So... What are you guys looking forward to trying this year?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: So... What are you guys looking forward to trying this y

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:
StarTzar wrote:I have added a new Dobyns (Daw-bins, Dough-bins, Dough_Been_ZZZZZ, Dogh-beans, DAWBINS) rod to my collection. :shock:
I am taking possession of a 706CB on Thursday night. 8)
Now, I have to find a reel to go with it. Something cheap as I am running out of $$$ :|
I have a 6.4:1 team gold speed spool that was used for a season that I might be willing to sell in a couple of weeks... I really want a Curado I and don't want to sell the patriarch xt...

Or just get that morum you want
How much might you be looking to get for the Lew's?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

There was a Tournament Pro forsale on Kijiji. I've had 4 people want to trade for my BB1, who trade on Kijiji? Try the American Legacy ebay page, they have some used turny pro's on there for $100
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Picked up the pencil 110's tonight. Ed brought 2 other colors in and they are pretty sweet. Looking forward to trying them out shortly!
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

lape0019 wrote:Picked up the pencil 110's tonight. Ed brought 2 other colors in and they are pretty sweet. Looking forward to trying them out shortly!
Did you notice if there were any Griffon 6CC hanging on the "wall of awesomeness" ?
Dobyns Army member
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Hey Drop,

I honestly didn't even look at the megabass stuff last night. I don't ever recall seeing the Griffon there but I have always liked the z-cranks he carries and haven't really looked for any other crankbaits from them.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:Hey Drop,

I honestly didn't even look at the megabass stuff last night. I don't ever recall seeing the Griffon there but I have always liked the z-cranks he carries and haven't really looked for any other crankbaits from them.
No Griffons on the temptation wall of glory!
I really do like the Z-Cranks, they put out so much vibration.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

got an order into Megabass, but apparently 1/2 of ir is on backorder. Not sure which side of the line the Griffons were on.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:Picked up the pencil 110's tonight. Ed brought 2 other colors in and they are pretty sweet. Looking forward to trying them out shortly!
Got my 110's today. Beautiful. 8)
Also picked up my Dobyns 706CB Trying this out tomorrow. :wink:
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

lape0019 wrote:I am truly not a fan of round reels but that right there is the only one I would ever consider purchasing.

Just downright gorgeous.

Please provide a review as to how it performs once you get her on the water.
Fished a Walleye tournament on Sunday and used this reel 70% of the time. I tried lipless, med cranks, jointed cranks, and some deep divers like the x300. The reel has lots of power and i didnt feel stressed throwing the deep divers on the black elsiel. The palmability is spectacular, the size is just as small as the old 50 but the new flat top allows you to really grip and hold the reel when a fish is on. We were smashing walleye the largest being close to 7lbs and no problems with torque, drag was very smooth. I put some HH AIR in the reel and casting was excellent, i almost spooled when throwing 1/2 oz baits. I tried some 1/4oz shallow cranks and it was fine, no problems even when casting in the wind. The larger gearbox on the handle side does NOT get in the way like my old G3 abu reels. The knobs are excellent, just like the septum knobs! very grippy. If the new CQ had a faster ratio all my casting reels would be the new conquest.

lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks for the review. It is truly a gorgeous reel.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cndbasshunter wrote:
lape0019 wrote:I am truly not a fan of round reels but that right there is the only one I would ever consider purchasing.

Just downright gorgeous.

Please provide a review as to how it performs once you get her on the water.
Fished a Walleye tournament on Sunday and used this reel 70% of the time. I tried lipless, med cranks, jointed cranks, and some deep divers like the x300. The reel has lots of power and i didnt feel stressed throwing the deep divers on the black elsiel. The palmability is spectacular, the size is just as small as the old 50 but the new flat top allows you to really grip and hold the reel when a fish is on. We were smashing walleye the largest being close to 7lbs and no problems with torque, drag was very smooth. I put some HH AIR in the reel and casting was excellent, i almost spooled when throwing 1/2 oz baits. I tried some 1/4oz shallow cranks and it was fine, no problems even when casting in the wind. The larger gearbox on the handle side does NOT get in the way like my old G3 abu reels. The knobs are excellent, just like the septum knobs! very grippy. If the new CQ had a faster ratio all my casting reels would be the new conquest.

I've been eyeballing the Morrum for a very long time now.
I'm due for a round bait-caster and the conquest is going on my list.
Definitely is the main contender right now.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

So I brought the boat up to the cottage for our annual perch tournament and brought along all of my gear. After the tournament, I decided to try a few casts off of the dock to check some stuff out.

