Add on to Sturgeon post Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Add on to Sturgeon post Question

Post by almontefisher »

Just another question to throw out there...Has anyone ever caught one of these fish??? And how big??
Placide
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Placide »

Never got one but, if any one wants to go out and try I would be more than happy to join them.
I remeber talking to a few ice fisherman from the Pembroke area who told me thay would catch the odd one through the ice.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Sturgeon? Methinks both Senior Bunk and Ransome have. It's one of my hopefull catches in my species list.
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

boated a few in the Ottawa... trolling for muskies

nothing bigger then 55"
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

Other than musky, I will seriously target them this year. Been reading up on them for quite some time now. Voracious eaters! I have a specific rod I want to test on them Hopefully Jackel will share his story on how big they can get :lol: Bring me that soft water!!!!!!!
Last edited by Peppino on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

Other than musky, I will seriously target them this year. Been reading up on them for quite some time now. Voracious eaters! I have a specific rod I want to test on them. Hopefully Jackel will share his story on how big they can get :lol: Bring me that soft water!!!!!!!
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I caught a sturgeon in a back bay on the Ottawa River, over on the Quebec side across from Petawawa (the area they used to call the "short turn"), in 1983. I was jigging for something, whether smallies or walleye I no longer recall - and got my jig caught on a snag. Or so I thought until the snag started to move........... I eventually boated the fish, which was not big by sturgeon standards, but was still about two and a half feet and probably twelve pounds! I remember being fascinated by the vacuum cleaner hose of a mouth he (she?) had.............

Doug
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

I got a good quantity off sturgeons in the past.like a lot....but no monster for me landed....i got a 26 pound.lost a 5 to 6 footer,,,in bouchete on the gatineau river once......i was fishing under a brige mabe 25 foot high people was on top off and they all saw that sturgeon coming to me,,,like 10 foot frome shore before he deside he had anaught and turn around and broke everything..... :cry: ......
we fish on the ottawa river in the verendry park a will back my father caught one by the back,,,,,,,a 37 pound took like 40 min.to bring it in,,,but imagine he had 10 pound test light rod..so he taught he had a monster pike or somthing but nope,a sutrgeons hook on the back.

in the gatineau river,there is a lot off sturegeons,,,we caught a lot off them at the dam in LOW quebec..

there is a lot off sturegeons,,in the higher part off the ottawa river nere fort coulonge,,,,,,,,,that is why there is still comercial fishing for them over there( i dont suport that ideal do). :? .

there been some monster sturgeons seen at the dam in walton nere fort coulonge to.

sturgeons is one meen fish.and one great fight.

yep,,peppino......we will target them this year... :wink:

there some big one caught all the time near montreal to.

i got some baby sturgeond last spring at victoria.....

joco
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I was told a story when I was a kid about a guy who caught a sturgeon up near Port of Call Marina in Dunrobin. The sturgeon caught was supposedly huge. The guy kept it, I dont know why, but it was so big its head was over the top hanging down on the windshield and its tailwas hanging up and over and down near the bumper of his pick-up truck. There is suppose to be a picture of it somewhere.

And once when I was a kid I was fishing at the marina, I had a big dead frog on the line and tossed out with a rock tied to the line, we would always catch big cats this way. Anyway I have the rod wedged in between big boulders and I was up talking to some friends, next thing you know, my rod just bends like crazy and snaps and goodbye , gone into the water. There was no tug or headshakes, it was just one smooth movement. Maybe I hooked a sub! :lol: :lol:

Anyway who kows for sure if the first story was real or not, but I have seen pics of monster sturgeon caught out of the Ottawa and I belive it.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

YEP there is some BIG one in here(O,R)...talk to some divers...you will have shivers....or talk to the comercial fisherman .

we do have sometimes big one caught in the grills at the dams.

its a big river.

those fish fish live for long time.they have time to get big....not as big then those sturgeons in b,c in the 1000lb pounds...but no probleme to see a sturgeons here in the 100s pound...,,there is not a lot off them...but there some....... :wink:

you want a great fight off a lifetime get a huge sturgeons...

joco
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

The many sturgeon I have seen come out of the Ottawa were on the ice :shock:

I have also seen a HUGE :shock: one jump right beside my boat while jigging the mouth of the black river..No more than 8 feet away...It was amazing.. The coolest thing was, my dad and I watched the whole thing.. :P
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

as you can tell by my face. I dident know what to think when he came up. :lol:
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I've caught a good deal of them on the Ottawa. They're my all-time favorite species. It's like hooking into a moving race car. :D

I'll be more than happy to share techniques with anyone who is interested..pm me. The only thing is that those of you who plan to fish them should practice strict catch&release. They are fairly common on the Ottawa river, but if people start keeping them then the population could drop to near extinction like it did in the St. Lawrence. :cry:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi c.f.t,w.

yep you are right there is not that mutch here in the lower part off the river,,,,,,a lot more in the higher part..

but i still dont get why there still commercial fishing for them here..in this river.and people have a limit off ONE........there is a reason for a limit off one.....because the population is declining,,,but still guive permit to comercial,,,,, :? to catch hundreds..... :? :cry: .

target them for the fight...... :wink:

there extrmely good eathing fish.we eat them (smoke)....

nothing wrong keeping one or two a year.....but keep in mind.that catch and realease is a good way to go for futur generation...

joco
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

had one last year Pickeral fishing in the Ottawa, hell of a fight, came in around 3 1/2 feet. My guess is that if you target them in the Ottawa you're gonna get 500 cats for every Sturgeon........