Live bait vrs Gulp Alive?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Live bait vrs Gulp Alive?

Post by Troller »

Hi,
I am wondering how you guys are doing using Berkley Gulp Alive vrs real minnows when ice fishing? I am not looking for locations or techniques, I am just curious. I am hoping to head out on the Ottawa this weekend for the first time this year and I intend to use both. To me this Gulp Alive is an interesting concept in fishing
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I keep a tub of Gulp alive for those mornings when I decide to icefish spur of the moment. But for all planned outings, I use minnows. Minnows work WAY better for me than the Gulp.

I do not use either in softwater, I prefer hard lures and regular plastics...
valley_boy
Participant
Participant

Post by valley_boy »

I can't agree with Out4Trout more. Thats what I use them for to, but if I can pick up some minnoes I always do. I was out for crappie today and the only thing they were bitting was small lively minnows. I tried the gulp fish fry but the just didn't want it. You just cant replicate the movement of a minnow that is so inticing to fish. On the other hand, when the bite is on, the gulp baits produce!!!!!!!
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

Do they out fish live? Not in my experience. When the fish are aggressive they seam about as good with less time spent replacing bait. If the bite is slow you have to impart some action to them. Not as good as live but will catch fish. Yesterday I caught a few perch with Gulp maggots on a small red a white teardrop jig. Bites came when I was twitching the bait.

Rick
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Gulp Alive.....the greatest marketing scheme to ever hit the fishing industry!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I've seen the Gulp nightcrawler outfishing live nightcralwers fishing for catfish.

And Gulp nightcrawler outfishing live minnows on spinner rigs for eyes.

But if I had the choice of Live bait or Gulp. I would take live bait anytime.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Marketing Scheme?

Post by D-mo »

Well .. im going to have to disagree.
I've fished every weekend so far this year, for either rainbows, large crappy pike and walleye. My take on Gulp alive? Used with the right jig, they add that "just right amount of flavor" to make those lazy fish hit. I have out fished my buddies numberous times using this bait compared to minnows. However I have not been going after walleye and pike with gulp alive ... I use live bait for these dudes ..

d-mo
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

I've fished the Gulp "Alive" product extensively over the past season for walleye. Travelling into the boonies as I do caring for live bait is an issue especially on a weeks excursion.

The Alive 5" leech has become my goto for harness rigging and the 3" minnows suit my jigging methods to a T.

From a cost standpoint the Alive products are certainly less expensive and my catch ratio exceeds or is on par with live bait.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

McQ,

Where you walleye fish you could catch them on a popcan!... :lol:

RJ
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

RJ - that's only a rumor LOL
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

live bait defineatly works better for me .But as per previous posts some trips , live bait can be tough to manage.

I do have a pail of Gulp in the garage but hardly use it .

Is there a life span ? the pail is almost two years old.

Tinbanger
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

tinbanger wrote:live bait defineatly works better for me .But as per previous posts some trips , live bait can be tough to manage.

I do have a pail of Gulp in the garage but hardly use it .

Is there a life span ? the pail is almost two years old.

Tinbanger
yes...you should definitely mail your existing bucket that is too old to me for proper environmental disposal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok...so, i tried :)

I don't think it goes 'bad'....I've got some that is older...and i have a newer bucket from last year...they both still smell like crap. can't see how it would go bad (OMG DO NOT SPILL THIS ONTO YOUR BOAT CARPET!!!! phewwwwwww)
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Didn't think spoiling was an issue . wish they worked better for me , less hassle than minnows.
TB
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

The way to acquire confidence in a bait is to fish it exclusively. As your technique develops the fish catching rate goes up. All I can emphasize is twenty plus years of fishing various plastics this Alive stuff is the real deal.

As far as longevity - from what I understand the baits just get better the longer they are in the juice.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

RJ wrote:Gulp Alive.....the greatest marketing scheme to ever hit the fishing industry!
Are you saying they aren't worth it? They don't work? You don't like em?

Come on now, fess up. :lol:

I've never bought a tub, and knowing you I'd bet you haven't either :wink:

I know the white maggots work good on the pannies........