First item tried was my Dobyns DX743c with me 8.5:1 Shimano Metanium spooled with 17lb (I think) flourocarbon. I tied on a bullet sinker with a 4/0 hook and a tube. This reel cast like a dream and is very smooth. I thought the 8.5:1 gear ratio might be a bit too much and would feel underpowered because of the ratio but I was wayyy wrong. It casts like a dream!!! The only downside I found is there is no audible click when using the SVS infinitely system on the side plate. I was still very impressed with this real and look forward to giving it a good workout come bass opener!

Next up was the Megabass Orochi XX Jerkbait Special with a Shimano Chronarch 6.2:1 CI4+ with 30lb power pro and a flourocarbon leader. I tied on one of the Duo Realis Penicl 110's and made a few casts. Now lets break this down a bit.

The rod.

After not being impressed with the 764c GL2 I was using last year, I went on a few month search for a jerkbait rod. When Dobyns brought out the champion 635cb, I thought it would be the perfect rod for my style of fishing. After checking it out at Paddletales along with the 684cb and 685cb, I decided that these rods just didn't have the backbone and tip I was looking for. And since Ed had a great deal in the jerkbait special, I thought I would pick it up and test it out. I am glad I did because even though it felt way stiffer than the Dobyns rods, it still behaved somewhat like a crankbait stick. It had enough backbone to not feel like a pool noodle yet had a soft enought tip that when fighting a fish, it did not allow the fish to throw the hook. The only downside was that my tried and true uni to uni knot from braid to flourocarbon did not pass throught the guides at all after a few casts. I guess I will have to learn a new knot.

Ed, if you are reading this, I think you may have given up on this line a little too soon. With just my experience with this 1 rod, I would easily buy another. I am however still not ready to give up on Dobyns...

The Reel
The Ci4+ also has the SVS Infinity braking system but it is a little different than the one on the Metanium. For one, it has less brake shoes that can be adjusted and the way you adjust them is also different. The Chronarch has brakes that slide out to the side instead of pull loose from the their locked position. Also, the exterior dial clicks unlike the metanium..
This reel cast just as well as the metanium and my initial impression was that it was also smoother on the retrieve than its more expensive bigger brother.. If I end up buying another of these two reels, I would lean towards the chronarch as it is substantially cheaper and has almost the same performance.

The Pencil 110.
This is the first walk the dog bait I have ever tried. After using it, I really don't know why I waited so long! This bait is so easy to work and fun to watch that I think I will be using it a lot this year! The cadence is not terribly important as the ball underneath does most of the work for you. The rattles inside are extremely loud as well so you know the fish can hear it from far away. I had a pike jump clear out of the water and miss the bait which made a believer out of me. It would have been better if he would have hit the bait, but I can live with that result. I also liked the fact that it sat upright like a frog when you leave it sit there.

All in all, I am extremely please with some of my new gear. Next up will be the compre and 735c I bought off Startzar but I already know what to expect there.

Adam
Last edited by lape0019 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

lape0019 wrote:So I brought the boat up to the cottage for our annual perch tournament and brought along all of my gear. After the tournament, I decided to try a few casts off of the dock to check some stuff out.

First item tried was my Dobyns DX743c with me 8.5:1 Shimano Metanium spooled with 17lb (I think) flourocarbon. I tied on a bullet sinker with a 4/0 hook and a tube. This reel cast like a dream and is very smooth. I thought the 8.5:1 gear ratio might be a bit too much and would feel underpowered because of the ratio but I was wayyy wrong. It casts like a dream!!! The only downside I found is there is no audible click when using the SVS infinitely system on the side plate. I was still very impressed with this real and look forward to giving it a good workout come bass opener!

Next up was the Megabass Orochi XX Jerkbait Special with a Shimano Chronarch 6.2:1 CI4+ with 30lb power pro and a flourocarbon leader. I tied on one if the Duo Realis Penicl 110's and made a few casts. Niall legs break this down a bit.

The rod.

