Gouin Report (Nemio)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Smitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gouin Report (Nemio)

Post by Smitty »

Hey Guys and Girls

Well I just made it back yesterday from our annual May long weekend fishing trip - it is a group of 10 to 15 guys that make an annual trip to find some walleye and pike...well this year 12 guys made it out and we hit Nemio on the Gouin Reservoir - thanks to the recommendations from Bill (McQ) and John (JSDX).

When we left on Thurs evening the weather did not look promising - but it we only received some scattered showers on Sunday and that was it...nice blue skies all weekend.

We arrived around noon Friday morning after a great drive in - the road was in great shape - met with Ron and Rosie (which are 2 of the nicest lodge owners I have ever met) - they really go out of there way to make sure you have a great time and catch fish - also Bill was there - it was great to finally meet him also and have a couple of beers with him.

We quickly stored our stuff in our cabins and hurried down to the boats - Ron took us on a guided tour of the area - pointing out hot spots to try along the way as well as the rocks - we then arrived at our destination a small section of water near the spawning area - what a great spot - we fished this area most of the weekend and it produced some very nice fish - our largest walleye was just over 5 pounds and our biggest pike was around 17 pounds - it is an amazing fishery - I have never had fishing that great....our group immediately booked for next year.

Nemio is a first class operation - one of the best ran camps I have ever seen - a few guys in our group did the American plan - and they raved about the huge portions for both breakfast and dinner.

If anyone is thinking about going up to Nemio for Bills class in Aug - I would highly recommend it - I have heard the fishing just gets better as the year goes on.

When I get some pics from my buddies camera - I will post them.

Looking forward to May 09

Smitty
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

WoW,, Sounds like some of us missed out on a great trip

Nice !!!!!!! report 8) 8)
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Leechman »

Good to hear that the Gouin is still producing good quality fishing.... Been there (not nemio but another outfitter a little further north) 7 years ago with a bunch of guys and we had a ball.... came back with each our eyes limit....

You guys did get good weather condition and that makes it all worth while... Man I just miss the scenery and the wilderness.... It's breath taking when you wake up in the morning and step outside the camp to capture what nature has to offer... :D

Good report and cant wait to see the pictures of your catches.

Fish Finder
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Thanks for the report.

Glad you had a good time. When I peeked the weather report, I saw some worrisome weather and cool temps so I'm happy for your blue sky weekend.

It's really nice of Ron to do the drive around to show the spots (and the rocks) - lot less stress knowing "left or right" on the big boulder.

While you were there, did you happen to find my GPS or radio which I stored in 15ft of water at the end of the dock ? No ? Nevermind, I guess I'll have to go back and get them myself :).

Look forward to the pictures.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gouin Report

Post by Joey Rat »

Awsome, we are booked in for mid June and can not wait. Still trying to get my buddy to commit to an extra day.

I see you left on Thursday which is our plan as well. Where did you guys spend the night? We were thinking the Comfort Inn in Mont Laurier but would like to get as far up the road as possible.

Any tips or tricks you would care to share?
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

Nice report.

canoedude and I also fished Gouin this weekend past in Baie du Nord. Fish were still close to their spawning grounds and we did well. 110 fish between the two of us.. the largest fish were 14lb, 13lbs and a 10lb pike. We kept 6 six fish and the rest were released.

Being back to civilization sucks!
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Hey Mossman

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you enjoyed the opener. I presume you flew in with Air Melançon. How were the accomodations and the boats and motors? Did you fish Baie du Nord exclusively or did you fish Lac Bureau as well? Thanks in advance.
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

That's right, Air Melancon. It was our fourth year with them. They're very good. Cabins are clean and have everything you need including running water, fridges, stoves, showers, lighting, etc. Boats are standard aluminum 12' or 14' w/ 9 HP Merc's.. only 2 years old. As with any outfitter it's the service that seals the deal and these guys have been good to us. We also like the fly in aspect instead of the drive through Parent.

Fished Baie du Nord primarily.. but one morning tried some spots on the northern end of Lac Bureau / Baie du Est. Pike want red-devils. Walleyes were less finicky and we picked them up on jigs, leeches, bottom bouncers, etc.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Thanks for the info Mossman. I fished Baie du Nord in Aug 05 with McQ (out of Nemio's) and will fish there again with McQ in Aug this year.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Paul, it was fun meeting up with you and your group - a fine bunch of lads EH!!!!!

I checked the river out for migrating fish over the weekend and they are slowly filtering up the river - Ronnie spotted a duker EYE under the wharf when he docked Sunday afternoon - estimated at about 8 lbs. - run 5 miles up the river and the hen was sunning herself on the beach - that's fishing.

Well off with Karma this Sunday for a few days on Lake Sasseginaga - the chores never stop LOL

Bill