Ottawa-Area Bassin' Report - Oct. 1

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ottawa-Area Bassin' Report - Oct. 1

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

With a few photo assignments looming, I decided to head out to an Ottawa-area lake with Dad in hopes of completing a few of them. Arrived at the ramp to discover the water was down a good two feet. No issues with the launch, yet the wind and chop that was present in the small river told me the lake was going to be rough. I was right. White caps and a pretty strong south-west wind. Some of my better spots looked to be unfishable today.

Cruised down the lake and began working small coves. Searching out rock and wood was on the agenda, and most of the water targeted was less than 8 feet deep.
Brown-coloured BPS flipping jigs, in both 5/16th and 3/4oz sizes were tossed, with YUM trailer chunks.

Worked two of my favourite coves on the western side of the lake - these spots are usually good for a fish or two. Lots of wood, sand and rock - a perfect magnet for fall largies.
Fifteen minutes in and my line starts swimming five feet to the side. A swift hookset, a short battle, and the fish is gone. Not sure how she became unpegged, but she was a decent fish for sure.
Not long after that, a nice fish over 3 is swung into the boat. Judging from the conditions and the mood of the fish, I figured we were in for a tough day.

Dropped my Dad off on shore for a bit to get some distance shots.

As luck would have it, I set the hooks into a good largie right after he set up, and he was lucky to catch the fight on film.

I only managed 7 bites for the day (7 hours), and landed five of those fish. For certain a tough day of fishing, but on the brightside, all were of a decent size. The five sported fat bellies, so they were definitely on the feed.

While working some shallow water, I came across this baby snapping turtle swimming just under the surface. Luckily, it was too young to bite!

The second last fish of the day turned out to be the big girl of the outing. She weighed in at 4lbs 4oz, and was caught off of rock/wood in six feet of water.

The two big fish of the day..

Sadly, my Dad only had one bite all day, and he missed it. But, nothing beats a day spent with Dad out on the boat...regardless of the fish that are caught..

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Justin - just wanted to say thanks for sharing. Your Dad caught some great action moments.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Great Report justin!
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

Real nice pic!
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

luv the little snapper, Oh yea great fish too :lol:
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

great report justin!

scuba_steve aka zort10
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Thanks, guys...was a fun day for sure! :lol:

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Great shots, JH, but then your Dad gets the credit for those. You get credit for the awesome tub-bellied bass.

Beauty of a shot of you with that big gal -- with the colorful foliage in the background. Could be in a magazine.

W.
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

nice fish Juston, nice to see you are still bassin!