Hardwater Rainbows

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Matt_Stothers
Participant
Participant

Hardwater Rainbows

Post by Matt_Stothers »

Well a few people might have seen me post earlier asking some details on ice fishing rainbows. I finally had time to get out this weekend and do some fishing. I started off shallow in less the 10 FOW and had a few strikes but couldn't get a hook in anything.

I figured those few weak strikes that I missed were perch or extremely small trout so we moved spots. We decided on a shoal right beside a point and tried around 15 FOW. It wasn't very long before my first bite. Set the hook and pulled up my first rainbow. I got it off the line put on another worm and it barely hit the bottum before I got another one.

We stuck around for another half hour or so without another strike before heading home. I'm pretty content with my first ice fishing out of the year and if I can figure out how to load pictures off my cellphone i'll get them up here.

Both were caught on a drop shot with a worm and both were a little over a pound. If anyone has any ideas for other baits to try or maybe a little insight on a more desirable depth feel free to chime in!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Good job on the trout !
|Dore|
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Nice job, but I'd like to know where you're going hahaha. I don't know anywhere for trout east of Ottawa. As far as I know, I have to drive back to the old stomping in the Pembroke area for that.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
Matt_Stothers
Participant
Participant

Post by Matt_Stothers »

I was about 25 mins past Deep River off of 17 heading towards North Bay. Shoot me a PM if you're in the area and we'll get out.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

I will do that, but as I suspected..... no trout by my place haha. Was it near Bisset Creek? I went for speckles up there in the park as a kid
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Way to stick with it and land your first! Always feels awesome to get a first of any species.