Minnows in Kingston?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kingston-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Minnows in Kingston?

Post by kingston-Mike »

Hi everyone,

Looking for a baitshop that sells minnows in the Kingston area. I know there's a place near Battersea, a 20 minute drive north but am hoping there's someplace closer to town??

Thanks!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Kingston is sorely lacking in that regard.
There may be someone selling minnows, but if so, I'm not aware of it.

Like you said, Mark's in Battersea would be the best bet.
Dirtus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

minnows

Post by Dirtus »

nothing close, verona, perth road , and marks in battersea......
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

I've had mixed experiences with the guy just south of verona in the old quarry. He's there maybe 1/2 the time and it's always on those weekends you really need him the place is locked out with "sold out" on the fence...
kingston-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: minnows

Post by kingston-Mike »

Dirtus wrote:nothing close, verona, perth road , and marks in battersea......
Perth Road???
Aciddrop28
Participant
Participant

Post by Aciddrop28 »

St. Lawrence Outfitters on Reynalds Rd. just east of Gan. off the parkway, cloosest I've found to Kingston.
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

NoMinnows for you

Post by Superdad »

Perth Road is Division Street.

There are no other bait shops in Kingston.

Marks in Battersea is closest, some in Napanee, River Road North (RR9) near Huff Rd.

I didn't think that St Lawrence Outfitters in Reynolds sold minnows.

Something lacking in Kingston - AGAIN.....

Cheers

David aka Superdad
Kingston
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Just as you enter the village of Perth Road, opposite the general store is a place that sells minnows. They have a sign up for Votary Maple Syrup, and did have a small sign advertising minnows. Earlier this season they did have mud minnows, as a buddy of mine reported to me, but I have no idea if they "usually" have any.

Mark Noble in Battersea is just about always your best bet locally. He not only sells them but also traps them and has quite a few bodies of water for which he has minnow taking licences.

Bait shops have been kicked in the groin repeatedly by the Ontario government, and small operators generally can't make a go of it financially.

Doug

PS) Leonards, south of Verona, is absolutely NOT dependable. As has been mentioned, he is very often CLOSED.
Aciddrop28
Participant
Participant

Post by Aciddrop28 »

St.. Lawrence Outfitters usually has a pretty good variety of minnows, from small to large muds, shiners, and suckers up to 8-10" .....sometimes they sell out pretty quick so if you were to make the trip out I would sugest callng first to be sure they had some in.
kingston-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kingston-Mike »

Thanks for all the responses. The one's I wasn't aware of was St. Lawrence Outfitters (would make it about a 30 min. drive) and Perth Village. As it stands, if I'm going west (Hay Bay etc) = the fellow near Huffs road has always had (30 min. drive). I've been to Marks in Battersea (20 min drive) if I'm going to Dog or Loughborough Lake.

Have driven by the Quarry near Verona and have never seen any traffic coming/going, from what I can see here, not very reliable.

Sad though that there's no one in Kingston for local fishing close to town. That would make Marks the closest choice.

Thanks again!
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

There is also Norris's in Westport if your out that way...they have great bait, as they trap their own as well. It is frustrating that Kingston does not have any place to buy bait. It has always puzzled me why Kingston does not have any outdoor (hunting/fishing) stores outside of Canadian Tire. Considering the amount of hunters and fisherman in the area you would think they would be able to make a profit...

orrsey
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Kingston has had good shops.....

The Howe Brothers had an excellent hunting and fishing shop just off Gardiners Road, but the year of construction killed store traffic and sunk them. Mike now manages the sporting goods section of the Gardiners Road Canadian Tire. I do not recall them having minnows, however.

Joe Anderson ran several businesses, starting on Princess Street and eventually ending up on the Golden Mike Road, several names including Rod and Reel. But Joe ran afoul of the gun cops and was closed down. "Trapper Jack" took over Joe's shop and some of the inventory, but he could not make a go of it financially either. Neither Joe nor John sold minnows, as far as I can remember.

For fishing/hunting stores, we still have a licenced gun dealer - Ron Greer of Greer's Guns, who runs a small shop from his home. (613) 546-2884, and Ron is an excellent fellow to deal with. There is also a new business in Harrowsmith selling ammo and reloading supplies. Not sure what he calls the business, but the owner has had an equipment rental business for a number of years and took part of his shop to turn it into a gun business.

But we have no specialty fishing shops, and no minnow sellers........all of the bait sellers we have had could not make a go of it financially. So I suggest that Kingston is not probably a place where a bait shop is going to succeed, as much as we would like to see it happen. :(

Maybe we can get Corcan to open a bait shop at one of the prison farms that are closing............ :roll:

Doug