Signature???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Signatures are part of the fun and are "common place" with forums. Forums without signatures are very rare.

As for the knowledge partner signatures. Maybe you should consider changing the icon. I'm sure a lot of people do not know it is a link.
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

sigs

Post by dana »

My guess is that all the extra bandwidth for the SIGNATURES
of the

ELITE " KNOWLEDGE PARTNERS " ATE IT UP

yes i know you guys are the greatest

all the rest of us are well ,second class[no large ink fonts]..[jk]

some thing like this but only more INK

I&I INFO:DANA aka wB
NVI=Not Very Important
NP=No Pro
NWS=No Web Site
NS=Not Sponsored
IS=IDIOT SAVANT
PH=Potentially Humourous
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

The board still has the speed of a blind snail! Let's dump the avatars too!
I really don't like that idea. Unsure just how much bandwidth signatures take but doubt it's considerable. Avatars, of course, take up more space BUT...I'll take the avatars over the signatures anyday.

Maybe trimming ancient posts that aren't of an informational, learning from debate, great reports or sentimental value? Though it'd be a pain going through them all.

I'm sure Bobber is tweaking things to get us to roadrunner speed.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I do not believe the slowness of the sight is related to pics in signatures.

I would say the database needs to be cleaned and or optimized. I would also check with the web host to see if the database server is running low on resources. It could be that another database for another application residing on the same server is sucking all the server resources.

Just my opinions...
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Geez folks,

The reservation of signatures for specified users was put in place in order to provide "something in return" for the exchange of a committment from people in the industry to participate and submit articles of interest and information "for your benefit".

At the same time, there were some who were taking liberties in signature files, disregarding our policies and requests, and yes the loading of large graphics in signature files does slow down the response, but that's not the case you are all experiencing at the moment.

Our host provider is having network issues that they are working to resolve. These network issues are slowing things down slightly at times.

Now regarding our Knowledge Partners......it's a name guys...and does not in any way elude to these people as being any better than anyone else. Do I have to run a poll on coming up with ideas and names as well? We all have knowledge to share, and these volunteers are willing to share their knowledge with all of you through the submission of information articles. In return, I give them a page to promote their messages, and a signature line to bring more exposure to them...that's it. First the Nickle+ club with issues, now the Knowledge Partners thing. Why has everything become such a competition all of sudden? Enough is enough please. I tell you, it's really starting to take a toll on me, and I'm afraid I'm starting to agree with some of the comments I've been reading in the past month or so.

I'll think about re-instating the signature lines as soon as I come up with an alternative way for easy access to these pages. It's on my list.....I'll get to it as soon as I can.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Thanks fatluke,

An icon change may indeed be in order. I thought it was clear, but then sometimes things clear to me are not clear to others. I'll explore another option for signature re-instatement. I'll ask that you just bare with me though.

Thanks.
fatluke wrote:Signatures are part of the fun and are "common place" with forums. Forums without signatures are very rare.

As for the knowledge partner signatures. Maybe you should consider changing the icon. I'm sure a lot of people do not know it is a link.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Bobber I'm unsure if anyone was taking a "serious" jab at the signature/info partners, aside from tongue and cheek sarcasm. Seriously doubt Dana meant it sincerely and it was more of joke.

I think it's safe to say that the wisdom, techniques, etc. that all info partners voluntarily bring to the site regardless of their area of expertise is GREATLY appreciated by the overwhelming majority of members.

If the cost of that free advice is a signature line? Pfffffftttttt. No brainer. Yeah, a sig. line is nice. Is it nec? Well no. If it's a perk for our kind info partners providing the benefit of their experience, I'll gladly do without it.

*whispers* (and post the annoying BurgerKing kid monthy to appease my need for needless anarchy). :lol:

I wouldn't let what started as an honest Q get you frustrated. Simply not worth it. Trust me! :wink:
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Kpin..

I ................. I love you.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

BBRich wrote:Kpin..

I ................. I love you.
Just plain weird......lol..

Bobber.... I only suggest the icon change to increase the amount of exposure that the knowledge partner's get on there bio pages. I would say it was close to a year before I realized that the icon in your signature was a link...

Luke
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Badger Shark wrote:How much do they cost K-pin? :lol: :lol: Man do you ever need to get well and find a woman or something fast. :lol:
...."a woman or something...." :?: :!: Jeez, Badger!

(Kpin, brings to mind a recent email with a certain guy being relentlessly pursued around a field, doesn't it?) :lol: :!:

W.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I'd respond Wolfe...but I'm still shocked by BBR's unbridled admission. :shock:

I'm still not gettin' ya anything for Xmas Rich! :lol:
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Wolfe you seem a little obsessed with this donkey in the field :lol: K-pin I think its kind of cute that BBR feels the way he does towards you! Demented and sad but cute to say the least.

And I had no idea the icon after the names was a link, man am I slow or what? Dont answer that K-pin.

And he does need a woman or something Wolfe, trust me he was out tonight at the committee meeting and was drooling over our waitress.....and the bartender.......and the two nice young ladies sitting at the bar...and Plowjock :lol: :lol: Im sorry this is just to much fun.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Sure, sure, make fun of the sick guy on his first day pass. Sorry if I was a little overwhelmed by all the stimuli. I've become accustomed to pickup sized nurses, sick people, blood tests, catscans, xrays, mri's and other joyfull things.

Besides....forget me! I say JP should get an academy award! :lol:
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

You do have a point there. After all he did cry twice.
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bobber

Post by dana »

quote:
"Now regarding our Knowledge Partners......it's a name guys...and does not in any way elude to these people as being any better than anyone else"

>its allude not "elude",,big diff..

on the sig thingy..
it IS "elitism"

shall i quote from Orwells "Animal Farm"

"everyone is equal but.... "

ya know the rest?

also the bandwidth being eaten up by knowledge partners sigz...the large proportioned.. thick.. dark..[sorry it sounds like coffee commercial] over sized fonts...was a joke too.
well maybe a bit of slowdown from it lol

&
yes i am
only in it for the
laughs kpin..
you get well sir.

nice site Bobber [hi Mike L]

dana

I&I INFO:DANA aka wB
NVI=Not Very Important
NP=No Pro
NWS=No Web Site