The Johnny Green story

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

The Johnny Green story

Post by smitty55 »

I had read this story in the April 2012 OOD mag but lost it along with a few hundred others. An interesting story for sure and some local history. Plus it was and I'm sure would still be a good Laker lure. Someone on the OOD forums still had the mag and was nice enough to scan it and send it to me. Hope you enjoy the story.
green_0003.jpg
green_0003.jpg (9.13 MiB) Viewed 5099 times
green_0001.jpg
green_0001.jpg (5.42 MiB) Viewed 5099 times
green_0002.jpg
green_0002.jpg (6.34 MiB) Viewed 5099 times
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: The Johnny Green story

Post by smitty55 »

Hmmm, using the attachment feature makes for slow loading it seems. Let's see if PB works better

That's better. Cheers

Sorry for the small font. Ctrl and + or the mouse wheel will zoom in.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Great local story from back in the day, good post Smitty I find stories like this very fascinating!

I fish a deep backwoods lake up in algonquin for a week every spring for specks and one of the lads I go up with has been doing this trip for years now. He has a hand made spoon which he was given by a local family who fishes this same lake every year and has been doing so for the last 60+ years, I was fortunate enough to meet a few of them(gramps, dad and grandson) this past spring on our trip and the only Lure they have in there box is this handmade spoon. Well let me tell you that this spoon was the ticket all week, couldn't keep the fish off it was a magnet everytime it dropped into the water!
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

Great read, definitely an interesting local story. Thanks for the contribution Smitty.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Neat story there too Troutskiii. Must have been interesting to meet three generations at once.
Funny how that works sometimes. Lots of areas seem to have there own locally made lures that seem to work best. Amazing how much better one certain lure can totally consistently outfish anything else. Specially being home made and not for sale. It must mimic something in that lake that the trout love to eat or totally hate for some reason. Have you or your bud ever tried that lure in other trout lakes?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Was thinking the spoon may mimic a leach perhaps, the one my bud was using that he got from the old guy was black with a bit of yellow, obviously hand painted. We had been at the lake 2 days before the 3 other lads showed up and they were just as surpsied to see us as we were to see them, once they saw my bud they recognized him from years past. Very difficult area in the park to access, you need minimum I would say a week to make it worthwhile by the time you make it into the lake.

I noticed that they also had a copper coloured spoon that was identical and it seemed to be working just as good, don't think colour was a factor as much as motion it made.

We will be heading back this spring as soon as the park opens and will more then likely I'm hoping bump into them again, had a great chat with them and the old gramps sure knew the park well, I guess after fishing it for the last 50-60yrs you get to know your way around it.

Troutskiii
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Yea I think I remember you posting about that trip last spring or the one before. Real long canoe and portage trip if I recall. Good size fish too, right? It's probably the highlight of your summer.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

That's the trip, think it was between 42-45km of paddling and 20-25km of portaging.....one way! All worth it in the end when Your sitting around the fire eating fresh speck nuggets cooked in the cast iron pan!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Awesome article, thanks for sharing Smitty!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

That's the article I was talking about.

Holy trout haul in that one pic though. If only they thought back then how those kinda single day slays would impact the future fishery. One chunker on a stick too...

Thanks Smitty.