Fish & Pain

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bonesey
Participant
Participant

Post by Bonesey »

well when i had my lip piercied(5 years ago) it didn't hurt :lol:
DonD2
Participant
Participant

Post by DonD2 »

DonD2
Participant
Participant

Post by DonD2 »

Last edited by DonD2 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

If fish did feel pain in their mouth, it must be a long and painful life. Using your mouth to turn over rocks, etc, eating mussels, crayfish, spiny fish, mice and in the case of pike and musky, the occasional duck and muskrat, I'm sure these don't go down willingly and, if a fishes mouth is sensitive to pain, must be a way to go through every meal.

I've often wondered about how animals react to pain. I know they must feel pain, but do they have a "mental switch" that can shut if off somewhat or manage it. (maybe it's just shock!) By this I mean, we've all seen those nature shows where a lion takes down a antelope or something and is eating the hind quarters before the animal is even dead. Yet it is not screaming or thrashing uncontrollably as if it is in agony. It seems to resign itself to the fact that this is it.
Last edited by Lunker Larry on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poozymo
Participant
Participant

Post by Poozymo »

why do we fish at all then.....
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

OHHHH BOY!!! FISH... They feel TONNES of pain.

Me. I don't feel any.

This is why I have no troubles with catching fish.

Honestly... the whole thing hasn't and may never be proven one way or the other. Either fish on sufferring during your passion, quit now before another fish screams bloody murder on it's way back to the weedbed hospital, or chillacks and try to forget about it. :lol:
Thrasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Thrasher »

There have been many studies on this. Studies have shown that fish lack the neo-cortex, which is the part of the brain that senses pain. Why do they fight, pull head shake etc, as stated it is a response to physical stimuli. Google it up!
Thrasher
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Thrasher wrote:There have been many studies on this. Studies have shown that fish lack the neo-cortex, which is the part of the brain that senses pain. Why do they fight, pull head shake etc, as stated it is a response to physical stimuli. Google it up!
Thrasher
Youre right!, I just took a course on this last week. That part of the brain is required for interpretation of senses. Therefore if they dont have it... they cant say OUCH! :shock:
uberfish
Participant
Participant

Post by uberfish »

Does a fish feels "pain" or just "discomfort"? James Rose study concluded fish don't have the neural structures to feel pain (as defined by physical and mental properties). The Roslin study found neurons that look like pain receptors and when injected with vinegar and bee venom in the lips the fish reacted negatively. Just the facts. But what does this have to do with fishing? In the Roslin study, the control fish were caught, injected with saline solution in their lips and released. These fish resumed normal feeding behaviour immediately. Sounds like catch and release to me. and it didn't bother the fish. So I'm not bothered to catch, gently handle and release (or quickly kill, keep and eat) my fish.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

.deleted
Last edited by muskymatt on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustin
Participant
Participant

Simple answer:

Post by Dustin »

Have you ever caught the same sunfish/rock bass over and over again?

I have. They do not feel pain in their mouths. If they did, they probably wouldn't feed again and again after being hooked in the mouth multiple times.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

uberfish wrote: So I'm not bothered to catch, gently handle and release (or quickly kill, keep and eat) my fish.
There it is there, in a nutshell. Just good, responsible conservation & ethics. :D

W.