telescopic rod or 5' UL for small creek trout

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
levitch
Participant
Participant

telescopic rod or 5' UL for small creek trout

Post by levitch »

hey all

I plan on doing a bunch of trekking through backwoods to some small creeks in search of some trout...
I am trying to decide between a telescopic rod which can be packed really small...handy for getting through the brush
or
a 5' ultralight rod...typically a 1 piece rod which would be trickier to travel with, but would have a better feel than the telescopic (faster tip...more sensitive etc)

I'm sure there are guys on here who have tried both in this scenario, so I am looking for advice from folks who have tried it already.

thanks in advance
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Re: telescopic rod or 5' UL for small creek trout

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hi levitch,

I've been fishing small, brushy brook trout streams for a long time now, but haven't used a telescopic rod or a 1 piece 5 ft rod. I use 2-piece 5'6 ft ultralight and light rods, and find they're pretty manageable for bushwhacking when broken down.
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Hi levitch,

I've been fishing small, brushy brook trout streams for a long time now, but haven't used a telescopic rod or a 1 piece 5 ft rod. I use 2-piece 5'6 ft ultralight and light rods, and find they're pretty manageable for bushwhacking when broken down.
Cool.. do you mind sharing what brand/model of rods you use. And give any review of them?
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I've used a 5'6 ultralight Fenwick HMG in the past when they were still made in Taiwan, but then about 10 years ago after the HMG "wore out" I switched to a new old stock 5'6 light action Berkley Imperial that I bought from an eBay seller for about 30 bucks. I like the Berkley; it's made in China, but its got a nice action, good graphite blank, nice cork grips, and a quality Fuji reel seat and Fuji guides. The price was right too, so if/when the rod breaks or wears out, I won't feel too bad (I've got a new Daiwa rod still in it's packaging as an eventual replacement).

Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

excellent... thank you!