Back from Quinte...with Jig'n'Pig!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Back from Quinte...with Jig'n'Pig!

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Ok so we’re back :!: Jig’n’Pig and I managed to get out for a few hours on Thursday at Quinte. What would a fishing trip be without a little excitement :!: :roll: We pull away from the launch, and I happen to mention to Bryan (JnP) that the boat seemed sluggish. Well a quick look behind us and he saw water appearing through the floor boards of the boat. You guessed it forgot to put the plug in :oops: .

I take full responsibility for that one. A little rusty after no boat for 5 months. Anyway, Bryan proceeds to reach over the back and plug the hole temporarily so we can get back to the launch. He went in up to his shoulder…What a sacrifice :!: :D

Well after returning to the launch, we managed to get her drained and off we went…again :!: We trolled out from the pumphouse using various lures including Rebel Fast Tracks, orange in color. There were no takers.

We proceeded to the Ferry, for the benefit of 2 rods per person. Wind wasn’t too bad, and there were in fact a few boats out. We decided to troll the North shore, kind of, were more to centre than actually along shore but you know what I mean.

Well about an hour into it…whack, fish on :!: ..that’s when I pulled in this nice 5 pounder.
A quick photo and away it went. It hit a Mann’s Yellow Perch.

A short time later another rod gets a hit, Bryan hauls in his very first double digit Walleye.
This 11 pound beauty I can tell you made his day, and mine to be honest. I love when people come out with you and do well. Again, a Yellow Perch was the key.

Anyway we figured we were in for a decent day. A short time later,the drag on my noodle rod is just peeeeeeeling, fish on :!: Jump out of the drivers seat to set the hook. Damn, drag was too loose…Score one for the fish :!:

As it turns out, that would be it for the action for the day.

Well as it turns out. I headed to Toronto to take care of my business issues. I mentioned to Bryan I might be able to get away a day early and that if I did, we could head out again Saturday. Well as good fortune would have it, I was back in Picton at Tip of the Bay for about 8:00 PM with the boat. Thanks to Dan Elliot of the Quinte fishing board who allowed me to leave my boat at his place for the day. Again, a gesture greatly appreciated.

So Bryan and I head out Saturday. This time we zipped out to the Ferry. We started trolling east again and within ½ hr to 45 minutes, bang, fish on :!: Bryan hauls in a nice 7 pounder. We literally didn’t have time to photo the fish when bang again, fish on :!: That’s when I hauled in this beauty 10.5 pounder.
Now that was a blast, on my noodle rod :!: Both these were on the Yellow Perch again and came off the long lines. Although mine on the noodle rod had 2 bullet sinkers about 25 ft in front of the Mann’s.

About an hour later bang, fish on again, this time on a planer board, so I grab the rod and start reeling, I’m reeling it in and as the board nears the boat, Bryan grabs it to remove the board, “snap” goes the line, but we’re alright, he still has the line in the second clip. So I grab the line and start hand lining the fish. Well it takes a few minutes but I get her to the boat, what a beauty Hen that was, 10-ish+ for sure. Well the line snaps again, just as it’s at the back of the boat. Score another for the fish.

After the excitement we’d gone through we figured we were in for a great day! Well, they shut down for us after that. It dawns on us that this has happened both days in a row. A quick check of the VHF shows Roughrider is having a great day with Big-O. As well Eye-Tracker was doing ok, they just nailed a double header as we were pulling up stakes.

It appears they were using darker baits for the afternoon bite. Oh well, we’ll get ‘em next time! But remember..Yellow Perch for the early bite :!:

So our two trips looked like this. Final tally 4 fish in the boat and 2 break-offs. It was pretty good.

As for the other boats, they were doing pretty well from what we could hear occasionally.
Hoss, Fishforfun and GreyMist nailed a couple. They’ll file their details, if they haven’t already I’m sure.

Gotta get back at least once more…Hmmmmm :!: :wink:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Awesome report WIG and Congrates Jig N Pig!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hey boys. I do love those big double digit wally pictures.

Have to admit I got a chuckle over the boat plug escapade, but I'm glad you rallied and had some fun & success! :lol:

Nice report, WIG. Thx.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Nice work WIG, I'm glad the boat trouble worked out for you guys. Quinte is still prime water for those giants, they should be moving in to Picton soon I would think. Let me know when you need another partner.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

Looks like you had a great trip. I am still thinking of going for one more weekend but time is running out and I am not sure I will have the time to make it. If not I have the Muskie Mansion at Merland's is booked for the first weekend of May. It is going to be a long winter!!!
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

WTG guys! Sounds like an awesome trip!
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hoss »

Good Job Guys. Too bad the hand lining thing didn't have a happier ending. Thanks for sharing the info with us while we were out there. Hope to see you out there again :D
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Way to go WIG, great report, i was looking for you ....but was looking for a boat with the top up :oops: ...we were so close to each other, oh well next time!!!!!!Last year at this time , when John and I were up, there was not one boat fishing the reach :shock: Saturday i guess there was twenty plus boats out all working the same water....Late fall combat fishing :x , just goes to show how many people are reading the Info from this board, Eyetracker was the first to report that there hugh numbers of large fish in the reach......Amazing :shock:
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

big-o wrote:Late fall combat fishing :x , just goes to show how many people are reading the Info from this board, Eyetracker was the first to report that there hugh numbers of large fish in the reach......Amazing :shock:
The boats where all the way out to the Gap in Bath on Saturday afternoon, I counted about 12 boats fishing the same water...that is about 18km east of the Ferry in Glenora :wink:
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
JIGNPIG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JIGNPIG »

I would like to thank WIG for giving me the opportunity to get out for some awsome fall Bay of Quinte action, It was great to finally get my first double digit walleye in the boat you wonder how someone who lives here locally doesn't live out there on the water I guess I will chalk it up to insanity and the fact my boat really isn't set up for cold weather trolling.

One again thanks WIG for a great two days of fishing

Also It was great to get a chance to talk to Hoss, MT, Eye Tracker, FFF, Greymist, and Big O

Bryan
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Excellent stuff WIG & Jig & Pig!

Great to see the guys out there pulling in the quality eyes.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"