Green Mess

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Green Mess

Post by dead_weight »

I've been fishing a few tributaries to the Rideau via my kayak. One thing that I've run across that I've always assumed can't be helped, is this green slime that coats the lure, swivel, etc. every time i make a cast ... I've seen it a lot over the years especially in very weedy areas where there's little water movement and limited depth (perhaps 3-6 feet). I hope to get out again this weekend since i've seen a couple of little stream on google earth that I doubt have had much fishing pressure due to the fact they would be difficult to get to by boat.

anybody have any tips on how I can get around this green stuff? I end up going with mostly topwater because it's such a pain to clear this stuff off each cast ... these areas have been really productive for me so I'll continue to clean the hooks but many of you have far more experience than I do and perhaps I'm overlooking something simple.

thanks
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Tried Texas rigged plastics? :idea:
Well and truly hooked!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

dead_weight,

Sounds like you've run into a spirogyra algae bloom. My experience has been that the algal blooms have a negative impact on the local fish population. If you're having to clean off your topwater baits my recommendation would be to move to another location.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

they tell me you ought to rinse your reel/rod and lures in clean water to get rid of the toxins.. and of course rinse your hands as well! there is even bloom in some of the small ponds etc not connected to the Rideau.. wonder what has caused this to be a bad year..
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Thanks for the input .. yes I've tried texas rigged .. helps a little but as soon as you are down a foot or so then you are into the green stuff ... one thing that comes to mind is that this is an area that could have substantial agricultural runoff ... but I have to say there are fish there .. last week in an hour before the skies opened up I got two bass in the 2 lb range and one pike around 5 lbs ... lost a couple as well ... it could certainly be algae because this stuff resembles what I think algae looks like ... I'll have to see if its there next spring.

I admit it's a bit of a silly question but sometimes I miss the obvious ... and it's not a huge deal since I can clean things off after a cast or two.

thanks
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

the problem is that if it is blue/green algea.. it is toxic and can cause health issues if injested.. taken a step further I would be very cautious of eating fish living in it. It can be aggrevated by the high nitrogen runoffs...
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/brochures/bluegre.html
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

I hear you C5 ... I would never consider eating these fish ... I admit they look ok but there has been decades of runoff onto this little brook ... and in summer it's almost stagnant ... strictly catch and release here. Good advice though...