Lowrance sonar difficulties in shallow water?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lowrance sonar difficulties in shallow water?

Post by Tomcat »

I've been following the recent threads on walleyecentral.com about the difficulties some Lowrance sonar owners (500 series, LCX27/28/37/38 and even some LCX 112s) are experiencing regarding no depth readings or digital depth flashing in shallow water or in shallow water with a lot of weeds. I've been contemplating upgrading from my 8 year old Lowrance X-85 to the newer technology. Any Fish-Hawkers experiencing such difficulties with their newer Lowrance units? Thanks in advance.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I've seen it Tomcat.....my partner put a brand new 522C on the bow of his Ranger....and unless we are in 6 FOW of water or more.....it loses bottom..... :?

I don't read WC but would be very interested to hear what you you've read...he was thinking of sending it back to Lowrance....
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Yep, I have a 510c, that does just that. Starts to flash when in shallow weeds, doesn't do it over rocks.

Not a huge deal but for the price of the things it shouldn't be happening
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

It's not only the Lowrance guys...I have a Humminbird 565 and it does the same thing....it will flash "0" feet until I get past the weeds by the dock in ~ 5 FOW....
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

I have an 08 lcx 27 at the bow and an 08 lcx 112 at the wheel and they both do the same thing :?
pikeonthe fly
Participant
Participant

Lowrance sonar

Post by pikeonthe fly »

You might want to check this out...

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Mar ... -122-BETA/
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lowrance

Post by Abraxus »

I have the same problem as well. I have 525 and it is a one year old unit and it flashes the same way when in shallow water or over heavy weeds.

In deeper water it operates flawlessly.

Ab
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

RJ:

Probably the most informative response is to recommend you read the thread (particularly posts by GBS and yarcraft91) http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/sh ... 739&page=2

Some guys have been sending their units back to Lowrance requesting analysis or replacement. On 27 Oct 08, Lowrance posted a new 2.4.2 "beta" version of the software on their web site for the 520-series sonars to address the shallow, weedy water operating problems. GBS has tested the beta version and concluded that while it did not eradicate the problem, his sonar (520) performed much better

There appears to be concensus that the preferred Lowrance rep to deal with is Linda Colt (linda.colt@navico.com).
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Lowrance has had a fix for a while on the shallow water issue and I have been using the shallow water setting all this season and part of last season. I even posted a tip on my blog during the summer after fishing in dryden for a week in 1 to 2 feet of water.

http://sheldonhatch.com/blog/?p=91

-sheldon
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

My Humminbird 535 has zero issues in shallow water TMH...wonder why yours is....too much of that Constance Bay sand in it... :lol:

Great to know Lowrance has fixed this issue through an update...I was thinking of upgrading to a 522C....I just have to tough time justifying it myself.... :?

RJ
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

RJ wrote:My Humminbird 535 has zero issues in shallow water TMH...wonder why yours is....too much of that Constance Bay sand in it... :lol:

Great to know Lowrance has fixed this issue through an update...I was thinking of upgrading to a 522C....I just have to tough time justifying it myself.... :?

RJ
Guess you're in the wrong type of weeds RJ 8) :wink:
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:It's not only the Lowrance guys...I have a Humminbird 565 and it does the same thing....it will flash "0" feet until I get past the weeds by the dock in ~ 5 FOW....
I got the 575 and no problems like that ...
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

lifeisfun wrote:
TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:It's not only the Lowrance guys...I have a Humminbird 565 and it does the same thing....it will flash "0" feet until I get past the weeds by the dock in ~ 5 FOW....
I got the 575 and no problems like that ...
I guess you are in the wrong type of weeds too Lifeisfun...

Whatever that means... :lol:
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

hehe