Bearing Buddies

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Bearing Buddies

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Hi All,

At some point this season I need to re-pack my bearings but I have bearing buddies installed. Never done this before but I want to give it a try. Is there a trick to getting the bearing buddies off? I assume they just screw off but how do you get a hold of them with any leverage. They left handed thread?

Thanks,

Mike
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Why?

Post by Cancatchbass »

Just curious as to why you feel the need to re-pack your bearings?

How long have the bearings/bearing buddies been in service?

CCB
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

The bearing buddies have been in service ever since I had the boat (1999). The boat/trailer package is from 1991.

Basically, I regularly add grease to the bearing buddy and have never re-pack them since I owned the boat. I am just thnking I should completely clean out the old grease and re-pack them as it has been 5 years at least.

Cheers,

Mike
devy
Participant
Participant

Bearing buddies

Post by devy »

I have had my trailer/boat package as well from 1991. My trailer is "armed" with bearing buddies, but I noticed last fall that after trailering, one of my bearing buddies felt hot to the touch. Decided this spring to take it Crappy Tire and for approximately $60.00 repacked and replaced bearings(plus solved my grounding problem after spending umpteen hours trying to resolve it----now I know!!) when serviced bearings were shot....man what a difference pushing my boat/trailer/ motor by hand!!!
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D I have bearing buddies on this trailer and I had them on the last one on my previous boat. I have never removed them. I take it to the local Rv dealer who pulls them apart and does the repacking when I feel the need. The first trailer I went 12 yrs before getting them repacked.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I have something similar to bearing buddies on my new trailer. But what is different is the actual axle has a grease fitting (zerk) and the bearing buddy is actually just a dust cover with a removable rubber tab so I can access the zerk.

Sad thing is, one fell off last week and I can't find a comparable replacement.
So if anyone knows what I am talking about and has a lead, please let me know.

Now, in terms of repacking bearings, keep in mind my trailer is a 2000. I pulled mine for fun since I did not know the history of this trailer. turns out, ther was lots of water in there. Don't know for sure if a seal is gone (probably since that cap fell off it was the culprit). I checked the bearings and they seemed to be in good shape. But, consider that over years and miles of trailer, those bearings will settle. What that means is once every year or 2 you can expect to have to tighten down that lock nut an 1/8th of a turn or so.

I may pull off those zerks and just switch to bearing buddies. Sounds like people have had good luck with them.

M.T. Livewell
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

MT- I saw replacement plastic bearing buddy caps at Laurentian marine the other day. My trailer is the same ... gease fitting and a cap over the end... so I took notice in case I ever lost one.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

This will be interesting, I have to do mine too. The color is not what it's supposed to be on one side, cloudy, so I think it's time. Might be a seal though. Besides, surely can't hurt.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

From the web site:
3. With Bearing Buddy® installed, how often do I need to repack my bearings?

We don't recommend inspecting your bearings more frequently than once every 5 years, provided you properly maintain the grease level in the hubs, and your bearings and seals are in new condition when you install genuine Bearing Buddy®. The Bearing Buddy® system maintains a constant pressure of 3 p.s.i. on the grease inside the hub. Since the hub is always full of grease (with proper maintenance) there is no need to repack your bearings. Some customers have reported that their Bearing Buddy® units were removed for the first time after 10 to 15 years of use, and the bearings still looked like new.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Amazing what you find on the web:
6. How do I remove Bearing Buddy®?

Lay a block of wood against the side of the Bearing Buddy® and strike the wood with a hammer. Place the wood on the opposite side and hit again. Continue this procedure until you "walk" the Bearing Buddy® out of the hub. Don't disassemble the Bearing Buddy® to attempt to remove it.
BEARING BUDDY® INSTALLATION

Hold the Bearing Buddy® against the hub with a small block of wood, and drive it into place with a hammer.

If Bearing Buddy® cannot be driven into the hub, or will not fit tightly into the hub, don't force it. Your hubs may be slightly oversized or undersized. If this occurs, or if the Bearing Buddy® is obviously too large or too small; contact your dealer.

If you install Model 1980T (threaded), apply Permatex or some other grease proof gasket cement to the Bearing Buddy® threads, and then screw Bearing Buddy® into the hub, hand tight.
Last edited by MichaelVandenberg on Fri May 07, 2004 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

How do I know what size of bearing buddies to use (or dust cap for that matter) to replace my missing piece. Is there a size indicated on the hub somewhere? I suppose I still have my other cap and could use it for reference. I just wonder if there is an easier way.

thanks
M.T. Livewell

p.s. "Probassing, sorry to get this thread off topic, but it has been a big help for me".
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I beleive there are 2 sizes 1.98" and 1.78" there's probably more but they seem to be what everywhere stocks.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Lads, I repack my bearings at the start of every year. With the amount of water and sand that gets in it is a good choice. After time the water that gets mixed into the grease breaks it down. the MAC-2 has been around since '71 and never any problems.

Dave
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

try this site

Post by mitch »

Even with bearing buddies, I repack mine yearly, it really doesn't take that long to do and it gives me a chance to check things out. A little preventive maintenance is worth a few extra casts.

http://users.westco.net/~tandjlm/berring.htm

Mitch
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

I changed my bearing buddies once because one was wrecked (the spring and everything fell appart). To remove, I got a block of wood against it and hit it a few shots in every direction until it fell off. It did't seem to damage them. I then installed the new ones by putting a piece of wood in front and wack them in. They do fit pretty tight.

Only hit a few times per side. You dont want to angle them too much in any direction. Just enough to wiggle them out.