What do I see on my Lowrance?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

What do I see on my Lowrance?

Post by eye-tracker »

I think The NextBite has a great new section on their site for anyone that has a Lowrance unit - 'Everything Lowrance'

They presently have screen images up and have some of the top walleye professionals talking about what is on the screen, like Doc Samson, Keith Kavajecz and Gary Parsons. Also lots of information and discussion about settings and ping speed vs. land speed etc.

Everything Lowrance

-sheldon
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Thanks Sheldon!
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

thanks Sheldon...thats saved as a fav now...great info presented there :)
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

To bad it's on TNB site.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

doesn't matter to me where its posted, thats great info whether you own a lowrance or not

:)
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Sheldon, great link, thanks.
But now I'm confused over Lowrancenet vs Ethernet.

I want to run two fish finders at the same time, classic setup, one bowmount with a trolling motor mounted transducer and one consol mount with a transom mounted transducer.

I will be installing a Lowrancenet backbone to conect the GPS puck to the consol mount, and possibly add future enhancements such as fuel guage, temp sensors etc.

I would like to display transducer data on both units at the same time, selectable, either trolling or transom, but not both transducers at the same time (because of interference).

I think I read a comment from Keith that digital data, depth and waypoints goes over the lowrancenet, but full screen data ie transducer output goes over ethernet.

I would also need to download a 2007 software update to allow transducer switching.

I believe that I now need to install both ethernet and lowrancenet cabling, it also appears that I would need an ethernet hub, or is it possible to link only two units using a crossover cable similar to a computer network.

Any help would be appreciated.
This may require a diagram and explaination over a beer sometime.
99 Princecraft 176
98 115 Johnson Ficht
VHF Call terry f 316014005
NPAA 537
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Thanks Sheldon
saved as a fav!

May actually use my Lowrance for more than a depth finder /temp guage !

TB
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Terry_F wrote:Sheldon, great link, thanks.
But now I'm confused over Lowrancenet vs Ethernet.

I would like to display transducer data on both units at the same time, selectable, either trolling or transom, but not both transducers at the same time (because of interference).Any help would be appreciated.
This may require a diagram and explanation over a beer sometime.
Hello Terry,
To make this quick for you...the Lowrance 110 unit you have does not have Ethernet so you can not share a sonar image.

Let me explain how I use my setup to show an example of how I rig my boat with Lowrancenet as I do not use the Ethernet nor will I with the new units in a 21 foot fishing boat. I use 2 10" screens at the console connected to a single transducer on the stern - one as a GPS with no transducer connected and the other as a SONAR with transducer. I then have another 10" screen at the bow or a 7" backup unit connected to a transducer on the bow mount. All these units are connected via a Lowrancenet that has a GPS and Kicker Fuel level sensor.
On all the units screens I can get GPS information - Speed, Location etc. I can also get the Depth reading of the front transducer or the stern transducer, so when I am trolling from the back of the boat I can see my depth directly below the transom and on the same sonar screen I can see my depth number from my bow mount transducer, therefore I can follow the contour as I notice the depth changing. In less than 30 ft of water when working structure you get very little interference.
When I am up from on the bow-mount it is the reverse where I can see the sonar image directly below my bow trolling motor and also see the depth of my stern transducer so I can see where my back of the boat anglers rods are fishing or how my boat is moving across the structure.

The only time I can see the Ethernet being used in a small fishing boat to display a sonar image on a second unit is if you wanted to add a unit back by your kicker so you could face back-wards and watch your lines while trolling. This would help as would not need to install a second transducer and would only need to run an Ethernet cable from your console unit to the unit by the kicker . For me in my 21 foot boat I have no problem glancing at a 10" Lowrance unit mounted at my console and can even see the 10" screen mounted at the bow, also it allows me to keep my eyes forward while watch for other boats when trolling.

In my opinion the sonar image sharing is really designed for large boats that have 2 or 3 driving loactions like fly bridges so only one transducer is needed for all the sonar units on board.

-sheldon
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Interpretation

Post by Graembo »

Nice writeup...But I'm having issues interpreting this image from last summer:

Any ideas?!
G
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interpretation

Post by fatluke »

Graembo wrote:Nice writeup...But I'm having issues interpreting this image from last summer:

Any ideas?!
G
Musky Fishing???
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice Pussy.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Never tought of using my lowrance for catfishing.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Graembo,
You have to turn off the Cat ID on your sonar, you will get a better idea of what is going on in the water column. ;)

-s
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

:lol:
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Oh to be out in a boat.....right now :cry:

Thanks for the info :D
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."