Musky Newbie, Questions + !Answers!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fish'n Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fish'n Buddy »

big net, big rod, big line, big lours, big pliers, big leaders, big rod holders, troll fast and hang on!!

Everythings bigger in muskieville!!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Fish'n Buddy wrote:big net, big rod, big line, big lours, big pliers, big leaders, big rod holders, troll fast and hang on!!

Always put the health of the fish your BIGGEST priority.....

8) 8)
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Bass Addict wrote:
Fish'n Buddy wrote:big net, big rod, big line, big lours, big pliers, big leaders, big rod holders, troll fast and hang on!!

Always put the health of the fish your BIGGEST priority.....

8) 8)
Bang on Paul!!!....hey, that sure is a nice healthy looking Muskie in your avatar!! 8)
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Just out of curiosity , is the laker in your avatar from the Calobogie area

:wink: :lol: :lol:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Bass Addict wrote:Just out of curiosity , is the laker in your avatar from the Calobogie area

:wink: :lol: :lol:
:evil: :evil: shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!....it's from the "hills" :wink:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I never knew you spoke Japanesse also! :shock:
But all jokes aside, I think he going to an MCI meeting within his area would allow:

1) The info he seeks
2) Good chance of getting quality, second hand gear at a good price.
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

I to am new to the world of the Musky angler. I spent two trips last year hunting Musky my first trip allowed for a 40+ inch fish to follow to the boat, my second trip I never saw hide nor tail of a fish. That first fish that I did see however hooked me (no pun intended).

I am currently fishing with Quantum Tour Edition PTI Bait cast reels and I just dont think they will handle the stress of throwing a Musky bait and the force of reeling it in. I have started to look at new reels and I am looking at the Abu Garcia Revo the new high capacity reel.

Does anyone have any info or recomendations on the reel?

I am also looking at a NET any info or recomedations, I use the Lebaron Book alot to shop from if there is one in there that folks could recomend it would be greatly appreciated.

Well I have to get to bed soon, I have the sled loaded and the new ICE 45 and I will be chasing whities tom. and hopefully some eyes and will try to post some pics.

Thanks for any advice as I am new to the Musky thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

I ordered this from cabelas and had it delivered to my house for a great price......

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 20285&rid=

With a 7' heavy rod...Works great. I have since upgraded but I still use it when I bring other people out. Good combo for around $200.

Also, you can check out JB's which is around Weston area...not too bad a spot. Protacklemuskyshop is a great place and Stacey is really helpful. He's north of Belleville.

I'd start with a bunch of fudally tandem spinenrs in black and browns......Maybe a topraider for when you want to cast....Honestly, when I first started, that's pretty much all I used. Even now, those are my mainstays and I'd like to think I've been pretty successful thus far, especially for only really fishing them for the past 2 years.

The best thing you can do is spend time on the water and track where you are catching/seeing them.

Good luck
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Also dont go out alone in the late fall,allways fish with a buddy.Watch yer hands with those teeth.Read up on proper release methods.
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

Buckshot wrote: I am currently fishing with Quantum Tour Edition PTI Bait cast reels and I just dont think they will handle the stress of throwing a Musky bait and the force of reeling it in. I have started to look at new reels and I am looking at the Abu Garcia Revo the new high capacity reel.

Does anyone have any info or recomendations on the reel?
Are you refering to the Revo Toro? The Toro is getting some good reviews on some of the other forums. Since buying my Calcutta TE, I didn't think I'd ever buy another casting reel again but after doing the touchy feely thing on the Revo, I've decided i'm going to buy it. If you're looking at a low profile reel comporable to the Toro, check out Shimano's Curado 300E.

Peppino
xxcanuckxx
Participant
Participant

Thanks guys!!!

Post by xxcanuckxx »

Sorry if it seemed like I disappeared, I set the topic to notify me when I got a reply, it didn't...

I am taking in all the info and digesting.

I hope to get out to JB's soon, I just have to convince the boss we need to do a work related fieldtrip!

I think I have decided on a Shimano compre rod, it seemed to be one of the rods everyone has mentioned. At least a three ounce lure weight. And I think I will be going for seven feet or under. Transportation is an issue, I would like to not have to strap my rod to the roof of the car.

As far as the reel, Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 or 7000 series. The suggestion was that if I do 100% trolling, get one with a line counter.

Frabil seems like the way to go for a net.
I would use a cradle, but it just seems like it would be too difficult in a pontooner.

I was told for line to do a superbraid at 80-100lbs.
36" or longer leader of fluorocarbon if possible.

Both of those fish were caught on a grandma 9" lure, walleye(?) pattern.

So for the other newbies keeping track:
Rod:
7',
Medium Heavy to Extra Heavy Power,
Medium Fast to Fast Action,
20-50lb / 0.014-0.018in line weight/diameter (which I guess is the mono measurement, so superbraid at that diameter will get you your 80-100lbs test),
3oz. or heavier lure rating,
1 piece
I think I will be getting: Shimano Compre CPCM68XH

Reel:
The Abu Garcia 6500C3 (1115458) was the most suggested reel for a dual purpose reel (casting and trolling)
3 ball bearings
5.3:1 gear ratio
14/245 line weight/length

Net:
Frabill seems to be the most suggested net.
Features to look for:
strength/size needed for a muskie sized catch, knotless mesh that is easier on a fish’s scales, eyes, slime coat and fins
I think I will be getting: Frabill 28'x50" PowerCatch Kwik Kradle Landing Net Model: 8465 A cradle I might be able to use!

Mini Bolt Cutters:
Most times its better to cut the hook.

Line:
Superbraid 80-100lbs test
It sounds like too thick of a line to me, we don't even use that heavy a line for tarpon!
I am going to stick with 30-40lbs I think, maybe 50lbs, probably powerpro.

Leaders:
80-100lbs
Trolling: 36"to 48" Fluorocarbon if you can afford it, why not try and make your own!
Casting: 18" steel

If I missed something or you have a comment let me know and I can edit...
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Welcome to Fish-Hawk.

DropShot'r
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

Sounds like you have the idea for a good musky set-up. I would definitely go with a minimum of 50lb super line as it is well worth it when trolling a big bait at 4 or 5 miles/hour and it get a big hit or snag a dead head. I am still just getting into the musky fishing. I am will be shopping for a net soon as well as another reel for my second rod.

Cheers,
Nk
tdunc
Participant
Participant

Post by tdunc »

If you are going to buy an abu reel to make sure that it is made in Sweden and not China. The ones made in Sweden are stamped as such on the side of the reel. They seem to be made with a higher degree of quality, IMO
HuskieMuskie
Participant
Participant

Line Strength

Post by HuskieMuskie »

Yes, 80 to 100 lb line does sound heavy but it is the same diameter as 20 lb mono. We use the heavier line so we can fight the fish and get it into the net quickly to reduce the lactic acid build up. This is especially important when water temperatures are high in the summer. Too much lactic acid can kill the fish and we are trying very hard to avoid that. Stick with the 80 to 100 lb spectre fibre line. You won't regret it.

Bill[/quote]