Rod Handles

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Rod Handles

Post by TheMaverick »

Yet another debated subject pulled from the “Group Texts Chronicles” has made its way to Fish-Hawk, rod handles!
As I do realize this is a personal preference, I’ve always preferred full cork handles myself.

Seems the industry is pulling away from cork, as it’s becoming a scarce material to source.
I can only think of a few companies still producing full handles with fair grade cork, and few others using considerable filler in what seems to be below grade cork.

Is there an advantage to EVA that I’m not aware of, and do split handles benefit from other characteristics then weight reduction?
Is this one of your deciding factor when purchasing a rod?
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Rod Handles

Post by lape0019 »

I prefer cork handles but that is where it ends. I could care less if it is a split grip or full grip.

The only EVA gripped rod I own is a Compre and I only have this one because it was a warranty replacement. The original Compre was cork.

EVA has its advantages like being lighter than cork but I prefer the feel of cork.

I have been considering a Zodias as of late as the reel seat is really comfortable and this for does have a EVA handle so as much as I prefer a cork grip, I don't see the material as a deciding factor at all.
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

I prefer full cork myself. For the rods that I have held with EVA, it felt slippery and didn't like the feeling. But to be honest, I have not given these handles a chance. Maybe trying them on the water, I would change my mind. But for now, it's cork for me. When I have the choice between full and slip, I now buy full.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Getting down to the details! Awesome..

Personally,
I love split grips, I prefer EVA foam, nothing wrong with Cork though.

What I don't like about cork is having to clean it every now and then and the full handles seems unnecessary...
(To me! ^) :|

Also, from a new comer point of view, someone looking at all the thousands of different rod manufactures, they (full grips made of cork) can appear as "Low tech", you see all these companies coming out with split grips, EVA foam and what ever the St-croix Rage/ Tournament Legends series are made of. Then you see new rods stuck in the past with cork.
I do like the multi shaped/shades and types of cork designs some of the newer companies are coming out with.
Like the Fenwick series of rods. Mixing it all up, EVA, Dark cork, lighter cork..

In the end both fish well, I've owned both but mainly have the EVA foam grips now.

I really like the Halo Rods and Cashion rod line up, they have a different design all together.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Halo_Fis ... e-HFC.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Cashion_ ... e-CCR.html

YEEESSSSSSSSSSS I'm a Geek :geek:
:lol:

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Full cork handles for me. I hate split grips (exception NRX). 8)
I don't mind (too much) the NRX split grip because the handle is longer than that of the Dobyns rods.
If the NRX had full grips, I would probably own a few more. :geek:

Quality cork is much more expensive than the cheap EVA foam material.
The only advantage to using EVA is for the manufacturer.
They can get it on demand and it's very cheap to produce.

Now, all they have to do is sell us the idea that it is new and improved and superior to cork. :wink:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I prefer Cork with Full Grip.

Full Grip is more a deciding factor than EVA when purchasing. I find the full grip more comfortable when casting, And i have had the butt end get hooked in the packet of my jacket or hoodie. As for the Cork, i think it's just a preference on appearance.
- Rick Ozga
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

ShawnD wrote:
What I don't like about cork is having to clean it every now and then and the full handles seems unnecessary...
You can always try U-40 cork sealer.
I was also suggested by Richard Dobyns to use Windex, works great!
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I prefer cork where the heel of my hand touches - just has the 'right' feel. I find EVA a bit dead feeling.
The WORST handle I've ever had was on a Kistler Helium II with that hard-as-rock plastic covered in a wrapped thread. My hand was bruised after a few hours of flipping and pitching, and when wet I found it terribly slick.

The best handles, to me, are on 13 Fishing Omen Black rods. The cork area is thinner than normal, it's a split grip (I like for the fact they seem to 'lock in' to the co-angler rod holes in my partners' boat), and it's got a great trigger that's just perfect for how I hold my pitching rods.
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

I was looking for some info on pricing and found this nice article about cork vs eva.

http://activeanglingnz.com/2014/05/01/r ... -eva-foam/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Christian Gervais wrote:I was looking for some info on pricing and found this nice article about cork vs eva.

http://activeanglingnz.com/2014/05/01/r ... -eva-foam/
Great read, thanks for sharing!

Shawn, "Cork, three times more sensitive"....this would explain why you're missing so many fish! :o ;)
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

love cork, especially in bad weather or hot days.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

curls wrote: it's a split grip (I like for the fact they seem to 'lock in' to the co-angler rod holes in my partners' boat)
This is true!
Thanks for bringing it up.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I don't like love handles...............

No in all seriousness my vote is for cork.

Split grip.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

How do you guys hold your rods that it really makes that much of a difference?
When fishing are you holding the cork or eva when reeling or are you more holding the reel??

I do prefer cork if I had to choose either or but really it's not a deciding factor for me.
Last edited by biggs on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

My palm is on the side of the reel.
Fingers usually not touching the cork.

Just find the cork lighter.