where to find walleye this time of year

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

where to find walleye this time of year

Post by scuro »

Fishing a larger Canadian shield lake north of North Bay the next two weeks. These are my assumptions about Walleye fishing this time of year. Best time to generally go fishing is early morning late evening. Look for flats/shelf near structure and deep water-> 10-20 ft range. They will come up from deeper water as the light dims. Trolling?...say anywhere from 10 -50 ft. Target depth say 10-20 ft. Or...trolling over emerging weeds.

I'm still learning a lot about walleye so pointers would be appreciated.
...anything to bend the rod
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

This is the summer peak - walleye have a huge feedbag on. Throw out all the assumptions and target the bait fish. Walleye are on the move and can be found in all levels of the water column.

Best percentage areas on shield lakes are long points with a gradual taper, saddles between islands or bay entrances with 20'+ water tapering to larger weed flats, sand bars, mid lake shoals, etc.

It is not uncommon to find the bigger fish chowing down on bait in 2' feet of water at this time of year - the key is to be observant. Watch your sonar unit for bait balls at depth, bird feeding activity along shorelines, gulls or cormorants active over mid-lake structure. All these elements will help set your targets.

Narrowing the search to structural elements that indicate spot on spot areas such as inside turns (pockets), feeding ledges, umbrella type weed growth and transition zones (rocks - gravel - sand) will be productive.

Live bait is the key and speed is the singular most critical element, harnesses with crawlers and inlines are your search lures, then a switch to light jigs tipped with crawlers or leeches once the school is located.

Pitching small jigs to the leading edges of shoals - sandbars and letting the jig tumble down will produce big fish that are up high actively feeding on these sun warmed dining tables.

Low light conditions are always the first consideration as prime time but my observations at this time of year put the productive bite times at between 10 & 2. The water is at its warmest and the bait activity is high which is the key. Wind is your friend and when it starts to blow around 10 kph the chop is at its best. Structure that tops out just below the surface should be your #1 target followed by rocky shoreline.

Putting a strategy together combines all your knowledge and experience but don't be afraid to try something new - you can be surprised.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Once again McQ covered all the bases with excellent information - All I will add is this is my favorite time of year as some of the walleye will suspend out in the main basin of a lake feeding on bait-fish. The suspended bite seems to be best in the afternoon, 1 to 4 pm has produced the best results when targeting the suspended fish. This is one of my favorite times of the year as I get to apply my big water trolling skills on smaller inland lakes and catch a few big fish before the the transition to fall patterns.

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

"Late morning to early afternoon", in midsummer as one of the best walleye times...that boggles my mind. Goes against all that i have read and what anyone has ever told me about Walleye fishing. Granted, I'm a rookie with this species...

But it's like someone telling me that my wife doesn't like bling. :lol:
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I definitely trust these guys , they know what they are talking about, these are the things I have always wanted to know. Thanks guys. And buy the way, fish seem to like bling too. :lol:
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Human nature being what it is holds back most fishermen from improving their skills. Much has been written about walleye fishing and a lot of it is rehashed to provide filler in Magazines. There is a great difference in the skills and knowledge of the occassional fisherman, the weekend warrior, the dedicated season angler and the tournament fisherman. It really boils down to trying new things - keeping a log of the activity and practicing and refining new found techniques.

I don't ever pretend to know all there is to walleye fishing but I have accumulated a wealth of knowledge over the past 40 years on the water and do enjoy sharing what I have learned.

We become better fishermen because of our willingness to improve techniques & tactics. Breaking away from the widely accepted norms is difficult but there is a huge reward on the other side.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

I'll take that advice and just extend the morning fishing and see what happens for a few days. You said speed was a critical element...2 mph hour troll?

I'm not even a weekend warrior, I'm a 3-5 fishing trips a year desperado. :lol:
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

Does that go for Lakes and Rivers, or primarily lakes? I'm planning on hittin BOQ again tonight and/or tomorrow...

Can I expect some of the same or should I be changing some of these techniques?

Was out already with minimal success, we got fish but We want more :lol: :lol: :lol: (who doesn't?)

