Downrigger releases

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
packrat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Downrigger releases

Post by packrat »

Was wondering what type of releases those people that D/R use?? When we were out Sunday my friend was using the "pad" type(new) and I'm here to tell you if we had connected with anything of any size there would have been more then raindrops falling. Those things were impossble to release when you wanted to change lures, even holding the rod out at an angle and giving it a good pull wouldnt do it. Lines were set at the first red dot. Got a couple of Walkers(lipstick tube type) that I've used when first starting out and I'm sold on them even tho you can still have problems with them releasing(operator error) TIA Gord
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D i believe its the scotty ones i use..green tips..plastic and slide nice.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

I use the Scotty releases. Took a little bit of re-learning for the flouro and with braid but I like them (simple and quick).

Father in-law uses the Walker releases.
Caseys Dream
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Caseys Dream »

Scotty Power Grip Plus, in 24" or 36" length
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D

Hi Gord...

I've only ever used the scotties.... :D

The big ones for the riggers, ....with the line about 1/2 way into the clips, ...mabe a bit deeper if you're draggin' a big flasher.... :D

The small ones for stacking, ....with the line buried in 'em..... 8)

skooter :wink:
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

releases

Post by Haybay Larry »

I have used different types over the years. The scotties seem to be a favorite. i have used some pad types that worked well.
The only ones i would not reccomend was a rHomer release[i think that's spelled right]. This was involved to rig and over time it would crack and eventually break into pieces. I haven't seen this type in many years, I'm just forewarning everyone....Larry