crazy morning with some heartbreak

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

crazy morning with some heartbreak

Post by nips »

I made it to the rideau around 6 after a stop at timmies. It was a nice calm overcast morning with the odd beam of sunlight making it through the clouds, and I was the only one on the water until around 9:30. I threw a topwater for about half/hour at one of my spots with no signs of fish, so I put on a big jerbait and worked the same spot nice and slow and had a strike that didn't hook up and caught this little guy Image.

So then I start working this long weedline probably 1km long, and then i get another strike that doesn't hook up (a good size ski) on the jerkbait. Then I changed it up a bit, put on a M/G spinnerbait and starting to catch pike one after another. Proably around 15 pike were caught on the spinnerbait when I changed it up again because after all I was fishing for musky. Put on a double cow-girl and once again pike after pike and 1 musky follow the figure 8 3 times and descided to tour on, after the fifth pike I put the jerkabit back on. Now Get ready for this :cry: :cry: by this time I have worked down the weedline to another one of my spots :wink: and whammmmmmmmm, fish on and its no pike. Big musky and im by myself, managed to net the big girl in record time. Its around 46-47 inches, I remove the hooks with little effort considering she had it sideways across her yap. My fisrt big ski of the year right!!, i go for the camera and the damn fish jumped out of the net and swam away. I couldnt believe it, i didn't even get to take a picture. :twisted: UNREAL Then the thunder started to clap and i made my way to the dock. Off the water by 10. Hell of a morning and I give props to the acrobatic musky, she didn't want to be on camera
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Way to go Nips! I wish I had my ON fishing permit... I would have taken you up on your open seat.

Do you do evenings or nights?

I remember seeing a few shows about the night bite... seems like fun!!

Craig
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

too bad you weren't able to take a pic but still a great report.
8)
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

I get out at night when I can, usually around the full moon and new moon phases or really whenever the wife will let me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Pics are great but you cant beat an easy release like that :lol: ...Nice work Nips. I am hoping to get out next week for my first shot at Musky this year. Hope to do half as good as you did.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Great report !
I had similar experience with my dad this morning.
Several fish ( high 40") followed and one played with the bucktail
like it was our pet but they didn't bite :)
100% (C)atch (P)hoto (R)elease
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Ya it sucks not having the picture, the first two I got over 50 I had no camera.

The bright side is...your sure to catch more of them, and bigger ones, making this morning a distant memory. Also, with the high water temps releases can be difficult, that was an easy one and best for the fish.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good job on the Musky!! You've been doing really well this year, this catch was likely good karma for offering the seat.
A great report and story - a pic would have been a nice keepsake for you and nice to share, but you do get to keep the memory forever regardless.

I don't take too many pics of catches - that way the fish can grow over time in my memory! :D
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Nice fish dude !!!
|Dore|
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

That's too bad Nips, the price we pay for fishing alone.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

That is painful to hear! But you successfully battled and boated what was undoubtedly a very impressive fish (albeit with springs like Tigger), so that's the best part anyway. Congrat's, Nips, even though the fish got the last laugh.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.