Propane heat and moisture?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wishin I was Fishin
Participant
Participant

Propane heat and moisture?

Post by wishin I was Fishin »

Finally got out on 4" of decent ice this afternoon on a small lake about an hour north of here for some splake. It was an opportunity to shake out the gear as well as try out some Christmas gifts. I took my new catalytic heater to give it a whirl inside the portable shack....after an hour it was like a rainforest in there! I know that when propane burns one of the by-products is H20 but this was downright uncomfortable. What do the rest of you guys do that normally fish in a hut. This is my first yr with a portable shack....I am thinking something is wrong with the heater maybe incomplete combustion? or is this just the way it is? I usually fish pretty remote lakes and just sit on the seat of my snowmachine with my back to the wind, but if the lake is fairly accessible why not be comfy!
-Smitty-
Participant
Participant

Post by -Smitty- »

i dont have any advice for you as far as the heater...but just wondering what kind of portable shelter you have...im thinking about buying the eastman 4 man but i thought some input from someone who has one would be a good idea

thanks
smitty
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

I'm of a mind that you need to provide some ventilation. Breathing emits most of the moisture and opening a zipper to allow the flow of air will rid you of most of the moisture problems.

Most portables have vents that you can open specifically for this purpose.

I don't see the propane heater being the problem. Too tightly sealed spaces are also a danger re: CO2
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

McQ I think is exactly right...just like my house we do not have enough air movement so we get condensation on the windows. Try to get a wee bit of air flow thru the hut.
BobbyBoucher
Participant
Participant

Post by BobbyBoucher »

Wouldn't you be getting condensation regardless because of the ice being melted inside the warm hut
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate. It's a bit like our tent trailer. When we used the propane heater for the first time everything was extremely damp. Clothes, trailer walls, people just about everything.We talked to the dealer and he said ventilate ventilate ventilate. Fresh dry air in old stale damp air out = a much drier environment. He was right. Two windows left open for cross ventilation cured most of the dampness. Hope this helps.
bowboy33
Participant
Participant

Post by bowboy33 »

I know this seems obvious but its simple. If venting doesnt completely solve your problem bring a couple old rag or fish cloths. I have had a portable for years now and when I dont want to open a vent every 10 minutes or so I just reach my hand up and dry it off with a rag or towel. Also another factor too consider is you may be pumping out too much heat. I have a 3000BTU and a 10-12 000 BTU heater and when the big one is on I have a lot more condensation. If you have different heat settings try a lower one.
wishin I was Fishin
Participant
Participant

Post by wishin I was Fishin »

Thanks For everyones input. Went out again this afternoon and opened the vents on both sides and things seemed much more comfortable and dry. Nice to finally ice a few fish! The splake are biting fairly well right now and the ice is in pretty good shape in the Bisset Creek/Stoneclife area. Can't wait for Jan 1 so we can fish for speckles...the real trout!
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

As an HVAC guy ventilation is definately your problem!
ottawafisher
Participant
Participant

Heater in Ice Shack

Post by ottawafisher »

Yeah......If using a heater in a shack, you have to ventilate....not an option...and sad that we have to tell you that.

Always ventilate....Fish-Hawk has spoken!!