After not being impressed with the 764c GL2 I was using last year, I went on a few month search for a jerkbait rod. When Dobyns brought out the champion 635cb, I thought it would be the perfect rod for my style of fishing. After checking it out at Paddletales along with the 684cb and 685cb, I decided that these rods just didn't have the backbone and tip I was looking for. And since Ed had a great deal in the jerkbait special, I thought I would pick it up and test it out. I am glad I did because even though it felt way stiffer than the Dobyns rods, it still behaved somewhat like a crankbait stick. It had enough backbone to not feel like a pool noodle yet had a soft enought tip that when fighting a fish, it did not allow the fish to throw the hook. The only downside was that my tried and true uni to uni knot from braid to flourocarbon did not pass throught the guides at all after a few cast. I guess I will have to learn a new knot.

Ed, if you are reading this, I think you may have given up on this line a little too soon. With just my experience with this 1 rod, I would easily buy another. I am however still not ready to give up on Dobyns...

The Reel
The Ci4+ also has the SVS Infinity braking system but it is a little different than the one on the Metanium. For one, it has less brake shoes that can be adjusted and the way you adjust them is also different. The Chronarch has brakes that slide out to the side instead of pull pull loose from the their locked position. Also, the exterior dial clicks unlike the metanium..
This reel cast just as well as the metanium and I my initial impression was that it was also smoother on the retrieve than its more expensive bigger brother.. If I end up buying another of these two reels, I would lean towards the chronarch as it is substantially cheaper and has almost the same performance.

The Pencil 110.
This is the first walk the dog bait I have ever tried. After using it, I really don't know why I waited so long! This bait is so easy to work and fun to watch that I think I will be using it a lot this year! The cadence is not terrible important as the ball underneath does most of the work for you. The rattles inside are extremely loud as well so you know the fish can hear it from far away. I had a pike jump clear out of the water and miss the bait which made a believer out of me. It would have been better if he would have it the bait, but I can live with that result. I also liked the fact that is sat upright like a frog when you leave it sit there.
The JBS is one of my favorite rods, no matter the price or brand. You'll love that stick.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I now understand why you think so highly of that rod and lineup! It is truly unlike anything I have ever fished and makes me want a few more.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:So I brought the boat up to the cottage for our annual perch tournament and brought along all of my gear. After the tournament, I decided to try a few casts off of the dock to check some stuff out.

Next up was the Megabass Orochi XX Jerkbait Special with a Shimano Chronarch 6.2:1 CI4+ with 30lb power pro and a flourocarbon leader. I tied on one of the Duo Realis Penicl 110's and made a few casts. Now lets break this down a bit.

The rod.

After not being impressed with the 764c GL2 I was using last year, I went on a few month search for a jerkbait rod. When Dobyns brought out the champion 635cb, I thought it would be the perfect rod for my style of fishing. After checking it out at Paddletales along with the 684cb and 685cb, I decided that these rods just didn't have the backbone and tip I was looking for. And since Ed had a great deal in the jerkbait special, I thought I would pick it up and test it out. I am glad I did because even though it felt way stiffer than the Dobyns rods, it still behaved somewhat like a crankbait stick. It had enough backbone to not feel like a pool noodle yet had a soft enought tip that when fighting a fish, it did not allow the fish to throw the hook. The only downside was that my tried and true uni to uni knot from braid to flourocarbon did not pass throught the guides at all after a few casts. I guess I will have to learn a new knot.

The Reel
The Ci4+ also has the SVS Infinity braking system but it is a little different than the one on the Metanium. For one, it has less brake shoes that can be adjusted and the way you adjust them is also different. The Chronarch has brakes that slide out to the side instead of pull loose from the their locked position. Also, the exterior dial clicks unlike the metanium..
This reel cast just as well as the metanium and my initial impression was that it was also smoother on the retrieve than its more expensive bigger brother.. If I end up buying another of these two reels, I would lean towards the chronarch as it is substantially cheaper and has almost the same performance.

The Pencil 110.
This is the first walk the dog bait I have ever tried. After using it, I really don't know why I waited so long! This bait is so easy to work and fun to watch that I think I will be using it a lot this year! The cadence is not terribly important as the ball underneath does most of the work for you. The rattles inside are extremely loud as well so you know the fish can hear it from far away. I had a pike jump clear out of the water and miss the bait which made a believer out of me. It would have been better if he would have hit the bait, but I can live with that result. I also liked the fact that it sat upright like a frog when you leave it sit there.

All in all, I am extremely please with some of my new gear. Next up will be the compre and 735c I bought off Startzar but I already know what to expect there.

Adam
Great write up!

Although I've ran into a few issues with the XX line up (first gen, they've since been revised, different hook keeper placement and blank texture) they keep growing on me!
Love the JBS even more so the FSS.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!