Keeping holes from freezing??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

......what Justin said....... :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I have black rubber discs with a slot to the center and a hole in the center. It fits over the hole. It works well on sunny days and at night it at least keeps the wind off the top of the water.
Norm
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

For the tip-down hole I like to build up the sides of the hole kind of like a volcano if snow is blowing around on the ground. Obviously it helps keep snow from blowing down in and freezing up the hole sooner.

Works for the jiggin holes too, but not as necessary cause the butt is usually parked over top of that hole and able to clear it more often.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Any ice up there yet Moose??????

Must be getting close??
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Draven
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Draven »

If you build a mound of snow beside your hole put a coffee can in it alittle with some charcoal bickettes as it slowly thaws dig out a grove to the hole the warm water keeps the hole clear and you can keep you hands and coffee warm too
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

If not catching fish might as well be cleaning since in some places your only allowed 1????not worried about hole freezing what about me
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i got a little tip frome a friend.hey jackel.

I got 2 cool little unit..........made for ice fishing hole...not to freez...

work great .......in regular water.....i hope cold weather wont effect the batteries to mutch........ :?

got 2 for now.....

its the ice kwiver.......its like a pok,it go around and around in the hole and that way its never freez.great ideal....

http://edgebyexpedite.com/store/home.php?cat=259

joco
MyButt
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

keep ice from....

Post by MyButt »

Hi guys, I'm not an ice fisherman, but would this not work, use the bubbler like the other fellow said, and hook it up to some of those cheap solar powered lights, just remove the lights, see where I'm going. I dono just a stupid thought I guess. Or what about heated plumers tape? hook that up to solar power????

MyButt
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi mybutt....

i dont think the little solar panel you talk about would be strong anaught to make that buble thing going.......but great ideal again...

but i tell you guys those

ice kwiver work great...........

but will see in cold condition,if the batteries will work a long time.and one more thing i saw wen i try it,,,there is a little sound,,, :? ...imagine that little unit is in the hole making sound,,,,in a pipe shape hole,,, :? ..its almost a speaker for down in the water,,it will send all that sound down into the hole,,,,,,,and in water sound is a lot more sensitive,,,,,

hey will see......if it those work.........those work in my kitchen sink................. :roll: ..

joco
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Joco I saw that Puck style thing at WM this week I might pick one up and try it.

Did you pick one up?? Try it in your freezer put 2 buckets in your freezer and try one with that thing and one without let me know!!! But I wonder if a couple of those throwaway hand warmers in a ziplock bag and put it in the hole i wonder if that could work???

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey Walleyeboss,

Come to Quebec on the St lawrence.We are allowed ten lines each so this problem becomes a real pain in the $%##.We definitely keep warm cleaning the holes LOL :lol: :shock: .

Ron
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I'm dying to go for sure. I do need to lose a few pounds so i'll just set my lines far apart , and I'll run a marathon around them. But I only have 2 hands for 2 jigging rods. PITY!!!!!!!!

joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

wallyboss.........

yep i did pick up two off them,,,,,,,,,they do seems to work well in the kitchen sinck.......but will see then how they will andle the cold...... :roll: .

scumking..,,,10 tip up..... :P :) :D ,,,,,,must be fun to be able to block accross a bay wit all off those, :twisted: ,,,,,,and see the last one at 1/2 a mile away going down,,, 8) ......keep you busy.

see you guys down there this winter....... :wink:

joco
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Moosebunk wrote:For the tip-down hole I like to build up the sides of the hole kind of like a volcano if snow is blowing around on the ground. Obviously it helps keep snow from blowing down in and freezing up the hole sooner.
I do the exact same this when the wind is howling out there...It's not uncommon to have your hole fill up 3+inches of snow and ice in a matter of minutes :x
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

The amount of times that I get to go Ice Fishing, I am more than glad to go out, take a stroll to each of the tip-ups.

It is good practise to check the minnow.
If it is not swimming properly, I bring the minnow pail, and put a fresh one on. Pays off - HUGE!
I finish off with skimming the hole clear, moving the line a bit, just in case a fish is near. Again.... many times while moving the minnow slowly, up and down... that's when I get the hit.
Then proceed to the next hole, until I get cold, then I'll come in the shack and warm my hands, have a quick swig, and back out to the set.