Fish cameras

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fish cameras

Post by gerrymackenzie »

Does anyone have any experience with Fish TVs? What are the pros and cons of these underwater cameras? What are the good brands, what are the brands to stay away from? Where can I get one of these?

Thanks for any information.

Gerry
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I bought an aqua vu last year used - My first outing with it was awesome within 10min a pike was stalking my tip-up :shock: then wham then chomp and spit :x was able to set all 3 other tip ups and able to see my small jig about 10 ft away. Was way cool!
Downside - bulky - cable is way to long 100ft even 50ft for what I do is to much - need tripod or something to control camera depth and angle - if you buy used ask to see it work and tell seller you want battery charged so it works - as for fish TV have no experience with
Paddler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paddler »

Gerry,

I tried one a few years ago and found it hard to use.

I don't recall the brand.

But it was simply the IR camera with a small stabilizer fin that got lowered by the cord.

The cord was thin and we couldn't get it to stabilize so it was really hit or miss as to what you saw on the camera.

I know they have since come a long way.
Shop around for different features.
Good luck.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

It all depends on the water clarity and conditions that you're using the camera on....I've tried the same camera on a clear trout lake and then here on the Ottawa River.....there's no comparison as the river view is blurred due to the stained water and the sight range is 2' MAX!!!!..

The other thing I didn't like about the camera was not being able to see the screen on a clear day without putting a towel or jacket over my head and camera....

In my opinion, I give a thumbs down :wink:
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

I agree i have a fish cam from cabelas and it depends on the color of the water, but its awsome when you do locate a huge school of perch or crappie on it and see how they react to the bait.

Chen K
fishermccann
Participant
Participant

Post by fishermccann »

I have an Aqua-view Quad 360 with 4 cameras . I love it , on Simcoe you can see the bite that you cannot detect on the rod. Every one in the hut gets their own view of their own spredder. It is really only good for ice fishing as it is hard to see anything if there is particles floating in the water. If you use it under the ice you need one with good lights.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

I have the fish TV and like it. I have used it both in summer and winter. Through the ice in clear water you get a great view and only have to turn the wire gently to get a look around. When ice fishing for panfish I can hook the cord through the tail and have the camera looking down at the bait. You can watch the fish suck in the bait and set the hook before any bite registers on your rod. I have also used it on Lake Scugog to check for weed edges when ice fishing which increased success just by moving the hut to the weeds. On a side note I use a full size trolling motor battery to power it so I have no idea how long 10 C cells would last.