Flipping jigs

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Flipping jigs

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I have been hearing a lot this past year that jigs are a great way of catching fish and big fish. I have some jigs but have no idea which kind of jigs are used where and which jigs are good. Every year i try to learn a new technique and fishing a jigs is something i want to try this coming season (only 6 months but whos counting). Any insight into jig fishing would be much appreciated.

Brian Simms
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Flipping jigs

Post by toobinator »

Brian: A Thursday night out at Paddletales would be a good place to get information.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I have limited knowledge of what you are looking for.

I use flipping jigs for Pitchin and I truly like the revenge jigs. The line tie is built into the head so it doesn't get hung up in weeds. I have also used swim jigs, but not all that much.

A football jig or 4 should be in my tacklebox but I just have never used them. I know they excel when dragging bottom in 20 fow or more, but have never really done much.

I am sure you will get more detailed answers from a few here, but Ed is correct. A Thursday night at Paddletales can Provide you with a wealth of knowledge from quite a few great anglers in the area.

Good luck!

Adam
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Ed as much as I would love to get out for a thursday night outing I have prior commitments for thursdays. I'm due for a trip out regardless (a few gift cards have come my way and i need a new Flipping stick).

Brian
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

There are a lot of dudes (and dudettes) that follow this website that can give you some awesome jig fishing pointers - maybe they will chime in with something for you. In the meantime I will throw a few things out there for consideration, sorry if it seems basic, you said you weren't familiar so I thought I would go to the very basics of it all:

1. All you need are a few 1/2 oz. jigs, if you don't know what colour to start with go with black and blue. You can't go wrong with the Strike King series of jigs - strong hooks, good weed guards, lots of different styles (football vs swim vs. hybrid etc.) Like I said - can't go wrong with Strike King in my personal opinion. Lots of guys get custom jigs done as well... as for "trailers" I use craws and other creature styles baits mainly. You can "match the hatch" or go with a different colour from your jig to create a contrast that sometimes can drive bass nutty... You also don't need a trailer 100% of the time although I do like to use them to bulk up the profile of whatever jig I might be throwing.

2. Next, your line. If you are in heavy cover (thick weeds) go with 50-65 pound test braid. If you are around rocks or timber you may want to consider using a 17 - 25 pound fluouocarbon line (I like Seaguar Abrazx line, but everyone has different preference. Sunline also makes many good lines.)

3. Last but not least, your stick. Ed from Paddletales is the man to see here, but in the meantime, You are going to want at least a Medium Heavy rod and most people will tell you a flipping stick needs to be a heavy powered rod. No doubt, MH is the bare minimum because you will be pulling fish out of heavy cover, throwing heavier baits, and with heavy line - it all points to a heavy power rod. You will also likely want some length to it. Most flipping sticks are anywhere from 7'3" to upwards of 8 feet. You can get a decent rod in the 7'6" range and you will be happy to know they are under a 100 dollars for some of the beginners series like Abu Garcia Vendetta for example... Shimano, Abu, Dobyns, they are all great rods. You can't go wrong these days when you spend over a 100 on a fishing rod, you are almost always getting a great product despite the brand name on it...

Now, youtube some Flipping and pitching vids so you know the difference. There is a time and place for both and they are not the same technique although some regularly get them confused...

Now, hit the water, and soak that jig on the bottom. a few shorts pops, let it fall back. Another pop. Let it rest on the bottom for a few seconds and shake the S*** out of your rod tip. That heavy feeling on the end of your rod is a giant Lunker that just inhaled your jig. Don't get bogged down in this specific approach - try new retrieve methods to see what works for you with the fish.

Also remember to Set the hook (hard) - and then let the REAL FUN begin.

How much longer until bass season opens? D'oh!

Good luck - as long as you keep learning new techniques you will always have something in your tool-kit to try on days when you can't seem to get them to bite, and there are very few days when a bass won't bite a jig.

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

If you want a real good jig rod that is very affordable, look at the 13 Fishing 'omen black', 7'6" MH. It's more like a heavy power but had a great soft tip and huge backbone. I've user mine for punching 1oz+trailer and it does it well. Very sensitive especially at the roughly $120 price point!
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Thanks for all the great info. I always knew what kind of rod in regards to at least a MH rod and I do personally like to use a longer rod to flip my plastics so figured it I should probably use something around that length maybe a little longer depending on how heavy the cover is. I've read some people like yo use a shorter rod for more accurate casting. The biggest thing is just how many different types of jigs there are. I have a bunch of football head jigs and just assumed i could use them in all situations. Found out rather quickly that they aren't that great for weeds and brush they get hung up really easy imo. I will definitely be making it out to eds to have a good chat for a rod to use.

