Flasher over fish finder?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

There is a worldwide flasher 'zombie' movement. Where were the masses of flasher zombies in the 70's...80's and 90's ??? They were in hibernation for the most part and not a real threat to wake the ice fishing community at large....not like it is in today's market

Zercom Marine had excellent flashers available long before the internet as did other companies. This did not include Vexilar or Marcum. Ultimately Zercom would be bought out by Techsonics of Humminbird fame...and they have zombie machines too.... :lol:

Obviously my opinion relies on what I choose to use and like. I have used all of the current models and made my decision based on use in the field. Heck.....even Ratsotail's old Zercom does a fantastic job as a tool to catch more fish.

Like I said....at the end of the day....it's whatever floats your boat. :D
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

hey guys can you tell me how much roughly a low end flasher unit or a cheap fishfinder would cost? I can't find them on the lebaron site.
CityIt
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CityIt »

Check out www.riversideoutdoors.ca Theyve got all the makes, Marcum, Vexilar, Lowrance, etc and will give you a price range...

I think my x67c was under 400....I cant remember exactly.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

With last winter being the first of which I regularily fished water 10 feet or deeper, the flasher (X67) rapidly became the best advantage I had for ice fishing. It's gotten to a point that ice fishing isn't fun without it, unless on Kesagami.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Grant... you're an old dood with a new age edge! :P :lol:
Marine5068
Participant
Participant

Post by Marine5068 »

Difference is that a flasher is a flasher and a lcd is a lcd.
Two different animals. Sort of like an apple and an orange comparison.
Falshers are generally used while running down the lake. They are usually used ice fishing and for seeing depth of objects mostly.
LCDs however have many more options onboard and can be used for all sorts of information gathering including structure shape, fish size and shape, type of bottom(hard soft) finding logs or sunken structure, water temperature, speed sensor reading, gps tracking, etc.
Most well equipped boats have both. Usually a flasher or two(one in dash and one in bow) and a lcd or two(same - in dash and in bow).
I run an Eagle ID series at the driving position for seeing depths and weedbeds, dropoffs etc while wizzing down the lakes. Aslo have a Hummingbird LCR 400ID at the bow attached to my Minn Kota 55PD powerdrive universal sonar to watch as I fish. It's a nice unit and not new by any means. But it has some great features and a large screen so I've kept it through th eyears. the best feature on it is the audible fish ID beeps. In other words a smaller fish(es) has a higher beep that a larger fish(es). This lets me fish more without looking at the screen as much. When I hear some lower beeps I know larger fish are under me.
They are both effective tools for fishing and you should learn how to read them properly in order to know what they tell you.
They are just tools though. Your brain is the master computer in fishing and a good game plan (and backup plan)before you hit the water is the best way to go.
Good Luck,
~Stan <"////////><
Catch Your Limit, But Limit Your Catch.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Moosebunk wrote:Grant... you're an old dood with a new age edge! :P :lol:
Thanks for the compliment Bunk :lol: . I've taken measures to board up the windows and doors to keep the flasher zombies at bay.

Fish on....
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

CityIt wrote:Check out www.riversideoutdoors.ca Theyve got all the makes, Marcum, Vexilar, Lowrance, etc and will give you a price range...

I think my x67c was under 400....I cant remember exactly.
X 67 Ice Machine $ 330.00 plus $ 10.00 shipping. Includes sonar unit, ice transducer, carrying case, battery, and charger.

HST-WSU Transom Mount Transducer $ 75.00.

http://www.radioworld.ca/

Billy Bones :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

slop wrote:Thanks for the compliment Bunk :lol: . I've taken measures to board up the windows and doors to keep the flasher zombies at bay.

Fish on....
But you've had 2 LCD units in the past few years no?... :lol: I swear you buy the other stuff just to be different... :lol:

RJ
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

CityIt wrote:I bit the bullet last year and bought an X67C... Best pruchase Ive made! Youre catches increase like you never couldve thought! Drill holes and almost immediately determine if fish are present or not, rather than sit at it for a while with nothing, hell they coudl be right there just not like your 'offering'. Also, the X67C is an all year round item, with a full functioning fish finder, all you need is a different transducer. Less than $100.
This post really got me thinking.. since I don't have a summer fishfinder this might be the exact thing for me, plus they come with the softshell case and seem to be available in the 300-350 price range

What do you guys think of the LCD display in the cold? does it get "slow" like other LCDs? Also -- I notice on some of the spec sheets that it's got "Zoom bottom tracking with 2X and 4X zoom-in/out and vertical zoom pan control" - does this zoom it at any part of the water column and/or lock on the bottom like the higher end vexilars and marcum units? Any experience with interference on this since it doesn't mention anything about that
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Highlander the X67C Ice machine has the Flasher option on it. I love using the flasher screen I have a Vex but I also have a X67 on the bow of my boat and it is mostly on flasher mode.

The X67C Ice machine does not have any issues with the LCD screen freezing. But it's not a VEX!!!!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

I love these Ford vs Chevy posts :D Flashers have been around for many years and they have certainly honed their technology, however there is something to be said for using your fishfinder in ice season as well. If you own say an HDS-5 which is a great size to move around with, the data you are seeing is as real time as the flasher you just read it a little differently. Also with a fish finder like the HDS-5 you can scroll back a look at you history. Both are great for the ice, and one isn't better than the other, just a little different. If you have already laid out the $$$ for a new fish finder and don't have the $$$ for a Vex, hummingbird or one of the other flashers give it a try this year. No matter what you use it will help improve your odds catching fish this season.
Gord

NPAA#553
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Post by FowlDawg »

Thanks a lot guys for the info. It most definitely will improve my outings this winter, I had never given much thought to sonars before. I found a good used portable fish finder. I'll put it to the test and let you guys know.

Chuck,
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron