So... What are you guys looking forward to trying this year?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: So... What are you guys looking forward to trying this y

Post by lape0019 »

biggs wrote:Looking forward to throwing these.
Talk about variety! I would be having fun with those as well!

What are the square bill crankbaits at the top in the middle? They look pretty sweet!
cndbasshunter wrote:I was skeptical at first but this stuff really works. MEND-It...

Looks like she holds up pretty good. I may have to try this stuff. It looks like it would extend the life of any bait for a few more fish anyway...
tbone1088 wrote:I'm looking forward to trying out the new strike king red eye colors for walleye opener. They are also coming out with a new chatterbait that looks promising. Also looking to buy another rod reel combo, hoping to buy the quantum smoke combo if my money holds up :) Heres to hoping for some warm weather so we might get a crack at open water eyes before april... fingers crossed!
Chatterbaits are fun to use. I tried them a bit last year and will be adding a few more to my arsenal. Unfortunately, I ended up wacky rigging most of last year so I plan on trying this a bit more for the upcoming year (Maybe another use for my DX743 :lol: )
lvace wrote:savage gear soft and hard 4play stuff https://www.savagegear-usa.com/
This stuff looks promising as well!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

open water
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:When you had the 852 in your hand when I picked up the 735, I got worried. I was glad to see you replaced it and I hope the 746 treats you well.

And if It doesn't, you aren't getting the 735 back anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
Adam,

We had a deal and there is absolutely no way that I would not have sold you the 735. :shock:
I will post such a good review on the 746 that you will want to sell the 735 and upgrade to the 746. :wink:

Then again, that 735 that you have, will be the best rod you ever acquired; and do you know why? :|

Because it was anointed by me. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cndbasshunter wrote:I was playing with the new 635CB and it should be a fun stick for the smaller jerkbaits. I really like the NRX852, one of the best spinning rods available.
Everything I read on the NRX 852C has all been positive and most say just like you that it is their favorite and best Loomis rod.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the NRX sensitivity compares to that of the dobyns DX.

I am looking forward to trying out the 635CB. I throw mostly 1/2oz jerkbaits so it should be fine.
I had originally purchased the 634CB, but after reading the review posted on TT by civicrr, I exchanged it for the 635CB.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

StarTzar wrote: Then again, that 735 that you have, will be the best rod you ever acquired; and do you know why? :|

Because it was anointed by me. 8)
:lol: :lol: Yeah, we will have to see what that Renegade bass slime does, but I am not holding my breath... And I read the review you are talking about. I think you probably made a good choice upgrading to the 635CB as well. took a look at both of those rods before buying the jerkbait special and they look great. They just didn't have the action I was looking for. The tip on both was just too soft for me. But I guess this just ties into that there are two different camps when it comes to jerkbait rods.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

My Chronarch CI4+ and Crucial crankbait rod.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

New for me this year will be:

Megabass Pop Max
Megabass Deep Six
Megabass Knuckle 60
Lucky Craft Flat CB Deep 20
Lucky Craft SKT Magnum 110 Mag MR

I have ordered custom wrapped DX742SF and 805Flip/Punch rods from Ed.
Ci4 2500
As soon as I have a conversation with Ed I will also have a Humminbird 800 series depth finder.

Drop
Dobyns Army member
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

DropShot’r wrote:New for me this year will be:

Drop

Whats a custom wrapped DX742SF???
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Megabass Pop Max
Megabass Deep Six
Megabass Knuckle 60

Ci4 2500
As soon as I have a conversation with Ed I will also have a Humminbird 800 series depth finder.

Drop
Steve,

What is a custom wrapped rod?
The Ci4 2500 is a fantastic reel.

Not too many people like to crank deep.
The mag SKT is very interesting.
A short bill on a deep crank. I'll have to try those out.

You will really enjoy the 800 series depth finder.
We got the 858Combo with Down Imaging last year and it works excellent for us.
Could never be without a GPS and hotmaps anymore.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Megabass Pop Max
Megabass Deep Six
Megabass Knuckle 60

Ci4 2500

Drop
I have read on other forums that Dobyns will make changes to where there hook keepers are and such if you ask. I am anxious to hear if this is what you got done or not.

You also have a few Megabass lures I wouldn't mind trying. I have a popmax jr and really like the way it moves. I barely fished it last year though... I might grab a knuckle 60 as well because they just look awesome!
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

CN wrote: Whats a custom wrapped DX742SF???
StarTzar wrote: Steve,

What is a custom wrapped rod?

LOL!!!! Wondered who would catch that....

I have a serious love affair with Dobyns Rods....not so much with Dobyns hook holders.

So far I have been able to live with closed hook holders on my Dobyns rods. I draw the line at flip rods, punch rods and dropshot rods. I want an open style hook holder on those rods, end of conversation. So with that in mind I sent a letter to Dobyns Rods asking what chance I had at getting a rod wrapped with an open hook holder. In less than a day I had an answer from Richard Dobyns. NO PROBLEM!!!! Just give Ed the order and they will wrap a rod for me. So I decided to order my 805Flip/Punch rod at the same time and have an open style hook holder put on that rod too. No dropshot weight dangling loose getting tangled in other rods laying on the deck and banging into that beautiful blank.

Cool, eh?
:banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock:

Steve
Dobyns Army member
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Hi All,
Wow lots of great information and alot of people looking forward to spring. I feel like we have been living in an ice age this winter :cry: . I am looking forward to trying some new techniques this season. Mostly plastics. Dropshotting, Wacky Rigs, Artifical Frogs and all of that stuff. I do get to fish a lot, but I feel my plastics knowledge weaker that it should be. For that reason it is something I am going to work on this year.
Thanks and good luck with your new endeavours.
;) Dave
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

StarTzar wrote:I added a Revo MGX and a Lew's Team Gold.
I already own a Revo MGX and a Team Lew's Pro so I know what to expect.
Frank,
Darn....was kinda hoping to hear you added a Morrum ZX to the arsenal. Then I could get some first hand info on the reel. Sure think that reel would trick-out a 764CB RM :wink:

It was a tough decision for the spinning reel. I was torn between the Revo Premier and the Ci4. Truth be told I had the Revo first on my shopping list I gave Ed, but scratched it out standing in line after my eye caught the Ci4 in the display case :confusion-shrug:

I have an old Eagle depth finder on the back of the boat now, so the new 'bird will be a game changer for me.

Steve
Dobyns Army member
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Troller,

I have the opposite problem. I started fishing Bass with plastics and find it is my go to when things get tough. For wacky rigging, I suggest you try the Power Team Lures Sick Stix. I liked them so much last her that I bought a custom Plano case filled with my favorite colors off of their webpage. Actually, come to think of it, I provided what I wanted to my wife and she ordered it for me for Xmas. Pair them with a 1/16oz wacky hook and you are good to go.

Drop,
You made a wise choice with the Stradic. I have no complaints with my original ci4 and with the more ridged body of the ci4+, I can't see you having any issues...

Adam.
NTouhey
Participant
Participant

Post by NTouhey »

I'm looking forward to landing some lake champlain bass on the Revo Rockets and MGX extremes. Awesome reels.

Nigel