Lowell Green and Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bait girl
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Lowell Green and Fishing

Post by bait girl »

Lowell Green is on CFRA asking what people think of the proposed band on barbed hook and fishing taxes.

Just in case anyone has an opinion and wants to call
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

I caught a bit of this on the radio .. anyone out there have an srticle on this? I checked the globe and mail and didn't see anything ??
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

I think there is a ban in Alberta but I haven't heard anything about a proposal for Ontario. OFAH would have something published for sure.

Who listens to Lowell Green anyway? :lol:
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

Lowell Green....the only thing i miss about living in Ottawa! He should stick to bashing the lefties though and not an issue like this. Barbless hooks would be next to imposible to enforce around here, the only people that would respect the law are people like most of us here who already know how to release a fish unharmed. you think that guy on the ganny using trebles for chinnys is gonna pinch his barbs...NO! Go to cataraquai river and see all the trebles being dragged for salmon, its disgusting from what i saw there. Yet me with my little egg-sucking leech is gonna pinch my barb?
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Mudpout wrote:Lowell Green....the only thing i miss about living in Ottawa! He should stick to bashing the lefties though and not an issue like this. ?
I think he was BASHING the lefties because this is another idiotic McGuinty brainfart!@!! :evil: :twisted: :x
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

LOL figers! I thought that was way outta left field for Lowell, and now I know the rest of the story!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Just checked the OFAH site...they have nothing on this proposal. Lowell is just blowing hot air as per usual.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:
Mudpout wrote:Lowell Green....the only thing i miss about living in Ottawa! He should stick to bashing the lefties though and not an issue like this. ?
I think he was BASHING the lefties because this is another idiotic McGuinty brainfart!@!! :evil: :twisted: :x
I listen to Lowell almost everday because my job entails being in my truck driving around pretty much all day. That said, it sucks and I need some comedy.....so I listen to L.G. :lol: :lol:

All I have to say is Lowell is the consummate brain fart. :lol: :lol:

Look out Krusty,,,,here comes Lowell :lol:
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I find it interesting that Lowell Green chose to fan the flames of this issue, yet hasn't taken up the cause of increased funding for the MNR so that it can enforce the rules already in place. Aren't these neo-con and Reform loudmouths supposed to be all about law and order? Where is his outrage about no money for enforcement?

@TroutnMuskieHunter: Alberta, that bastion of all things conservative, has had a barb-ban in place for years. If McGuinty is responsible for seeking a barb-ban, shouldn't you be praising him for doing what the Alberta uber-cons did? (I'm not a McGuinty fan - I think he's a complete incompetent, too.)
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:
Mudpout wrote:
Lowell Green....the only thing i miss about living in Ottawa! He should stick to bashing the lefties though and not an issue like this. ?

I think he was BASHING the lefties because this is another idiotic McGuinty brainfart!@!! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Mad

I listen to Lowell almost everday because my job entails being in my truck driving around pretty much all day. That said, it sucks and I need some comedy.....so I listen to L.G. Laughing Laughing

All I have to say is Lowell is the consummate brain fart. Laughing Laughing

Look out Krusty,,,,here comes Lowell Laughing
The man does have some good points like all of us from time to time.
Instead of listening to people talk on the radio,
why don't you buy Three In The Key CD's?
They will put you back into the past! :wink:
Mish
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

I enjoy listening to lowell green, to bad I missed that show! Personally, I am in full support of a ban on bards!

Sure it will lower catch rates, but survival rates will increase, even if just a little. And that will help our fish populations rise!
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

I think the ban in Alberta (barbless hooks only) and BC (single barbless hook only if I remember correctly) is focused on reducing mortality rate of trout. I don't think barbs are as damaging to walleye, bass or pike. I know when I was in Alberta last year there were a couple of small 10" trout I caught that would have died if I had barbs.

There are similar regulations in the Nipigon area in Ontario as well. From the MNR regulations for zone 6 (http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume ... 001326.pdf)

Only artificial lures may be used when
angling through the ice.
Only one barbless hook may be used.
No person shall use stringers,
impounding devices or live holding
boxes.
A person may hold fish, other than brook
trout or lake trout, in a livewell.
Walleye and sauger open from
Jan. 1 - Apr. 14 & June 10 - Dec. 31.
Northern pike open from Jan. 1 - Apr. 14
& 3rd Sat. in May - Dec. 31.
Northern pike S - 4 and c - 2, none
between 70-90 cm (27.6 in. - 35.4 in.)
and not more than 1 greater than 90 cm
(35.4 in.).
Brook trout open from 4th Sat. in
Apr. - Sept. 15.
Brook trout S - 1 and C - 0, must be
greater than 56 cm (22 in.).
Lake trout open from Mar. 1 - Sept. 30.
Lake trout - not more than 1 greater than
70 cm (27.6 in.).
No possession of live brook trout or lake
trout.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

I am not sure that barb on the hook is the problem here. Stingers hitting gills will still pierce them whether they have barbs or not, a swallowed hook is still going to cause intestinal damage whether it is barbed or not. Sure, we may more easily retrieve a barbless hook, but once the damage is done is it not too late?
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

Imagine jamming a needle into your thumb. Then imagine jamming a fish hook into your thumb past the barb. When you remove the needle and hook, which one do you think will cause more damage? Which one will take longer to remove?

I see your point with regards to a fish swallowing a hook or getting gill hooked. There isn't much you can do in those cases. But from experience, when a fish has all three hooks from a treble in it, it is significantly easier and faster to remove barbless hooks.

I am neither for nor against a ban on barbs. But I do see the reasoning on the ban in some areas (for trout only).