Brian
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

The strike king is good I really like the Picasso myself .. Heavier the better for punching slop . 1/2oz for trees and structure I use them on the back sides of points even better when there is a little wind but get great result ... As for colour I only had blue for years and could make it work . Definitely got me some of my bigger fish .. Caught 1 just under 6 1/2 and one largy just over 6 1/2 in the same day . Every bass guy should have 1 in the box
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by swampdonkey »

Like every technique it all falls on the body of water and the cover you're fishing, fishing a jig gives you alot of landed fish but also alot of information, been a few days where you can flip a jig without rattles and Jack jaws all day, other days they are so finicky that color and chunk options becomes a deal or no deal kind of outing! everyone has their opinions but no matter what stay away from booyah I mean I love them but their jigs are not very durable! I prefer strike king hack attack jigs, I trailer my jigs with a reaction innovations sweet beaver to switch it up! As for rods I fish with nothing but the Loomis GLX series but Gloomis has numerous series of rods that are affordable and very well built! team it up with a lews super duty and 65lb power pro super slick and you're golden
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

Semi-related question here from a beginner. I received a few football jig heads from a friend recently, the kind with no skirt. Just a painted football jig with a weedguard. I'm wondering what kind of plastics would pair well with these, and also what application they would be ideal for (i.e. shallow vs deep, cover vs open water). Thanks very much!
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by swampdonkey »

Supernova224 wrote:Semi-related question here from a beginner. I received a few football jig heads from a friend recently, the kind with no skirt. Just a painted football jig with a weedguard. I'm wondering what kind of plastics would pair well with these, and also what application they would be ideal for (i.e. shallow vs deep, cover vs open water). Thanks very much!
depends on the weight of it, creature baits as well as craw baits work well. You could even put your own skirt on if you wanted to!
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Tungsten, really is the way to go with any jig, 40 % ish ,smaller profile than lead, just for starters, and superior in every way for slop and thick weeds, imo, if you aren't one of us freaks, that has every shape and color of every lead jig ever molded, then basically , to arm yourself for deeper water and rocky bottom your footballs will work,slop is a different story, the ones with the tie off ,hidden in the weight nose, are exactly called that hidden eye jigs, or aka "brush jigs", there are spade heads and shovel nosed jigs, and bullet heads all designed to enter thick grass and mat., they are also made with varying degrees of hook eye angles, and some even look like stand up shakey jigs.,but weigh an ounce, all jigs have their place, but with a handful of tungsten punchin and flippin' weights, you can build your own rigs for every situation, from 3/8 oz on a carolina to 1 1/2 -2 oz. heavy punch rig. The big reason i use tungsten is for many reasons, the best is ,it's slim profile,the other is the ability to switch up your hooks, you can use any hook you want, and your hookup % is alot higher than a fixed hook buried in a fat lead sled of a rig. You can go without or with a skirt or rattles also,the main reason for skirts is to bulk up the presentation and try to create that wicked reaction strike , as it falls thru the mat and into the strike zone. The other conventional jig head that works well for open water and flipping under docks and tree limbs is the Arkansas jig , a very slim profile , it skips , and swims thru grass well, aka "Arkie head". Everybody has their own preference for rods/reels/line combos, when pitchin and flippin, a long rod makes life easier,Image
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Hey Brian,

I'm a little late to the party, but Nutech makes for a very interesting jig (stay upright 90% of the time, double weedguard increases hookup ratio significantly, or so they say).
Been following this company on social media (Youtube), and the reviews seem very promissing.
I do not flip jigs as much as I'd want to, but plan on trying the Nutech jig this year.

RiverMonster has ordered a few, he can probably chime in with an overview and first impressions.

https://nutechlures.com/

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

TheMaverick wrote: RiverMonster has ordered a few, he can probably chime in with an overview and first impressions.
Out of the package I like these jigs. I find they land up right about %75 of the time(no trailer or chunk), colors are nice and I think these weed guards will work better. I’ve modified the weed guards slightly cutting the tips at 45 degree. I’m curious what the hook up ratio will be like. I think they came to about $7 a jig with shipping an exchange. I wish they had an option to come with rattles. I’ll see how they do on the opener, hopefully pike will stay away
- Rick Ozga