dows lake ice fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

dows lake ice fishing

Post by tbone1088 »

hi guys,
I just went down to shirleys bay in the afternoon, and the shoreline is starting to freeze up!!! about 2 feet out so far, won't be long until we are out there... does anyone know how dows lake is? I heard the ice fishing is good there, and it might be safe to go on sooner than shirleys bay.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

dows

Post by Seabass81 »

I could be wrong but I am assuming the NCC does not allow people to fish there due to safety reasons as well as they are preparing for the canal to open.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Not sure about ice fishing on Dow's Lake??? They remove most of the water out of the canal for the winter.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

You can't ice fish Dow's Lake as per NCC regs unfortunately.

Wallyboss, at its lowered level it's still 13' deep in the middle and out towards the stretch along Colonel By Drive. We were out there in the kayaks mid November and only found very sparse groupings of suspended fish. Not sure it was worth trudging thru all the zebra mussels and goose poop to launch that day :lol:
Tussman
Participant
Participant

Post by Tussman »

Hi,

Even when it is not drained Dow's lake is not a really good spot (except for Bass and carp).
If you wanna ice fish for Eyes ... I am in because I am really septic.

I was also about to say that is should be forbidden to do so .
(What about money's bay on the West side of the "lake" ?)

G
It's not over until it's over.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I hear there is GREAT camping at Dows Lake... Right up there with Beaver Lake in Montreal.

Craig
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Not sure it was worth trudging thru all the zebra mussels and goose poop to launch that day Laughing

NOT worth DON..that was my worst get in... :lol: :lol: ..and in the worst fishing to. :lol: .

but it sher was weird so many fish there in summer.m ho well.

BUT i did put myself in the line up for a beaver taill..i think i was the first this year. :lol:

joco
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I'm pretty sure that the entire canal (including Dow's Lake) from Hartwell Locks to the Congress Centre is considered to be part of the Skateway for the winter. That being said, I would not be surprised if the minimum ($100) fines are handed out to anyone that decides to cut themselves a hole and fish.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Working beside Dow's Lake, I noticed two years ago two guys ice fishing prior to the opening of the ice rink. They where facing the North-East side of where the Beaver Tail / Changing / Etc Shacks where. I stopped and asked them how was the fishing and chatted with one of them. He's the one who told me about having obtained the permission to fish just there prior to the Official opening of the ice rink. I had walked on the ice during a noon stroll. He was fishing in around 4' of water, being so close to the wall (20 feet away). He had caught only 3 small perch.

Don't know if this is still allowed.

Call the NCC.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Go after dark and you shouldn't be bothered. Just drill away from the area plowed for skating to avoid someone breaking a leg.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I didn't even know it was not allowed!? Someone posted on here awhile ago about fishing dows lake and he caught monster pike and also walleye I believe.... ps if I do fish it, it would only be for one trip at first ice. The canal isn;t going to be close to ready until at least mid december, I don't see why the NCC would mind? Anyone know for sure if its not fishable?
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

You risk getting a fine but I doubt anybody wearing a uniform will be heading out onto the ice to issue you one. Just make sure you make it evident you're fishing - people aren't used to folks wandering onto Dow's Lake this early and might call in the cavalry (fire rescue zodiacs, flashing lights, and eeegads! - maybe even the A Channel news).
Tussman
Participant
Participant

Post by Tussman »

That would be awesome though to be on TV just for that :D
It's not over until it's over.