Murphy's Point Provincial Park or Weslemkoon Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Popr
Participant
Participant

Murphy's Point Provincial Park or Weslemkoon Lake

Post by Popr »

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what the fishing and camping was like around Murphy's Point. I was thinking of taking my son camping and bass fishing there next week. I also heard that Murphy's Point has some boat in camp sites on islands. Any suggestion on sites would be great. Guys, let me your thoughts. I'm caught between fishing in the East (I live in Peterborough) for the first time or going to Weslemkoon Lake bass fishing.

Any thoughts on where you would go!

Thank for your time.

norm
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Murphy's is a fantastic campground.....great secluded sites with everything you need....

Boat Launch is great...

Fishing is some of the best we have in Eastern Ontario...

RJ
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Murpys point is an excellent place with lots to do.

Fishing is great....pike ,bass, lake trout...lots of them.

There are several boat in sites that offer a great view of the water. Any one of the sites that are on the main bay are what you are looking for, close to the launch but out of sight and private..and close to all the fishing you want.

I have been going to Murphy's point or an island on the Rideau for about 13 yrs and it is a beautiful place.

As far as bodies of water go BRideau is one to see.

You can go hiking, see a mine, old homesteads, and the park has 2 great beaches...store and more often than not you'll see lots of dear and animals in the park...

If you decide to go ...you will not regret it.

Have fun!!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

muskymatt wrote:Murpys point is an excellent place with lots to do.

Fishing is great....pike ,bass, lake trout...lots of them.

There are several boat in sites that offer a great view of the water. Any one of the sites that are on the main bay are what you are looking for, close to the launch but out of sight and private..and close to all the fishing you want.

I have been going to Murphy's point or an island on the Rideau for about 13 yrs and it is a beautiful place.

As far as bodies of water go BRideau is one to see.

You can go hiking, see a mine, old homesteads, and the park has 2 great beaches...store and more often than not you'll see lots of dear and animals in the park...

If you decide to go ...you will not regret it.

Have fun!!
No really Matt what do you think of Murphy's Point... :lol: The man loves it for sure as do I ...All what Matt and RJ said...The island camps book quickly so check on the internet to see if any are available.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I would vote Big Rideau as well... now if you had said Wabigoon instead of Weslemkoon, that would change my opinion!! :D
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Murphys Point

Post by Joey Rat »

Don't know the other park but Murphys is great even if you can't get one of the boat to sites. Great ramp, lots of parking for trailers. Some of the sites can be a little tight with a boat and trailer but there are some very good ones as well.

We fished Big Rideau today and caught several fish in 2 - 4 lb range.
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Norm,
Have fished alot up near Weslmkoon for tout but not the lake for bass . It is very heavily fished in the summer and you can catch bass, but it is a work out apparently. Effingham Lake near by coud be another option for you.
H&S
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I've been to Murphy's Point PP twice wit hthe family now and it's been fantastic both times. We make a point to walk around each park we visit and check it out "for next time", and the sites at Murphy's Point are probably 90% AWESOME.

Use their online site booking tool to get a pretty good feel for the sites you are booking (use the maps and their ratings of "Poor / Average / Good" for privacy and quality). We'll always use that tool if possible and book a site with top marks for privacy and quality, and something somewhat removed from any major parking areas or camp activities like an ampitheatre. That way you avoid the constant car and foot traffic passing your site.

Have a great vacation!

PS: Caught a few nice bass from shore at Murphy's Point using a toad in the lily pads. There's a great beach there as well for the kids.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Norm, I've never camped there but I have had some fantastic fishing there.
Popr
Participant
Participant

Post by Popr »

Guys,

I would just like to say thank you once again to everyone for their thoughts and information. Its a new lake, let the adventure begin.

Norman
Livebaitpro
Participant
Participant

Weslemkoon Lake

Post by Livebaitpro »

Hi to all.

Thinking about going to Weslemekoon this summer.
Is there pike in this lake?
What would you suggest to use for lakers?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Murphy's Point Provincial Park or Weslemkoon Lake

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Yes, there are Pike in Weslemkoon...but I've only caught hammer-handles, and they are definitely not the most populous species in this lake.

For Lake Trout, run small spoons and body-baits...cisco colours (silver/blue) seem to produce good bites. Last trip, we did well pulling a J9 jointed Rapala in that colour, 50 feet behind the ball. That was September, and 50 to 80 ft was most productive. With a map and sonar the deep spots are easy to find. We've also done OK jigging, if it's not too windy. White/silver fleck tubes, and Sebile Vibratos got their attention.

However, most guys (me included) go there for Bass...both brown and green. It's probably one of the best lakes in the Province for LargeMouth. The lake is actually a flooded reservoir, with lots of back bays that have extensive stump fields and shallow cover. If you like pulling bucket-mouths out of the slop with a pool-cue flippin' stick, and 65lb, braid...this is your spot. Topwater frogs, weedless jigs and Texas-rigged plastics can all be good. There are legitimate 8lb fish in this water.
The tug is the drug..