I can never pass up the opportunity to learn from a Pro or two :D :D :D
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

This particular response was to a question regarding shield lakes. Most any tip or technique can be adapted to other bodies of water. When it comes to the Bay of Quinte I like to take the approach as I would to a big river. You are facing such a great opportunity when on this water that at first it can be quite confusing.

The key question at this time of year is "where are the bait fish", and what the top of the food chain is relating to.

If your bass fishing then the #1 percentage spot becomes the weed beds, similarly for pike, walleye will be found along the edges but your percentages increase when you can find them oriented to rock. Long points and shoals are my #1 target areas and the open water areas that are in close proximity.

Being a clear water fishery now the Bay should be approached at depth first, use your sonar to find the structural elements that combine the best of all habitats. transitional elements such as rock to gravel to sand/mud to weed are best. there will be clear lanes around this sort sort of structure and these lanes are the underwater highways for walleye. Rest and feeding spots are the shelves and pockets that hold bait fish.

Spend some time checking out maps of the area, locate prime target areas then hit the water and check these areas out for high percentage structure or cover.

Remember it's fishing and there aren't any rules until you apply techniques and put fish in the boat.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Scuro- my handheld GPS is a valuable tool. Measuring SOG from .75 - 1.75 MPH trolling worm harnesses has been the most productive speed range. Controlled drifting is very effective too especially with a leech on a floating rig.

While jigging be subtle with your rod movements a tip shake will attract more bites than a 2 hour wrist movement and fish light, the lightest you possibly can and still maintain sensitivity.
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

While the Bay itself is now very clear, I find once you enter Hay Bay, the clarity is lost, for whatever reason, I assume because the bottom changes from rock to mud and sand, I may be wrong, but it seems like the reason to me.

So a good starting assumtion could be to find where the rock bottom begins to turn to mud, and try and locate baitfish in this general area?
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Water clarity can be affected for a number of different reasons. Clarity is usually the lack of suspended particles and these particles can be sourced from silt, plankton degrading weeds, etc.

I would make an observation that Hay Bay is the recipient of particulate matter because of its position relative to prevailing winds. This is not a bad thing for a number of reasons, there's food, there's weed growth and there is a myriad of bottom make-up.

Weeds = cover, cover = comfort and these two together make for ideal habitat for all fish.

Your goal is to sort out the 90% of the water that is unproductive and concentrate on the high percentage areas.

Working from the entrance East - find the transition zones and concentrate on them. The fish will be there. Work your way into the Bay proper and be vigilant for similar elements. You'll find humps and rock piles surrounded by weed growth and pronounced lanes with edges throughout the bay. Key in to those changes that provide comfort areas for the fish.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

BigSim wrote:Does that go for Lakes and Rivers, or primarily lakes? I'm planning on hittin BOQ again tonight and/or tomorrow...

Can I expect some of the same or should I be changing some of these techniques?

Was out already with minimal success, we got fish but We want more :lol: :lol: :lol: (who doesn't?)

I can never pass up the opportunity to learn from a Pro or two :D :D :D
Big Sim...
Fished Quinte last Saturday in shallow water (10ft) with a strong South Wind that had the fish stacked against the shore. Went over 28 walleye, I say over because we quit counting. All in the 22 to 24 " range. Summer is hear - water temp are in the high 70's so the bite is on. This is my favorite time of year and I have already logged 198 walleye for the month of July. BTW the best bite was between 12pm and 3pm...we where heading home when all the locals started heading out for the evening bite...problem was the walleye where done feeding and the wind was now calm :lol:

Lots of these on Saturday

Fish on...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

E.T.

Between the info my dad learned at one of your seminars and your consistent ability to answer helpfully, you're becoming my hero.

thanks for the info, Hoepfully we do Well.

Obviously not gonna make today's 12-3 bite, but maybe tomorrow :):)

thanks again
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

There is lots of pieces in the puzzle...McQ has listed most of them. Take a look at your day weather winds etc. Make a plan and then adjust as the day changes. Once you put all the pieces together you will land walleye.

good fishing

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch