BOQ Quinte Weekend Report

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

BOQ Quinte Weekend Report

Post by nighttroller »

I just got back from my annual trip to BOQ with Probassing and PENG. The past couple of years have been really good to us but this spring we had our worst in years and didn't know what to expect. We left Merland's at about 7:00 am Friday and were greeted with a brisk east wind and a good chop. After using Peng as a human sheild from the wind and occassional splash of water we started setting up the planner boards and were fishing by 7:45. We trolled for some time with nothing, and the wind continued to pick up. We strating to think the wind had the fish turned off but at 8:50 we nailed our first fish. The morning was a blur after that with several really good fish. I had a 14.3 lber and a 13.5 lber, and Probassing nailed a personal best 12.5 lber. We had about 2 hours without a fish but after adjusting colors and depths we got onto a few more good schools of fish. The highlight of the afternoon was Peng with a fish peeling off the line. We thought it was going to spool him but when he was down to his mono backing he was able to get enough line back and finally land a 16 lb + Sheepshead. Man can those things fight! We fished until about 6:30 pm landing a bunch more walleye. Final count was 22 Walleye and 2 sheepshead. Hot colors and lures varied throughout the day but Silver/black, silver/blue and perch were the hottest. Day 2 we left the dock at about 7:15, were greeted by nice flat waters, and were fishing by 8:00. We had two walleye in the boat by 8:12 and we thought this was going to be another incredible day. Then the wind kicked up (from the east again) and the we didn't get a hit for about an hour. We managed to get on another school and had 9 fish by noon. The bite really died off for a few hours in the middle of the day but the last few hours finished with a flurry and we managed 18 walleye, the biggest just over 11 lbs. Hot colors were silver/blue and silver black. Today, we left the dock just before 7:00 and were fishing by 7:30. Another wet, bumpy ride out and a really ugly looking morning. Our first two days were unbelievable and we were hoping we could get back on the schools again today and the Bay did not dissapoint. We picked off a steady stream all day with for the most part smaller walleye then we had been catching until Probassing announced he had a big one on. Last year I caught a 16.6 lber and I was confident this fish would stand for a long time but as Peng netted the fish, all I heard was woooo what a hog!!! I looked to the back of the boat and saw a really thick fish! We placed her in the weighing bag and put the scale on her... now this argument is going to go on for years but after watching the scale bounce from 16.2 to 17, we called it as it settled at 16.6 lbs, a tie! Soon after that Peng banged a personal best 13.1. We fished until 4:00 today and boated 19 walleye and 3 sheephead. Sorry for the long post but this was an incredible trip and I am still pumped!!! Pics to follow.
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

great trip!!!!!!

what areas were you fishing?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nighttroller!

That is outstanding!

Get those pics up... :wink:

RJ
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Night troller......... AWSOME 59 WALLEYE, how far back from the boards were you????? can't wait to see the Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Awesome read!

It got me excited for you...

You have got to love the BOQ.

Carlco
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Sounds like a reciepe for sore arms! Great report fellas, I can't wait to see a couple pic's. :P Awesome.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Great report guys!

If you were at Merland's I take it you fished Picton Bay or did you head to the Reach? Wherever you went, worked out well :!:
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

WIG,

We were fishing the reach, I like to get the extra rods out. Another group that was with us fished the ferry and cement plant area and did quite well. The fish are definately on the move! I talked to guys who fished Picton Bay and they did well at first lightbut nothing in the day. I also saw a lot of guys fishing it at night but I am not sure how they did. We were pretty tired, so for the first time ever, we didn't go out at night. I might have to change my handle!!!
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Wow...That is all I have to say after the weekend that Peng, Nighttroller and I had on Quinte.

Here is the collection of photos from the weekend. These are all the fish over 11 lbs. There was a couple of 10 lbers we didn't take photos of.

Enjoy the pics!

A small 10 lber...

Another 10 lber....

A heathy 11 lber...

A solid 11 lber...

A formal personal best for myself. A nice 12.5 lber

A personal best for Peng. A 13.1 lber...

Another formal personal best for myself. A 13.2 lber...

Nighttroller's 3rd biggest Walleye ever. A 13.5 lber...

Nighttroller' s 2nd bigger Walleye ever. A 14.3 lber...

Peng's biggest Sheepshead...A 16+ lb Freshwater drum. This fish bottomed out the 15 lb scale flashing 15 lb 14 oz and then OF.

Last year, in the end of October Nighttroller caught a 16.6 lber. We all thought that mark would be hard to beat or even match. Well, a year later we did. A 16.6 lber which is now my personal best.

A day trip in November might be in order.

Peng and Nighttroller, it was an awesone weekend in every aspect.

Cheers,

Mike
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

:shock: :shock:

That 16 pounder is huge! Awesome!

Pumpkin Fest on the Bay! :lol: Great photo's guys. :wink:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Now I have to get down for another trip :!: At least a day trip :!:

Great photos :!:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Quality and quantity!! Nice fish guys!
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Looks like an incredible time!!
Nice fish!!!!!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Outstanding pics guys!! That sheepshead is a MONSTER! So are the walleye, of course!! Sounds like it was a great time!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
ken & Jo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ken & Jo »

Awesome job guys. I'll be up this weekend to give 'er a go. Hope to have 1/10th of your luck!

cheers
Ken