ADVICE ON BOQ FSHN NEEDED

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mzfish
Participant
Participant

ADVICE ON BOQ FSHN NEEDED

Post by mzfish »

HEY, GUYS
Never been in BOQ for walleye fishing, going mostly to Parry Sound and Muscokas lately.
So, wondering if I can get a basic info re boat launches, area to go, bait. Need to entertain my 2 guests coming tomorrow from NY via Montreal to try walleye fishing.
Not interesting in harvesting, just want to have good time with my fellas.
Have a 19 ft alum boat with downriggers, trolling, GPS/finders, don't have plannerboards. Well set up for salmon, pike/musky but not for walleye.
Would appreciate any local advise on best timing, gear, bait, place to start from, GPS data for favored fishing holes (jokin' :wink: :D !) . Was considering Desseronto - Picton - Bath stretch. Prefer to pay for hard nice launch near bait shop.
Thanks in advance to all responded, can only promise to post pictures in return (if any... ). PMs will be appreciated too.

Last edited by mzfish on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Quinte Fishing

Post by Superdad »

I don't think you'll need much live bait for the walleyes right now, pretty well everything is taken on lures.

The Desronto launch ramp is good, but a long way from the main fishing grounds (east of the Glenora ferry) Launchin in Desronto gives you access to Telegraph Narrows and Long Reach as fishable areas.

If you were to launch at the Adolphustown launch(eight beside the ferry dock) that would access the area east of the ferry (Light House-BatCave-Keiths Shoal) and westward you have the Cement Plant area to fish in.

People are using their downriggers effectively this year and people are still taking fish off in-line planer boards too. Sounds as though you're ready to fish with your down riggers.

The fishing is tough... lots of fish, but lots of baitfish so the walleye buffet is set up and they're eating baitfish, not plastic crankbaits.....

Hope that's a help

Cheers

David aka Superdad
mzfish
Participant
Participant

Post by mzfish »

LunkerL and SuperD, thanks for quick respond with first pieces of puzzle. Looks like Adolphustown is the point to start.
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

As always Superdad is on the money. Here is a google link to the launch at Glenora.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&saddr=Ot ... 2&t=h&z=15

There is several areas just east of the ferry that most people fish and there will be lots of boats on the water, so fish the packs. If you have a good sonar and aren't marking fish, they aren't there and fish somewhere else. There are large schools of fish right now so you will see them easily on your sonar.

I don't go much deeper then 40' even with the riggers. The fish below 40 or 50' aren't usually active so you are fishing dead water, and when you do hook one they are hard to realease with the big pressure change. I usually try one rod in the top 15 fow and then go down about 5-10' per rod until you find a depth that is working. It has been hard to get a pattern with 1-3 fish days lately. My last 3 fish all came down about 30'. 2 off lead core rods (6 colours and 5 colours out - with yo-zuri deep crystal minnow in firetiger), one off a TD11 (purplescence) 220' back of the outside board. Flat lining will work though if you don't have planar boards.

Just remember east of the ferry is considered Lake O regs. This means you can run 2 rods per person if you are east of the ferry. If you come back west of the ferry only 1 rod per person.

I will be fishing east of the ferry in the morning and then trying around the cement plant and off Thompsons point later when the wind swings to the East as they are calling for. If we get the 20K east winds they are calling for in the afternoon it will be rough east of the ferry but Thompsons point will be alittle more sheltered. Thompsons and Shermans point are at the mouth of Hay bay. You will see boats in these areas as well.

I will be monitoring ch71 with handle "willows" - Good luck

Scott
mzfish
Participant
Participant

Post by mzfish »

Wow, WLW!!!
That's more than expected.
I'd be wasting a lot of time playng with llures and ines. Thanks Scott, appreciated.
I was about to ask about 2 lines regs in the area and wind conditions, but you nailed it man.
Since my friends got stuck with work and we're planning to go on Sunday when 40km wind was predicted, is the water gets very chopy in the areas you've mentioned or we still can try our luck?
Thanks again, Scott.
P.S. dont have VHF to give you word on the water.
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

mzfish,

No problem. Nobody knows everything and the only way to learn is from others. I have been given lots of tips and help along the way.

40K or 45K winds are pretty strong, they are supposed to be out of the west so the cement plant should be pretty sheltered and should be a smooth ride from the launch in Picton. It has also been an area that has been producing fish. The run out to the reach would be rough but you could fish the north shore as it angles alittle Northeast and would have shelter. I don't think I would try to run out to the reach though in 40K winds. Probably, just fish the cement plant and the west shoreline across from Thompson's and Sherman's point.

That being said 40K winds are no joke, and the reach is big water so it will be rough. You know how confident you are in your boat, but no fish is worth a life. The cold water is very unforgiving.

Superdad, you have been fishing the bay a lot longer then I have. What do you think? Any other opinions?