Starters Ice Fishing Kit - I Want To Learn!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I think that the number 1 thing that you need to be comfortable is a VERY GOOD pair of boots. For me if I can keep my feet warm the rest is usually easy to warm up. Get yourself a pair of gloves and cut off the index finger and the thumb off of them so about 90% of your hands will be warm and you will have a good feeling of your rods.

As for the rods and reels when I first got into serious ice fishing I picked up stuff reasonably priced and now I upgrade a few combos every year to better stuff. If you are going to fish for panfish and crappy then you definetly need an ultralight. CT usually have the Frabill Panfish popper a good little UL that will not blow your budget. Put some 3-4lbs line on it. The rods for pike, walleye you can usually get a fairly good med ice rod for about $20.00. Line is of your choice. On tip ups I have 2 diff. line setups. Mono for colder days and braid or Dacron for warmer days.

If you ice fish for pike in Quebec(5 lines in) you might want to get yourself some deadsticks, I have a few that were made by YAD but I can't find them anymore.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

Craig, I'll be reading your ice posts with interest if you keep posting like you did this season, as I think we have the same philosophy about ice fishing.

I've only ever been once many years ago, and there was not much fishing. True it was with guys who I normally have to act as guide during softwater.

My dad never did, so I guess that's why I don't either. Stuck with these old logdriver tales of guys going under and whatnot.

That and I use the winter to build up my reserve of points to use in the softwater season.... which didn't really work this past year... but big hopes for next year.
So I wish you good luck and I hope it works out!

I think a post hole digger on the tractor would work good? :shock:
Knowing me the first few times I'd just take the bottom half of my spinning rod and try that for a bit... ha ha
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Craig....I would probably wait until the soft water freezes into ice..
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

You should also purchase/read Tim Allard book. It's great and contains alot of information on ice fishing. :lol:

never tought I'd be promoting a book lol but seriously it's like a bible of ice fishing !
|Dore|
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

For your set line(s), a couple of twigs, a spool of line and some splitshots will work just fine. If you want to get real fancy, clip a small bell onto the twig so it will wake you up if something takes whatever is on the business end.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

beachburger wrote:For your set line(s), a couple of twigs, a spool of line and some splitshots will work just fine. If you want to get real fancy, clip a small bell onto the twig so it will wake you up if something takes whatever is on the business end.
Come on now, we all know ice fishing is much more sophisticated than bass fishing. :lol:
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good spirit Craig.
Safety -
Firstly, know the water you are fishing. Esp be careful around current. When there are others on the ice, don't assume it is safe. I've seen idiots on 1" of ice. Wait for 4" minimum clear ice. If there is a lot of snow on the ice, be careful. In the spring, when the bubbles are rising in the ice, be esp careful. Eventually they reach the surface leaving honeycomb ice.

As others said, keep your feet warm first. Styrofoam boards under the boots work well. Then, if you still get cold, grab the hand auger and drill a few more holes. Nothing warms you up quicker than hand drilling 8" holes.

Try to always fish with a group. A survival suit is also good insurance, although it will only buy some time.

I actually enjoy ice fishing as much as softwater... sometimes even prefer it. Once you have a magical outing where the fish cooperate, you'll be hooked.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

After eating a plate of fresh crappies fillets you will be hooked for life.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

#1 Warm boots (Nothing kills a day faster than frozen toes)

#2 Ice rods are cheap and you can use a small real off a summer rod till you figure out if you like ice fishn. Tip ups for your other holes.

#3 Small spoons or jig heads with various plastics will cover most species.

After that, what ever you want spend money on flasher, augers, shelters, ex. :lol:
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Image[/img]