Advice needed for northern ontario ?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Cast-A-Way
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Advice needed for northern ontario ?

Post by Cast-A-Way »

HI Anglers

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on fishing northern Ontario ?

I would like to take the family fishing this summer somewhere in the range of about 3 hours away from Ottawa, I am looking for a spot that the kids would have a great time.
Pike fishing would be great and I am open to camping or cottage rental.

So if any of you have some advice as to where and maybe Time of year that would be great.

Thank you
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Are you looking at a lodge/outfitter or do you have your own boat?
Cast-A-Way
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cast-A-Way »

I do have my own boat but am open to anything
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

www.lauberge.ca - 2 and 1/2 hours from Ottawa.

Cabins on the Mattawa river. Cabins are okay there are some modern ones the beds generally suck. It's very senic with some good topography. The fish are there but the river has a bit of pressure so lunkers are hard to come by.

This is very much a family type place with lovely sandy beach for kids. They have a main campfire down by the water and usually everyone comes down at night. Best time is early mid-August for families.

The river holds a Pike, SM Bass, some Walleye and the odd Muskie. It has a very irregular bottom so that levels the playing field somewhat for newbies.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Cast Away,

Have you thought about camping at one of the Provincial or private campgrounds? There are lots of great places that have good fishing and that are kid-friendly.

I've camped at Murphys Point, Silver Lake, Driftwood, Sharbot Lake among others. They are all good in their own ways.
Cast-A-Way
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cast-A-Way »

I have done a few Prov. Parks had lot's of fun
But I have never fished the Northern Part !
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Try Driftwood... up past deep river. Ottawa river - beautiful, good fishing. campsites right on the river . nice beach, good for kids - shallow sandy ... Last time were were there we had a site where we could swim right at our site. Haven't been for 5 years but I'd like to go back.

You can also try some of the local lakes for trout (brook and lake).
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

hey

Post by Bruin »

Sorry to tell you BUT
you cannot get to Northern Ontario from Ottawa in 3 hours...unless North Bay is North.....Lotsa places along 17hy between Ottawa and NB though
Good luck
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I was wondering the same thing Bruin. To get to Northern Ontario you got to turn right in North Bay and head up Hwy 11.
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

You said it bruin,

Sorry Cast-A-Way, but if you're chasing after the legendary fishing of the north... you're going to have to go further than 3 hours. Officially they say North Bay is the gateway to the north, but northern folk know that the north starts at Sault Ste. Marie. (8-9 hours away)

Don't worry though, I've heard toronto folk reffer to Barrie as Northern Ontario!?

If you're looking for the FULL northern experience, I'd head to the parks around chapleau... specifically WAKAMI LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK.

I hate to be a stickler, but I didn't want you to get your hopes up and be dissapointed when the "north" didn't live up to the stories.

Although, if you're looking for something memorable that you can't get here... Sudbury area has a few lakes with populations of Aurora trout. Each lake is only open once every 3-4 years, but there's always one open. Do your research and you can get that once in a lifetime fish within about 4-5 hours drive.

Good luck.

FromTheNorth
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

jsdx wrote:Try Driftwood... up past deep river. Ottawa river - beautiful, good fishing. campsites right on the river . nice beach, good for kids - shallow sandy ... Last time were were there we had a site where we could swim right at our site. Haven't been for 5 years but I'd like to go back.

You can also try some of the local lakes for trout (brook and lake).
I'll agree Driftwood is a beautiful park for sure, as far as the fishing goes :( :( :( , never had much luck :?

Think I'll give it a try again this summer

Bear
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Don't do it!! :cry: :cry: Don't drive to ________ where the fish hop in the boat. Last year just south of Kipawa (2 hours north of North bay) we saw a man pulled over on the side of the road with a forelorn look on his face. His family was in the car. We thought they had run out of gas so we circled around. It was an American from Pensilvanya who had driven about 10 hours with his small children in the car. He was going out of his mind and we reassured him that the lake was 1/2 hour away. We looked at the van and saw how packed it was with gear and stuff for the kids and bikes and what not. The wife had taken it all in stride and simply had her husband pull over so the kids could be fed. He wanted to press on for the evening walleye fish...but the kids came first.

Stick with the 3 hour trip. Go in the middle August when the heat has usually broken and the flies are not so bothersome. Enjoy your family, rent a boat, and settle for the evening and morning fish. One of your kids may learn to love to fish. Some of my fondest memories of fishing is with my youngest daughter who is a fishhawk.

If you want that true fishing trip make the deal with your spouse. She goes for a week to do what she likes and then you do the same. My wife just got back from Cuba where she had spent a week with her sisters. :D .....I'm heading to BC and doing a flyin this summer. 8)..and we are both happy with this arrangement.
-Smitty-
Participant
Participant

Post by -Smitty- »

A good provincial park near North Bay is Samuel de Champlain PP. It has fairly good pike, bass and pickerel fishing. A small lake and river, but no motorized boats...great canoing if you're into that.

Also, lots of good programs for kids and adults, fishing from shore and a walking bridge, nice beach...hiking trails and so on.

check it out on the www.ontarioparks.com website
Cast-A-Way
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cast-A-Way »

Thank you all for the good Info !
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

hey

Post by Bruin »

I agree that Wakami is a great choice for fishing BUT BUT BUT
It is a Wilderness Provincial Park....So it does not have all the amenaties of a regular park....Basically outhouses and fishcleaning stations
but the walleye fishing is awesome....

PS- If you are up that way....You must stop at Martys Bear Den

From Ottawa you are looking at a full day drive