Gordo/RJ's Ice Hut Project.....(Updated Dec. 11th)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Looks great RJ and Gordo!

Just a couple observations though.

1. You should have went with 3/4 inch plywood for the floor. I don't think you're gonna get much life out of that chipboard floor even if you do treat it.

2. I talk to RJ last night about the position of the runners. I'm just concerned about the stress on the over hanging floor. Weight from bodies, woodstove, wives :lol: , may cause it to warp in the future.

3. Those are big floor holes and combined with the high runners, you'll be looking at drafts. Maybe you could design 12 inch (or bigger) plastic pipes the seat into them and go right to the ice and fish straight down em.

4. Find a scap yard and attach some type of metal runner on the runners. It'll prevent them from getting chewed to hell and they will pop out easier when you want to move it.

There is a ton of room in that baby! I can't wait to see all the winter adventures that will be born in that thing! :P
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI R.J

I love it,,,,,its a nice size you got there,,,,,,,,,,

can t wait to see it finish.......and on the ice,,,,

i have the same conserne as kodiac and markus....for the runners....i can t see how they are attatche to the cabin,,,,,?

but i did put some on my,,,cople years back,,,,and one runner went sideways and broke,,,,,i did not have anaught suport on eatch side,,off the runners,,,,so now i have put an axle and 2 atv wheels on it,,,,and got some 4 wood block so 1 for heatch corner,,,,

but just building the ice shak is a lot off fun,,,,,the preparation is almost as fun as the doing,,,, :wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI R.J

I love it,,,,,its a nice size you got there,,,,,,,,,,

can t wait to see it finish.......and on the ice,,,,

i have the same conserne as kodiac and markus....for the runners....i can t see how they are attatche to the cabin,,,,,?

but i did put some on my,,,cople years back,,,,and one runner went sideways and broke,,,,,i did not have anaught suport on eatch side,,off the runners,,,,so now i have put an axle and 2 atv wheels on it,,,,and got some 4 wood block so 1 for heatch corner,,,,

but just building the ice shak is a lot off fun,,,,,the preparation is almost as fun as the doing,,,, :wink:

joco......take care....

and see you soon on ice,,,,,only about 1 month left... :P
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Just an idea I've used on a couple home made sleds. To make it easy to pull, buy a couple of those cheap plastic slider mats that the kids use. Cut it in strips the width of your runners and tack them on. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes on the drag. Makes it easy to pull (and sometimes hard to stop)
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Hut

Post by Graembo »

Nice work lads, you just got me motivated to finish up the work thats left on the one me and fatluke are building. I think tomoro's temperatures will be THE time to do it.

Will post when done

G

oya PS I'm a born & raised Leaf fan so your paint scheme idea SUX! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

RJ..... The hut is looking great..... :!: But, you really need to remove those running boards and move them right to the edge of your hut. Trust me.... this is critical. Once you do that get yourself a couple more boards to put in between the runners front and back. Then you can shovel snow up against the boards on all four sides and she'll be toasty warm and will last for years to come.
trapperdirk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trapperdirk »

Looks good lads but I may as well give you a a critique too . LOL :D Them holes are pretty tight to the walls and if for some reason you had to fire up a power auger to redo them well lets say my knuckles are already hurting . Been there and done that . :wink:

TD
Misses Livewell
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Misses Livewell »

The hut looks great guys - Birdee and I appreciate your hard work.. but i don't see our heater anywhere :twisted:

oh, and for your troubles....
you deserve the finer things in life.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(where's the smiley spewing coke out his nose when you need it?)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Everyone's a critic eh?.... :lol:

The floor isn't Chipboard.....it is full blown plywood.....had we gone 3/4 we'd never be able to move it....so it's 3/8ths.....and it's solid... :wink:

The runners.....we debated on three.....but decided on two with support between them....we will discuss 2 more.....and they will be covered by aluminum strips for easier sliding....

My main concern is how this sucker will fit on BTS's trailer and attempt to make it down the road... :?

I'll be opening the holes with a spud or my FinnBore so the location of the holes wont be bad for knucklebusting... :lol:...and it is actually a bit further than it looks...

What do the temps have to be to be able to paint outside?... :roll:

RJ
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

About the paint RJ: It should be at least 7 degs. out :wink:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Plywood?

Post by Cancatchbass »

Hmmm...

The floor looks like OSB to me, not plywood. It can delaminate if exposed to many wet/dry cycles - such as found in an ice shack...

Seal it WELL.

As for sealing around the exterior, have you thought about having hinged sections that fold down once you have your shack in place? Just a thought from an anti-stationary-shack ice angler. :lol:

CCB- have Fish Trap will travel!
Last edited by Cancatchbass on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI RJ

I hope you will paint it this morning,,,,,15degree today,,,,,you wont see that to mutch in the next month,,,,

mabe you could just put it on a big doble ski-doo trailer,,,,it should fit,,,
and they tilt,,, :wink:

can t wait to see the end result,,,,,,great ice shak,,,

what the name off it,,,,,?

joco :)
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

huts

Post by Big Jim »

Me thinks a Fish-Trap would settle the debate forever boys!!!

BIG JIM......out'...and not in the cold.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Plywood?

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Cancatchbass wrote:Hmmm...

The floor looks like OSB to me, not plywood. ..
Uh, I'd have to concur there CCB :!:

Perhaps apply some type of non-slip surface, but it'll still rot unless you do the underside too :!: :wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

My bad fellas....yep it is OSB......and we'll seal it up tight....I guess we grabbed from the wrong pile... :?

I personally plan to use it as a homebase....and somewhere for the kids and Birdee to hang out in......and somewhere Birdee and I can tuck into after a crappy day at work to unwind by the wood stove......

I'd buy a portable but none will fit in my car without driving me absoltely nuts....

Plus....as far as portables go....I find ice fishing to be more of a social thing for me...though Big-O and I catch a whack of pannies thru the ice...we spent our best days just hangin out shootin the breeze on the ice.....I could never see myself closing up a clam over myself to sit alone.....just not my thing.. :wink:

A name.....workin on it... :wink:

RJ