Any tips on ice fishing without the aid of a flasher.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Any tips on ice fishing without the aid of a flasher.

Post by Canmoore »

So I cannot afford a Flasher, but I love to ice fish. Are there any tips on locating fish without the aid of a flasher? Basically just keep moving around?
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

sell the house, buy a flasher.

Depending what species you're fishing, work the whole water column before moving too much, also, if you're on a good "spot" work different depths on that spot before moving to a different area completely.

I did fine with no flasher for years, however, with the flasher, I can honestly say that I've already caught fish that I wouldn't have without it and it's just fun too look at too!

Tight lines.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

get a lake map, drill lots of holes where you think the fish should be. Persistence pays off
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I have the same problem trying to get my kid hooked up. just getting into it so not looking at spending a lot of $$$ if he's not going to ice fish a lot. So for now we just keep drilling 2 more holes ( old hand auger is hard on old man ) everytime he goes out. Might look at getting a used power auger soon as ice gets thicker but not until next year would i think of getting a flasher and ice hut.

The biggest problem is I have hundreads of acres of ice with water that is less then 8 feet deep and weedy right in my backyard. Right now I am trying to get on the weedline and not having a lot of success. maybe I need to look for that 10 foot hole the old owner told me about.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Foxfire
Participant
Participant

Post by Foxfire »

Most times you can view the shore as to what its like under the water.
If there's a cliff or deep drop off , it will usually be deep under the water. same as a gentle slope , shallow depth.
A string of islands usually has shoals between or humps Etc.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I would vote for a portable or McGyver'ed to be portable fish finder if you have to use electronics.

That being said... the guys I went out with (as limited as it might be...) caught all kinds of targeted fish using nothing but common sense. Much less expensive than any electronics and easy to carry.

My take on most fishing is the same no matter the season; Rivers are harder than lakes. Blanket and generalized statement... but holds true more often than not...

So my advice... go to a lake... and drill holes...

Tight lines, dry feet and warm hands!

Craig
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

In the fall I scout the lakes from the boat with a GPS, and waypoint spots with good potential for ice fishing (shoals, weedlines, drops). This is species specific, basically predicting where you think they'll be in winter. Once ice-fishing, I just ATV to the waypoint and drill.

I do use an older portable LCD sonar ($30 used) when icefishing lakes that I have not yet scouted. Not so much for finding fish, but for finding structure.

Or, you can cheat, get out early in the morning and look for holes with blood on the ice. :D
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

If you go to a lake or river and you see a lot of holes in one spot that could be a good start thats what I do when I go to a new trout lake in the back woods
Good luck
Chris
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

That's how I started in Rockland too...fish where the shacks are.
BULLELBOW
Participant
Participant

Post by BULLELBOW »

Run and Gun !!!!!! Drill Drill and drill
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

use your fishfinder off your boat (if you have one)... if not, then borrow one, if not, then;

1. find depth you want to fish via drilling holes and measuring via counts on reel with drop of line to bottom.
2. start 1 foot off bottom
3. move up 2-4 feet at a time through column
4. stay no more than 15 min per hole then move on
5. Ask other fisherman around what depth fish are being caught at.

You should be able to find a cheap old fish finder off kijiji for under $50.00 that you could convert to use for ice fishing..... Ive seen people use regular fish finders ice fishing and they do work... Not ideal... but better than nothing
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

BULLELBOW wrote:Run and Gun !!!!!! Drill Drill and drill

Now thats what i'm talking about right there 8) 8)