Spinning Rods? who uses them still???

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Spinning Rods? who uses them still???

Post by ShawnD »

I own 3, always keep them in the boat and mostly use them for finesse applications.
Also very useful when you bring someone fishing that has no idea how to use a baitcaster.. :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

ShawnD wrote: Also very useful when you bring someone fishing that has no idea how to use a baitcaster.. :lol:
I thought Justin knew how to use BC's ? :oops: ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

toobinator wrote:Frank: I've put that combo in a lot of peoples hands this spring. They call me a bad name. lol
When I first used my NRX852C I still called you a bad name. As I was setting the hook, I said: "That $?%%&&'n Ed was right." 8)
I'll probably be taking a smoke break this Saturday morning. I have a "Romeo Y Julietta" that's calling my name.
While I'm there, I'd like to have a look at the NRX 894 and 895. (That's how it starts LOLOLOLOLOL)
If it works out, my DX745 would probably have to go. :shock:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
PMac
Participant
Participant

Post by PMac »

Great thread and discussion guys. I agree that sometimes it's just personal preference and what feels comfortable for the individual. If you successful using spinning rods, then that's what matters really. I do have a number of spinning rods in my boat that I use for the drop shot, football jigs, grubs, senkos an Frank you're really gonna love this, I also use a spinning rod for smaller cranks and traps :) :) :)
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Until it broke (and I need to send it in for replacement) I used my Mossyback for tubes and small YUM grubs.
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Use them for Dropshot, tubes, jerkbaits, texas rigged senkos, and like Pete, sometimes it just feels so right throwing small cranks with them!

How someone could drop a spinning set up from their arsenal blows my mind!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

PMac wrote:Great thread and discussion guys. I agree that sometimes it's just personal preference and what feels comfortable for the individual. If you successful using spinning rods, then that's what matters really. I do have a number of spinning rods in my boat that I use for the drop shot, football jigs, grubs, senkos an Frank you're really gonna love this, I also use a spinning rod for smaller cranks and traps :) :) :)

Pete .... You brought tears of joy to my eyes. 8)
I used spinning gear for many many many years and remember cranking the Big O's. Could feel every wobble.
I'm not one to complain about aches and pains but my right shoulder and elbow are so screwed up from my early years of hockey and skiing injuries that I can no longer use spinning gear with any degree of comfort.
Been researching finesse bait-casting options to throw those lighter lures.
Found a combination that can easily handle 1/8 oz lures. I'll be using the smaller cranks and jerk baits that I had put away.
Might even be purchasing a few spy baits ... just to see what all the craze is about. :?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I still use them - absolutely!
Specifically, dropshot.
But if I know I'm not fishing deep (>10') that day, I'll tie on a light weight tube or wacky senko and skip those lures WAAAAAY back under docks or overhanging trees like nobody's business. Caught a 4.5lb largie on the Rideau doing this - she was tucked up basically in the root system of a willow tree overhanging a good 40' swath of the river. I recall skipping the senko so far back that it hit the base of the tree, and then she SLAMMED it. The fight was pretty epic as there were all kinds of weeds around, and the rod had to be kept low to clear the willow branches. But I got her in, no prob!
I (shamefully) use a Kistler magnesium series 6'9" MH spinning rod for both dropshot and senko. It works.
I REALLY prefer the drag system on spinning reels, too. I use a Pflueger President reel and it's butter smooth. 20# braid and an 8#, 8' CFX fluoro leader for dropshot.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I honestly do not know if I could get rid of all of my spinning setups but I do not see the need for two personally.

I will agree that it is better to have one or two in the boat for newbies and that is why I keep the spare. This will be the first year in a long-time that I actually plan on using that second setup. I tested it out on the long weekend and man, it is still a nice combo and now I know why I have been told not to get rid of it.

You can definitely see that personal preference plays a huge role in this but I am amazed at how many different techniques people use spinning rods for still.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Adam

I honestly think that for whacky rigged senko's, tubes, grubes and dropshotting that a spin cast is the way to go.

I agree though 95% of ALL my rods (except carp) are baitcast.
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

I'm pretty sure spinning gear will always be present in my rod locker. I use them for drop shotting, draggin' tubes/jigs, wacky rigged senkos, shakey heads, spybaiting .. pretty much anytime I require a light line application and I certainly have more confidence in the better/finer drag system on spinning reels.

And for me, when your skipping docks or throwing lighter lures into the wind, there is nothing easier than throwing a lure on spinning gear and when each cast counts, do you really want to be sorting out an over-spooled baitcaster when you could've placed that lure perfectly with a spinning setup.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

BradGuenette wrote:You guys are crazy, spinning rods can never be replaced!!
Drop shot
Dragging tubes
Wacky rigged senkos
Blade baits
Spy baits
Jerkbaits
Hair Jigs
Flukes

I still find it hard to believe there are bass fisherman out there today that do not drop shot :roll:
Exactly. My spinning rods make up half my arsenal and I use them for all the above and more. In addition to light fluoro's (7 pound sunline sniper) I like to run lighter braid (15-20 lb.) on my spinning rods too. Will use heavier fluoro on my baitcasters. I also t-rig a lot of worm baits on my spinning rod, with mainline braid and a 10-12 pound fluoro leader.

No doubt, I catch my biggest bass on spinning outfits every single season.
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

Always have one on my deck (three on tournament days). I drop shot a lot so that rod never leaves me (DX702). I also carry a DX743 for my senkos/tubes and Champ 704 for my senkos, tubes and small swimbaits (yes, I prefer bombing a swimbait on a spinning outfit).

Definitely have a place for spinning on my boat.
whoodatguy
Participant
Participant

Post by whoodatguy »

TheMaverick wrote:
ShawnD wrote: Also very useful when you bring someone fishing that has no idea how to use a baitcaster.. :lol:
I thought Justin knew how to use BC's ? :oops: ;)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW PONY!!!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

curls wrote:I still use them - absolutely!
Specifically, dropshot.
But if I know I'm not fishing deep (>10') that day, I'll tie on a light weight tube or wacky senko and skip those lures WAAAAAY back under docks or overhanging trees like nobody's business. Caught a 4.5lb largie on the Rideau doing this - she was tucked up basically in the root system of a willow tree overhanging a good 40' swath of the river. I recall skipping the senko so far back that it hit the base of the tree, and then she SLAMMED it. The fight was pretty epic as there were all kinds of weeds around, and the rod had to be kept low to clear the willow branches. But I got her in, no prob!
I (shamefully) use a Kistler magnesium series 6'9" MH spinning rod for both dropshot and senko. It works.
I REALLY prefer the drag system on spinning reels, too. I use a Pflueger President reel and it's butter smooth. 20# braid and an 8#, 8' CFX fluoro leader for dropshot.
I think I know that tree :lol: