Catch and Release for Dow's Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Catch and Release for Dow's Lake

Post by muskymatt »

Pints wrote:I know this doesn't effect very many of you, but I feel since the canal and Dow's Lake is a virtual closed environment (from Hogs Back to the Ottawa River). It should be a strictly catch and release zone. This would maintain the food base for the other fish there; mainly bass.
I have notice the gradual decline of the size of the sunfish I've been catching there over the last five years, and I can only contribute it to the unrestricted harvesting of sunfish.
Just my humble opinion!
Feel free to comment.
Back to the topic..
:roll:

As Pints
feels
And says
Just my humble opinion
I don't think there has been any studies done on any panfish but I know MCI has done telemetry (sp?) studies on muskie in the lake and while determining that hugh die offs occured( I think there was over 200 bass) it was determined this was a very subtantial die off for the lake to sustain.

I will try to get the exact numbers.

I find it had to think that bigger fish will thrive in a scenario such as d lake presents for them.
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

TLunge wrote:I cant understand why some people are gung-ho on banning things. If there was some solid evidence that would support a ban thats one thing, but there is none.
I think the reason why there is lots of smaller fish may be because there is to many of them competing for food and they stay smaller, if the pannies were thinned out the result would likely be bigger pannies in the end so a ban might backfire on you big time.
Also it is not a closed system, fish come up and down the canal and locks to come and go from that lake so no.
Interesting, so far I haven't seen anyone being gung-ho. Also, please suppy your solid evidence for your statements:
"I think the reason why there is lots of smaller fish may be because there is to many of them competing for food and they stay smaller"
and
"Also it is not a closed system, fish come up and down the canal and locks to come and go from that lake "
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Well the canal system leading in and out of the lake is solid, its there, you can go look for yourself, I dont have to back that up. And Im not the one thinking any fishery should be banned......so.....back at ya! What evidence have you to support banning a fishery?
CityIt
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CityIt »

Another reason why theer has been such a decline in fish populations in Dows Lake could also be from the 'new' canadians who fish and don't/won't understand our laws of conservation....as well as;
'Limit your catch, not catch your limit'

just my 2 cents....
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

CityIt wrote:Another reason why theer has been such a decline in fish populations in Dows Lake could also be from the 'new' canadians who fish and don't/won't understand our laws of conservation....as well as;
'Limit your catch, not catch your limit'

just my 2 cents....
Amen to that, and since they cannot enforce out of season regulations I think a catch and release policy would be beneficial on Dow's and the canal. I doubt the fish there could be too good for anyone either, it's pretty filthy. No matter what happens I think there should be more conservation officers on Dow's, and they could make some serious fines if they did, if they dont fall for the "dont speak english" lines :lol:
CityIt
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CityIt »

well now the MNR has started putting out multi-language regulation books....so hopefully this will 'encourage' the 'new' canadians to adapt to our laws......and the CO's shouldn't be allowed to take....I don't understand' for an answer.....if you're caught..you get a fine...end of story.....

as well as a great prescents (*sp) of CO's everywhere...not just Dow's. I fished all over the place during the winter and didn't see ONE officer....and it wasn't like I was fishing in 'back' lakes...as well as at derby's....where you'd think you'd see atleast one throughout the day....

That's the end of my 'rant'.....
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

TLunge wrote:
Hookup wrote:
TLunge wrote:I cant understand why some people are gung-ho on banning things. If there was some solid evidence that would support a ban thats one thing, but there is none.
Well, sometimes you do not need the research to tell you that getting hit with a bat in the head is a bad idea... you just know cause it's obvious...

The problem is, some people have different versions of what is obvious... to you, this "bat in the head" will not hurt unless proven, to others, they do not want to take the chance....
Your analogy makes no sense, what is happening in Dows that we cant take a chance on? What evidence have you got of anything that would support banning a fishery?
I wasn't necessarily directing the analogy at you TLunge. Sorry if it came across that way, it wasn't intentionally a stab at you. My Bad.

I was simply trying to say that sometimes people get hung upon waiting for science and reports and analysis when the obvious answers are right there in front of them... I didn't mean anything derogatory towards either of you.... but in re-reading I can see how it looks like I was attacking you...

Sorry mate... :oops:
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I kept a few panfish from there last spring...and let me tell you, they taste as bad as that place smells at ice out. Never again. I can't imagine anyone going back for seconds, but I guess a lot of people eat fish out of there on a fairly regular basis. I guess C&R would be something to consider.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

My point was, and not to hijack a thread, was that the Canal from D.Lake to the NAC is DISGUSTING......

You see everything from garbage, to heroin needles, to crunch, to condoms to dead bodies in there.

It is GROSS! Imagine what the fish are nibbling on! :oops: :oops:

As for conservation...I wouldn't know. I'd never fish that area and in the 2 years I worked there I saw 1 guy on 1 occassion fishing by the stairs under the bridge by NDHQ.

There were guys fishing ling and other garbage feeders up by the Chateau Laurier. They'd throw corn in and catch them on tipped hooks.

I also saw the NCC's clean-up crew wading in the mud after ice out cleaning up all the junk.
Carmine
Participant
Participant

Post by Carmine »

i dont think that many people eat the fish out of there anyways and if you do after reading all the coments they wont anymore so it pretty much is catch and release already and if you have been fishing dows recently the reason there is no fish is cuz there is no weeds i was there last july and was smashing all kinds of fish
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Carmine wrote:i dont think that many people eat the fish out of there anyways
If someone eats fish from Dow's Lake, by now the brain damage they suffer will prevent them from even reading this!

And for sure with heroin needles and human bodies as the main food, we will soon be catching some beauties like these:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/195539/

BM
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I've fished there often last summer and everytime I fished there I could see on the other side the white bucket brigade was keeping everything they caught. Looks like they were using 3" live shiners as bait too.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Was over there Tuesday evening, and the white bucket is now a green storage bin. I wonder how many three inch bluegills it holds?
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

:shock: :shock: :shock: ....hopefully not the green storage bin I had up for sale in the classifieds that Troutnmuskiehunter bought!.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

slop wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: ....hopefully not the green storage bin I had up for sale in the classifieds that Troutnmuskiehunter bought!.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Naw....I just finished modifying it with a drain plug and a hole on top for my aerator.....I'm now ready with my Muskie livewell for when the season starts!! :lol: :lol: