carp..the fish.. Hey John :). May 10th update

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Two piece rod holder..brought two sets back from my last trip to Holland.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

SORRY .....But those got to be uglyest fresh water fish... they must be a blast to catch ...eat....forget it :x John I got to take you fishing for some Salmon....great fight and you can eat them if so desired, and they ain't butt ugly :lol:

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!><
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Well after the rainbow fishing today the boys stopped for lunch and wanted to go after some carp. We landed 4 between 4 and 8 lbs . Lost another and caught a small small mouth bass. Some pike were cruising the shallows looking spunky too. Image Image
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Salmon, those are just the greatest photo's! Love seeing the kids with fish, and those are some good sizes, too! Looks like it was a fun day...!
:D

W.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Well we are only just back from the Carp Fishing show. I put in a days work and came home and guess what the boys wanted to do..go carp fishing! So we headed down to the river for a bit and 5 mins. later Jonathan from Ireland caught about a 5 lb carp. He proceeded to lose a few as well. My Jonathan had a nice bulhead on and lost a bass. Image so we kept fishing and my line started to move out nice and slow. Felt like it would be a good one. Set the hook and the pole bent down and slow steady pressure. A few good swirls in the stained water and then it appeared. A snapping turtle around 25 lbs popped up. My daughter Victoria handled the net with great expertise and soon it was landed. a few photos and a hook removal with the pliers and the turtle was sent on its way..Funny how the fish stopped biting right about then. :D Image
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

You know salmon it has to be a fish to be added to the species list you have going turtles don't count :wink: :wink:

I'll probably have a go for the carp in a few weeks once it starts to really warm up... you're probably a week or so ahead down there... i can think of one or two bays that may have a few fish in but they won't be there yet in any numbers.

Those little 5lbers can be great for the kids.. they fight well and can be a lot of fun. i've had some 10lbers fight better than some 20's but one thing is for sure when you get one that goes slow it's a biggie.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D After tackle shopping this morning we came back and went carp fishing..again. When the young guy is on a roll he wants to go back for more. I think he dreams about bigger fish by the day..and they are getting bigger. Image

We were down for about an hour and a half. Caught 4 carp between 5 and 20 lbs and the small mouth bass. More fish moving into the back bays now. We saw many around 10 lbs.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Hey Salmon,

looks like fun for sure!... :D

that was mighty nice of the young lad to let you hold his big fish... :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ

P.S. John...take me! take me!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Way to go Jonathon! I may be looking for a few tips when we're Pike fishing tomorrow evening! :!:
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:( Could not get out salmon fishing due to winds ..so back for carp. We noticed a change in the fishes mood. More carp paying attention to each other and cruising than our baits. We still managed a few. Also big increase in the bull head catfish bite. Had to get by them to get to the carp.

Good old course fishing comes through to save the day again.. :D
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

The grass is sure lookign a lot greener down your way salmon.. no doubt i'll give it a couple more weeks yet before i stat looking for carp. The water will hopefully be warming up a little soon but with so much water it take a bit of time... there were ever blocks of ice on the north side of some of the islands on the st. lawrence last weekend so it's still pretty early yet.

RJ we'll have to get out before the muskrat trip and see if we can get you a few 20lbers :D
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D We have been popping out after Jonathan gets off of school each day. The sucker run is on and it keeps him busy with lots of fish. Also shiners spawning at the same time. In with them a few cruising carp. Jonathan managed his biggest yet a nice 17 lb football. Small amount of blood on the fish from it flipping around when he got it. It was released and swam away with lots of power.

SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

well i think i'm gonna have to give it a go this weekend... it looks liek a few days of warm weather may get them to bite... we'll see :lol: Saturday probably sounds like a plan.
adlewis
Participant
Participant

carp fishing in ottawa

Post by adlewis »

does anyone know a good spot for carp fishing in the ottawa area? i know a bunch in the kawarthas, but I've had no luck around here? can't some one give me some advice? :D
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D After salmon fishing with Markus I returned home just in time to meet my kids coming home from school. And Jonathan decided we should continue to fish and go for carp. We went down to the Grand and landed 5 in 45 mins..all smaller 3 to 8 lbs. Fast action, aggressive bite..Jonathan was happy. Now I can rest. :D