Whats your preference?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
seanympho
Participant
Participant

Whats your preference?

Post by seanympho »

Hey everyone I am fairly new to the site and have read many awesome reports in that short time. I am looking for preferences or advice from all. I am planning a trip out on the Ottawa river tomorrow for some big Walleye (hopefully) I catch many around 13"-15" range but not much other than that. My PB was this summer one about 4 lb. I have been brainwashed for years that jig fishing tipped with minnow is the only way to go but have seen many reports on here showing there is life outside jigging. lol What your preference for big walleye. Conditions are going to be choppy, cold, sunny and water depth will be 22-40 feet with tons of structure and a fair amount of current. Thanks everyone in advance. Cheers!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Jigging is a great tech at this time of year........ but not the only way. Try bottom bouncing or you can always try trolling a 15-18 ft crank bait! See what works ! Walleye should be on fire at this time of year !
|Dore|
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

cranks if you want larger fish (imo) jigging = LOTS of fish....but if you want the bigger girls, cranks
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

Like the other guys said, cranks in the fall, and I hope your shooting for bigger walleye then the 13" to 15" range, thats bait fish :lol: :lol: :lol:
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
seanympho
Participant
Participant

Post by seanympho »

LOL Trust me nips I am shooting for much bigger and hopefully I find em' The only problem I have with the trolling side of things is I have a tempermental 70 hp 2 stroke and it just doesn't perform well for trolling. You guys are just tossin the cranks as well are you? The spot I am going has rumoured to limit out at an average of 4lbs plus. So if I am gonna get a big one it will be there. Cheers and thanks for the tips nips!
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

sean if youre going for bigger fish you should try some bigger baits. You wont get nearly as many bites, but the ones you do should be quality fish. If you can be out there at sunrise or sunset, try cranking big floating rapalas, usually perch color or original work really well, near the shoreline current breaks.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Hey you might try asking the guys you work with, I hear some of them are pretty good fishermen, aka- MP3, Big Guy and Slicky Ricky :) :) Oh yeah there is one more guy but I can't remember his name.
seanympho
Participant
Participant

Post by seanympho »

LOL Don't believe everything you hear Haulin Bass! Remember I have fished with a couple of them and spent most of my time baiting hooks for grown men! My 4 year old daughter is less work in the boat. :P
seanshuntin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seanshuntin »

Try drifting with harnesses right on bottom as if dragging a jig, worm or leach work well on our section of the big"O" at this time of year , less fish but much larger...
seanympho
Participant
Participant

Post by seanympho »

Great advice from all. Thanks and I will continue the search for the big eyes. Cheers
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

At this time of year I'm a huge fan of Fin-Techs 3/4 oz ZONE R jigs tipped with a 4" minnow - especially on the Ottawa. Just drift near shore current lines - you'll encounter the bigger fish.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

do they sell those jigheads at lebaron or canadian tire/walmart?
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Canadian Tire stocks some of the Fin Tech lineup - not sure about Zone Rs

Try Manotick Bait too.

Local retailers have access - give Gord a call at Bits & Baits

You can also order online at http://www.jigfish.com