Local fishing seminars

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Would you prticipate in a free fishing seminar put on by local tournament anglers?

YES
66%
NO
9%
maybe, depends where it is held.
25%

Total votes: 56

Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Many of us have heard the old adage that "90% of the fish are in 10% of the water".

Picking up on Sheldon's idea, I personally would be interested in learning more about how a proficient walleye angler can eliminate the dead water on a new lake in order to key in on the most likely walleye holding locations. An opportunity to learn better how to accomplish that would be great!
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

tell me when...i'll be there for sure :)
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

Seminars! Seminars! Seminars!

The main thing about seminars is that you get to meet some real nice people....some famous people! The content of seminars may be interesting but it's all about getting together all pumped up for the upcomming season.....seminars in Summer??? I'm gone fishing!!

I would say that what we are doing right now is a full year seminar....this site and all other fishing sites... everything at your disposal on your computer is THE gate to the biggest seminar you may be taking part....in most cases like in Facebook you can talk to Karl, Dave and alot of pros in the confort of your home. You have all the companies you want on line willing to sell or to respond to all your questions.....you want to learn about a product on the net..chances are you will get all the infos you want about them.

You want to know about techniques..flipping pitching wich rods with wich reels.....add WFN to what I just said. I think you will even be able to play backward if not sure about it. So there you have it all.

So....a seminar......it's like a family reunion to me!
Last edited by Big Bass 444 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

problem with getting info on the net is getting factual, unbiased information.

see a recent thread on OFN.

a fellow asked about dipsy rod holders, and if scotty plastic ones would suffice.

over a dozen replies saying, oh ya, they are good....only two fellows mentioned that down easters are the way to go...which is the correct answer.

again, the problem with the net is WHO is doing the answering...and in many cases, that person has less experience than the person asking the question....
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

Like I said Steve.....you want to talk to a pro on the net....you won't have any problems at all to get an answer to a question...and in many cases it doesn't take that much time for a reply.
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

What we must understand about pros is that they represent. They are salesman before anything else. They know the rules of marketing and companies uses them for just that.

Take Dave M. for example. The word is out! " I want to pack my boat with as much gear as possible when I go fishing"! That's nice and it works....great line to sell...really!....He as the power to convince many to stack a boat up to the ying yangs with everthing an angler could possibly get on the market....chances are it will be sponsor related!
If Dave is saying you need 12 rods in your boat to be successful...some will believe that.....a 7 footer for spinerbaits medium heavy...a 6 1/2 for precision..and so on!

We are getting to a point where we are loosing confidence in our own experience and belief about fishing.We go about what others are saying without even knowing if it suits are needs. We look at another anglers boat and gears thinking he won a tourney because he had such and such things

I say be carefull about what the big names have to say. Apply what they say to your own experience. If you get out on the water using 3 lines instead of 6+ that dosen't mean you will not succeed on the water.
The pros don't buy equipment for the most part. They make us buy it though!

Be wise! Be you! Be your own Pro!

Last edited by Big Bass 444 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

i'd like to attend this seminar.
Life goes on
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Hey BB444. I agree with you.

This is not going to be all about selling product just people sharing knowledge with each other. I can't stop or will not stop any one that mentions products during a seminar but it will not turn into a commercial.

Things are in the works

I will post as I have info.

Thanks everyone and keep those ideas coming.

Cheers
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Big Bass 444 wrote: The pros don't buy equipment for the most part. They make us buy it though!
Sorry I have to step in to protect pro anglers and also set the record straight for anyone looking to becoming a pro-angler. Most every pro except for a select handful purchase their gear and boats.

Now lets get back to the seminar topics...

-sheldon
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

"I say be carefull about what the big names have to say. Apply what they say to your own experience. "

now that is something that should be covered in the seminar.

applying what we learn to our "own" experience is what makes learning so important.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I think this is a fabulous idea, and very generous indeed on the part of JP who is proposing it.

So why would we dump on a guy that is taking time and effort to set something up for ordinary folks who might enjoy a seminar? If a person thinks that a seminar would be a waste of their time, for whatever reason, they don't HAVE to attend!

So if somebody figures this is just going to be an infomercial (although JP has already said nope, several times, and I see no reason to disbelieve him) then the person need not attend to see if it was an infomercial. :roll:

If I already know everything about everything, there is no need for me to go to learn something new. :lol:

And so on. Hey, folks, we have a volunteer here proposing something that he is willing to spend the time and effort to set up. Let's CELEBRATE it! :D

Doug

PS) BTW I used to pick the brains of a few "pros" very specifically about the products they used, and I could not frankly have cared whether they got the stuff for free, were paid to shill it, or anything else. If I decide that I should try new product "X" and Dave the pro uses it (for fun or profit, I don't care), I am REALLY interested in what Dave can tell me about product "X." :wink:
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

k.

So, should seminars be free? If product promotions are made in seminars than should company products pay for rental of space where seminars are held? Should prices draws be expected in most cases if brand names
informations are cover in seminars?

Why would someone participate in such event and pay let's say 85$. Where is the money going?

If seminars gives back to non-pro anglers who spends so much money each year than I think it's a good thing! There is pro anglers because of the non-pros....just a fact!
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Doug thank you for the Kind words.

BB444 the Seminars that I am working on will be free of charge. I may ask if people want to donate $5 to a local charity that I am affiliated with but it will be your choice to do so.

I have already secured one well know angler for the event.

Please keep your ideas on topics coming in.

Thanks

JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!