Crap!!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Crap!!!!

Post by saskie »

After much humming and hahhing over where to head today, I decide to head for some slabs. This might be my last outing for a few weeks and I wanted action. At 230, just as I'm turning onto the side rd to the lake I realize I left the minnow pail sitting on the steps at home....

"Fiddlesticks" says I :evil:

So back I go, get my minnows and head back and run smack into a funeral procession leaving the church just in time to see one of the cars spin out and slide into the ditch.... "Jiminey Fiddlesticks " :roll: " - it's a funeral, I'm in my grubby fishing clothes, they're all dressed up...and it's a funeral. So I push/shovel them out and FINALLY make it on the ice by 4pm. :evil: Getting out was a little hairy - but I made it.

I decided to give my new FL-8 one last chance...dropped it down and HALLELUJAH!!!! It worked....for about 5min and then died again. And since the receipt is no longer in the box....it looks like I have a $400 shiney new paperweight. And it was right about then that I decided to trip over my ice tackle box and send most of its contents into the slush.
("Cracker Jack, Jumping Cheez-Whiz Fiddlesticks" says I)
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: )

But I did get fish - and it's amazing how 8-9 slabs and a 1 dink LM (came unpinned at the hole) can turn a mini-gong into a nice time.

I set one line high about half way up and another a couple feet off bottom and alternated jigging/dead-sticking. I might as well have left the minnows sitting on the steps as all fish came on Genz glow-bugs and maggots, and jigging seemed to work better as I only got two on the dead line.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Sounds like it all worked out for you.Now you just need to work on that potty mouth of yours :shock:
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

That was a great report Saskie.... Althought your day was not going well it is nice to see it turned into a good humourous report as it seems to sometimes get too intense on the site. :wink:

Thanks, it started my Sunday off with a smile :D

Suddsy
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

well your heart was in the right place helping those people. You'll have too work on the rod placement albeit you did catch some fish. nice report :lol:
Life goes on
Fish'n Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fish'n Buddy »

Those days drive me nuts! but the fishing gods usually repay you for your hard work I find after one of those outings.
Good job , nice report
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

After all that trouble it was nice to see you were rewarded with some fish.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

You made a bad day into a better one by catching a couple of slabs. What's wrong with the Vex?? Thy are usually tough. A couple years ago my FL-8 fell of the quad while I was driving and my buddy picked up he was following me. He said it bounced off the ice. And it kept on ticking. Have you opened it up??
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Wallyboss wrote:What's wrong with the Vex?? ... Have you opened it up??
Turns on but doesn't mark ANYTHING - not even bottom. I'm now thinking dud transducer since with a warm fresh-off the charger battery it will pump out enough juice to work (and worked fine for the the first day and a half I had it) for a few minutes and then nothing.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hiya Saskie,

Nice of you to help those poor folks in what was already a bad day for them.

Gotta laugh at your re-telling of the day. :lol: It's just another average day in real life land.

I'm glad you were rewarded with some fish, anyway. And I appreciate your little bits of info regarding the jigging vs. deadsticking, as I was just pondering how best to present some baits today...I was completely unsuccessful, though!

W.
|D4|
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by |D4| »

Good effort ! At least your being positive about all this ! Hope it's better next time you go out
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Somebody had a transducer for sale Look in classiefieds.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=32722
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
skubasteve
Participant
Participant

Post by skubasteve »

Those days seem to have a way of redeeming themselves
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I had the same issue on my new flasher.
What I find is the transducer wire can come a bit loose. I gently wiggle it back in.

See if that helps!

J
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

nice slabs, where did you pull them out of?
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:lol: Boy that was a trip. I found this winter 90% of my crappies coming with some sort of moving whether it be gentle lifting ,dropping or jigging..only the pike seem interested in the dead stick.