Lower Rideau Crappies

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DalhousieLakeTom
Participant
Participant

Lower Rideau Crappies

Post by DalhousieLakeTom »

Well it was worth braving the cold and wind last night on the Lower Rideau. The bite was slow but steady and seemed to peak about 7:45PM. We left about 8:15 because somebody's brother wanted to catch the end of the Leafs game if you can believe it? I'd rather sit in the Clam and catch fish myself. We kept ten and threw three little guys back for next year. Their diet is changing over to freshwater shrimp already. I guess mid-winter is here.:lol: Most of the action was on small jigs tipped with Berkley Gulp waxies in a natural colour to mimic the shrimp that swim suspended under the ice. My biggest fish still fall to the Crippled Herring with a small dace minnow. Here's some pics.

Anticipation:
First one of the night
Pail of fish, get my knife!
Last edited by DalhousieLakeTom on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- --------------------------------------------------------
currently hunting or fishing, thinking about hunting or fishing, dreaming about hunting or fishing or dead...
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Great report Tom i love the night time crappie!
wheresdad
Participant
Participant

Post by wheresdad »

Nice crappies! How far down do these shrimp you mention suspend? Great advice - thanks!
DalhousieLakeTom
Participant
Participant

I keep asking the crappies but they never tell me! :lol:

Truth is it will vary dependent on time of year, time of day, oxygen levels and limited photosynthesis that occurs under the ice. The shrimp feed on small zooplankton and phytoplankton that are down there too. Most of the time at night I find the fish most willing to bite about 4-6 feet off the bottom in 15 feet of water. I would assume that is the sweet spot the shrimp are floating around in too.

My son with a couple slabs before we throw them in the frying pan:
currently hunting or fishing, thinking about hunting or fishing, dreaming about hunting or fishing or dead...
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Nice work on the crappies! I too would rather sit in a Clam and catch fish... Heck even just sitting in the Clam and not fishing would be better than watching a Leafs game. :wink:
fish and hunt
Participant
Participant

Post by fish and hunt »

Nice looking crappies.... bad call on the leafs game.
Fish and Hunt
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

sweet! nice report. hoping to get out there soon...
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
Lurewasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Lurewasher »

How much ice did ya have out there Tom? Any slush under the snow?
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good job slaying the crappie!! I'm hungry now... :D
DalhousieLakeTom
Participant
Participant

Lurewasher wrote:How much ice did ya have out there Tom? Any slush under the snow?
There was 18-20" of ice depending on where you fish. The only slushy spots I heard about were near Merrywood's Camp point. No top water out in the main basin where we fish.
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

nice slabs man :D
|Dore|
Lurewasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Lurewasher »

There was 18-20" of ice depending on where you fish. The only slushy spots I heard about were near Merrywood's Camp point. No top water out in the main basin where we fish.
........ wow that's amazing! I tryed Newboro saturday night and we were fishing on 7 inches of ice , covered with a foot of snow + slush inbetween !
The scarey part was, there was 3 half ton trucks out there. One of the fellows in a truck said they had alot more ice a hundred yards down the lake where he was fishing. 9 inches there !!!!! Another of the trucks got stuck in a slushy spot for a while ! Glad I walked out + dragged my gear out behind me on plastic sled! Oh yeah....it was colder than a witches heart ta boot !
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

nice crappies, good work
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass