Dad's Hogs Back Muskie - Pat Huard

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dad's Hogs Back Muskie - Pat Huard

Post by Fishhawk »

Pat sent me this picture and a little story - I thought it was way cool...he said...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is story told to me by my father (who passed away in 1988) when I was a young boy and unfortunately I cannot remember all the details. However, in the summer of 1958 my father was fishing for walleye (pickerel to them in those days) at the base of the Hogs Back Falls on the Rideau River, in Ottawa, ON. A young boy told him that there was a "really big" fish in a pool just down stream from the falls. My father went with him to check the fish out and noticed that it was a monster muskie or at least the biggest he had ever seen. He tossed a lure at it not expecting the fish to take. The muskie hit the lure and for the next few minutes the water was on fire. He landed the fish and was approached by photographer (Newton) for the Ottawa Citizen (a local newspaper) who also had been fishing for walleye and had seen the fight. He asked if he could take his picture and put it into the paper. My father had decided that this was a fish of a lifetime and wanted to get it mounted. The next day he went to the local taxidermist and learned that it would cost $100. (Remember this is 1958). After being revived and picking himself off the floor, he decided that the best course of action for the fish would be to include it in a three-course meal. Now for those you, who are shocked, don't forget that times were different then. The train of thought at that time was let the little guys grow and keep the big ones. Nice to see that we reassessed our catch and release practices.
Last edited by Fishhawk on Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Nice story Hawk, nice pic too, the look on your dad's face is priceless. My dad wanted to get a Muskie in the worst way. He and his crew fished the St. Larry from the early 60's till the early nineties. My dad's beat friend pulled up a trophy Muskie in the late 60's, had it mounted, and it's still in his former office. Meanwhile my dad had no luck. One day while on a family trip in the 70's, my dad is fishing off a dock to try out a new lure when, you guessed it, wham! It wasn't a trophy, but I still remember the smile on his face! He told that story til the day he died, I think that one fish made him the happiest. I guess ya never know what will happen when you get your line wet!!
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

BigJoe2 wrote:Nice story Hawk, nice pic too, the look on your dad's face is priceless. My dad wanted to get a Muskie in the worst way. He and his crew fished the St. Larry from the early 60's till the early nineties. My dad's beat friend pulled up a trophy Muskie in the late 60's, had it mounted, and it's still in his former office. Meanwhile my dad had no luck. One day while on a family trip in the 70's, my dad is fishing off a dock to try out a new lure when, you guessed it, wham! It wasn't a trophy, but I still remember the smile on his face! He told that story til the day he died, I think that one fish made him the happiest. I guess ya never know what will happen when you get your line wet!!
Uhhhh, Joe, that's not my dad - that is Pat Huard's dad, a guy who sent me the picture last week. I guess I didn't make that clear. Stand by, I'll fix it.
Fishhawk
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Doe! :oops: :lol:
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

BigJoe2 wrote:Doe! :oops: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fishhawk
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

thats is a cool story,,,,,,,,,,,

nice picture,,,,,,,and a very nice musky,,,,,,,,,

its so long but very thin,,,,,,thanks for this,,,,

keep those old story coming in,,,,,

joco :P
Walleye Freak
Participant
Participant

Post by Walleye Freak »

Hey guys I haven't been on here in a while. That is my dad in the picture, I'm glad you kept it on the sight. I lost my electronic version and the original is sitting in Winterpeg with my brother. I downloaded it to my computer will get it printed off.

I was out one morning on the Rideau last Fall fishing for walleye when a big old musky hammered my worm harness. He came out of the water on his tail and I thought that's it, he’ll slice through my harness like a knife through butter and I’ll lose him. I didn't (Must be the 20lb salmon line I use for my harnesses) I fought him for about 20 minutes before I brought him in. What a heart stopper. Every musky I've caught was on harness fishing slowly for walleye. Whenever I go after musky I get skunked, I guess the trick is to tell the mushy that I'm fishing for walleye. By the way this was sent back.

I love old fish stories and encourage all to add any they have with their dads or moms.[quote][/quote]
Walleye Freak
Participant
Participant

Post by Walleye Freak »

Walleye Freak wrote:Hey guys I haven't been on here in a while. That is my dad in the picture, I'm glad you kept it on the sight. I lost my electronic version and the original is sitting in Winterpeg with my brother. I downloaded it to my computer will get it printed off.

I was out one morning on the Rideau last Fall fishing for walleye when a big old musky hammered my worm harness. He came out of the water on his tail and I thought that's it, he’ll slice through my harness like a knife through butter and I’ll lose him. I didn't (Must be the 20lb salmon line I use for my harnesses) I fought him for about 20 minutes before I brought him in. What a heart stopper. Every musky I've caught was on harness fishing slowly for walleye. Whenever I go after musky I get skunked, I guess the trick is to tell the mushy that I'm fishing for walleye. By the way this was sent back.

I love old fish stories and encourage all to add any they have with their dads or moms.
If it's nice enough to golf...... You should be fishing!
Walleye Freak
Participant
Participant

Post by Walleye Freak »

Sorry for the duplication. I was messing around and added it again. I should have my son handle the It equipment in the house. What does this button do? Boom! Gotta have a sense of humour.
If it's nice enough to golf...... You should be fishing!
andee
Participant
Participant

Great Story

Post by andee »

:wink: I was looking at the picture and couldn't help smile, I have been after muskie since the first day I wetted a line (adult years that is) I have had no success catching one. I have fished out of Vincey Massey park which is just a little down from where your dad caught his and had no luck at all, basically watched small rock bass eat cray fish around my feet for an entire day, but it sure beats working. One day I was at Black Falls off of hwy16 and was finished for the day and by mistake flipped my bale open and my lure dropped into the calm water damn, I let it sit there for a second so I could but all my gear down and then looked over the railing to see where my lure was and the damnest thing a monster muskie came up under it like 'JAWS' and I freaked out , yanked the line clear out of the water and right over my head, this thing was huge and scared me into wanting to try and catch one, guess I would have felt what it's like to fight one if I left my lure in the water, but man-o they are a hard fish to find, well for a shore fisher like me anyways. Take Care...thanks for your story.