Dog Lake Lakers?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Dog Lake Lakers?

Post by Trisomy21 »

Lived here for 15 years and I've never fish for the Lakers, anyone ever fish here and what are you using?
Trisomy21
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Trisomy21 »

Seriously, nobody? Well I guess it's jigs and minnows
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

I thought Dog was stocked with Splake, didn't know it had lakers....
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

lakers?

Post by JZ »

Are there Lakers in Dog? I have caught splake didnt think the MNR stocked splake in lakes with lake trout. I hope they dont because splake are year round and lakers have a very limited season and there is no definative way to tell them apart without opening them up.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

It did have natural lakers but like many lakes became marginal. We used to catch some before they stocked it. You didn't catch many but sometimes it'd suprise you and if you did they were big. The last I heard a laker caught was at least 10 years ago or more. They stock it with splake now because they don't go as deep....close but just enough to stay out of the deepest basins where oxygen levels are critical. They tried rainbows once but they were a bust.

However with zebra mussels and clearer water and sunlight reaching deeper there could be more oxygen now in the deepest basins. Hopefully cleaner water. Maybe they'd come back. Still it gets very warm in summer and really blooms. Lots of cottage effluent and still some poor farming practices around the lake.

Would I say there are still lakers in the lake... NO. Would it suprise me if there were....NO