Gouin Trip Aug 08 (Walleye School)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Here's a few pictures from the Aug 2005 trip to Nemio's on the Gouin Reservoir (Baie du Nord).

Here's McQ running on the Nemio River with one of Nemio's Princecraft boats

Here's the entrance into Baie du Nord from the Nemio River

Lots of sand in the Gouin

Our cabin for the Aug 2005 trip (construction nearing completion)

Here's a Google Earth image (from 10 miles up) of the Baie du Nord area on the Gouin
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

There seems to be a reasonable amount of interest - # of views.

If you would like to be part of this group now is the time to join in.

I'd like to have some idea of the numbers before the Carp Show so that a final cost can be arrived at.

Let me know.

Bill
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

I will be in the Nemio booth at the Carp Show on Saturday.

See you there!!!!!!
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Reserved a cabin for 6 - room for three more participants.

We can go up to 12 in total but I would have to commit before June 15th.

Have lined up some great prizes and samples too.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gouin '08

Post by Joey Rat »

Hey Bill, it was nice to meet you at the show. We now have our Gouin trip booked for June. :D I'm still working on my fishing buddy to extend an extra day or two but we'll have to see what happens. My wife said I should go for a week. :shock: Maybe she's trying to get rid of me but hey I'm not going to say no.

Anyhow, I may hit you up for some tips closer to the date. Pickeral for dinner pike for fun. Can't wait.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Always happy to help with dinner suggestios - -YUM

So far we have three attendees

Tomcat
Plowjock
McQ

These three old farts need the help of a couple of younger guys, you know - lift that load - tote that bale.

Nemio is a great spot with an abundance of fish - not only that you may just pick up a few tips.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

The group is now at 4 - room for 2 more in this cabin and we can accomodate up to 6 in the adjacent cabin.

Some of the prizes and give aways include Berkley products, Rapala, Offshore Boards, etc.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Got up for the opener but it was a semi working trip - had to configure a new satellite system and get the VOIP phone working. Thanks to the help received from Scotty (member of Paul Smith's group) the deal went flawlessly.

Managed to get on the water Saturday afternoon for two hours and worked through about 15 walleye to get a limit for my guest who was accompaning his dad on a bear hunt - this newbie almost hammered the guide but things balanced out later. Chris had 4 fish in the boat before I even got bit - Great Show Chris! Hope the family enjoys the fish fry.

Chris and I got out again on Sunday for 1 1/2 hours and worked a limit for me to take home. The river was just chock full of males and there were a few bigger females scattered in. The Pike were represented well also.

The weather held with just a bit of rain on Sunday and from the general mood of the camp everybody had a blast - look forward to seeing the same bunch next year - I had a great time.

Now for the summer peak in August!!!!
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

I'm heading up in the morning for a little R & R and will be finalizing the arrangements for the August school. Will be back on Tuesday and will post the results & happenings with an update on what baits are getting the job done.

If you've been thinking about joining us in August you still have time to sign on.

See y'all next week.

Bill
boubou
Participant
Participant

walleye school

Post by boubou »

very interested in going
mike beauregard
613 583 9340
meals included????? :D
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Part of what info sharing is planned.

Map interpretation - eliminating non productive water

Walleye habits

Lure selection - cranks, jigs, etc

Techniques - live bait, plastics - rigging or jigging

Interpreting sonar signals

Boarding with cranks and harnesses

Boat control

On the water and mini seminar structure
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Report of Gouin Walleye School

Post by plowjock »

Let's just start off saying " Snooze you Lose"
Attended the walleye School put on by McQ (Bill).
All I can say is you people who have never attended this school, make sure you do so sooner than later.
This was one very interesting week.
First morning out weather cool and DRY, little CHOP on the water which eventually got up to 2 footers. Within the first hour hooked into a monster eye and played it for about a minute before having that disheartening event happen where suddenly there is NO Weight on the line.
Now people that know me know that I can handle good sized fish, but this guy could not get the Gouin Monster to come up to the Surface. My Calais reel could only have drag taken once I started the upward climb. Bill was watching and waiting but as most always happens " GoodBye fish of a Lifetime"
Ronnie , the owner of Nemio Lodge could only say "This Happens." The previous week he landed a 53" pike.
This Body of Water is just SOOOOO ENORMOUS.
I'll bet you in all the time on the water We only covered probably about one one millionith of the territory.
The equipment (Boats and Motors) from the lodge were extremely fine for this area. One thing needed up in this area is a Good Map and a GPS and Sonar along with Fantastic EyeSight, first for looking for ROCKS (of which there are thousands of Mine Fields) and enjoying the scenery.
Every day out was a NEW ADVENTURE and Lesson.
The Final total of Fish caught was well up there but what was kept was very minimal.
Our Final day out we ventured into a totally new area and Man did the Fish co-operate. I'm not a picyure poster so I'll send what photos I took to McQ for him to put in where necessary.
Just remember everybody you'll be a long time taking a Dirt nap so get out there and enjoy the TRIP of A LIFETIME.
The Fishing just can't be any better anywhere else.
Just ask me if I'm going back...... you want to believe it.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Brian:

Glad to hear that you and Bill had such a great trip. Sorry that I was unable to make it. Too bad about that "fish of a lifetime" - you'll get another chance next year. Bill mentioned that the road wasn't in the best shape due to the heavy rains. I'll keep a lookout for some pictures.