A New Location!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

A New Location!

Post by riverdog »

Today was all about finding a new location for some ice fishing the only rule was it had to be on the Larry. I ensured that the AquaVu was fully charged, I love the Cam on the Larry for new locations.
Arrive to the new location see two guys jigging and running tip-ups, I decide pound out 8 holes about 50 meters from them. Sitdown in the frabill plop the AquaVu down the hole and see nothing, decide to look down the next hole bingo tall weeds with sand flats and perch hugging the bottom. Drop the jig down wham....Dam LM.Bass and again, and again time to move. Next hole about 30ft from a creek mouth, check ice thickness its good drill 2nd hole to place AquaVu (making my stand here our at least long enough to rest the arms and legs). As luck would have it my jig is visible on the screen right in the middle -Hooray :!: 8)
See nothing except my jig bouncing up and down, then comes the first perch and it inhales my jig. I proceed to pounded perch in this spot for the next 3hrs threw about 20 small ones back along with some small blue gill and sunfish, kept these ones for the freezer.

The 2 guys jigging were running minnows and they said the only caught a few, I was running some maggots on a JB lil'Mac yellow, although I think today the would have ate a pop can :!:
On the AquaVu I saw lots of perch a 5lb+ LMB, 2 pike, 1 mudpout, sunfish, blue gill, but no crappie which is what I was hoping for when I started out this morning!
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: A New Location!

Post by fiiish »

riverdog wrote:On the AquaVu I saw lots of perch a 5lb+ LMB, 2 pike, 1 mudpout, sunfish, blue gill...
That sounds pretty cool to watch a basically take your pick at what you want to catch. 8)
Too bad you didn't find crappie but... BAM! Excellent work on the perch! :D
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

that a boy!
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

Love the perch. Good job.

Raydar 8)
Keep your line in the water and there will always be a smile on your face.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Beauties! I've never eaten Perch....caught a lot of them, but I hear lots about how tasty they are.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Good job on the perch.

St. Lawrence crappie spots. Now there is something more closely guarded than favorite trout spots :wink:

Thanks for the report and pics.

Drop
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Bobber wrote:Beauties! I've never eaten Perch....caught a lot of them, but I hear lots about how tasty they are.
Rob, when you do have some prerch you are going to be so pi$$ed off for waiting so long to try them.

flour, egg wash, panko bread crumbs, fry, S & P, lemon wedge & eat.

Drop
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Way to dial em in RD
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Went back to the new location yesterday with wackyjig we hit the ice around 1:30pm. We drilled 5 holes, one for each of us and one for the AquaVu and 2 for tip-ups. I decided today to be selective of the perch I kept and tried to only keep males, well I was right on 4. We caught about 15 perch each. What was interesting is that we fished in a 2 man shack so our holes were about 40" apart and one hole seemed to produce bigger fish consistently. Another neat thing was about 4pm the perch seem to move and in came jumbo blue gill and sunfish by the boat load we managed a few, but with our bigger jigging spoons and teardrops we couldn't seem to hook'em. We switched to some small teardrops and caught 3 right away, then it was time to dismantle the shack before dark. Maggots again were the bait we tipped with and yellow jigs out fished white. Stuck around and fired up the latrens and drilled some new holes for crappie but no luck. Here is a pic of some kept for the table.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Nice looking catch.

Male perch only....good stuff.

Thanks for the update.

Drop