Hey Hot Dogs

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Hey Hot Dogs

Post by BigC »

Posting this just as a way to vent and in an attempt to get over my bad experience on the water Tuesday night.

Went out Musky fishing with a buddy and we were on our last troll and my motor died. Just wouldn't start for whatever reason (still no clue) and as it was just after dark I was a little worried about getting to the launch in Wendover. But wait there's two boats over on the QC side walleye fishing let me flash my lights, nothing. I can hear them talking so I yell that we need help, nothing. My fishing buddy yells over in French and we get, "come over here and we'll help you", followed by laughing.

I couldn't believe it. Now I know these were young 20 somethings but still not only did they not come to our aid they actually mocked us as we paddled for almost 2 hours to get to shore, yelling "hot dog". What does that even mean?

So to the three of you, karma takes time but I hope you gets yours, and if it happens when I'm out there you know what? I'll still help you.

BTW the one boat had a very very destinctive motor so I'm sure to come across you in the light of day before to long. Can't wait to put a face to the voice....hot dog!

BigC
Last edited by BigC on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

I think the direct translation for "hot dog" is "I'm an unsportsman like Jacka$$"

Maybe between the 3 of them they had a mouth full of teeth.
Eventually one of them will get stranded and a hard lesson will be learned.
muskie_magnet
Participant
Participant

Post by muskie_magnet »

Look at this post in light of the rumour of an incident while muskie fishing. Imagine you're out there by yourself and get a 10 " believer stuck in your face and these jerks won't come over and help you out.

Nice.

I'd like to believe that these guys represent a very small percentage of the guys you will meet out on the water.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

I know what you mean Magnet....was thinking that while paddling. What if I have a heart attack right now....I'd be dead!

BigC
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

wow, bad night to be on the Ottawa last night. Hooks in the face, dead motors, and I ran out of gas a mile from the launch in Rockland eventhough the gauge still said over 1/4...live and learn. I had a guy blow right by me while we tried to wave him down. Thankfully a guy walleye fishing nearby saw us paddling and gave us a tow to the launch. Now let Karma work its magic.

Yannick
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Sorry for your bad experience -- and you do hope that maybe these "hot dogs" (aka "weiners" if you get my drift) will find themselves in a similar pickle some time and will be relying on someone else's good will to help them out.

I agree that the eejits probably represent a very small percentage of boaters, particularly anglers.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

I hear incidents like these and they blow me away ... I can see them joking with you for a few minutes and then coming over to help ... honestly I can't think of a guy I have ever fished with or met while fishing that would not come over to help ... even some guys that I thought were dinks would still help someone ... especially stranded in a boat with go knows what kind of problem.

I mean we've all been there right ... gear breaks down ... perhaps there should be some sort of regulation tied to this new boaters exam which states you need to help someone if they signal you for help or you lose your license ... not that it would help if these boaters were not from ON ... totally maddening ...
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

That was rather rude of them to "ham" it up while your motor was disabled

So far this thread has Hotdogs, Wieners, and now pickles and ham... I need to go eat lunch!!
:D
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Out4trout wrote:That was rather rude of them to "ham" it up while your motor was disabled

So far this thread has Hotdogs, Wieners, and now pickles and ham... I need to go eat lunch!!
:D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

What a shame! You can bet they weren't Hawkers!
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

What happened to you is too bad and a very bad left over feeling for you.
It appears that we still have ignorant young people as we have had for many years, on the Quebec side. By the way, I am from that side and I would never let a boat of people be stranded.
Remember where they were fishing?, because maybe that was a HONEY HOLE, so go steal it!!!
Keep the faith in humanity, and that there are helpful Quebecers :)
Daner
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

dead_weight wrote:... not that it would help if these boaters were not from ON ... totally maddening ...
Boater Card is CANADA wide. QC-SK-NL-BC... all the same card.

Craig
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

We can guarantee those jokers were not members of this community. Mostly this year my neighbour and I have been fishing around Shirley's Bay. So far, we have towed two boats and helped one overturned canoe.

In all three incidents, we were not the only boats in the water and not the only ones offering help...we just happened to be the first on the scene. In my experiences most fisherpeople are friendly, helpful, courteous and just downright good people.

Gerry
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

We can guarantee those jokers were not members of this community. Mostly this year my neighbour and I have been fishing around Shirley's Bay. So far, we have towed two boats and helped one overturned canoe.

In all three incidents, we were not the only boats in the water and not the only ones offering help...we just happened to be the first on the scene. In my experiences most fisherpeople are friendly, helpful, courteous and just downright good people.

Gerry
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Awful
I fish when SHE lets me!!!