St. Lawrence Carpin' June 19th with Canadian Bacon

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

St. Lawrence Carpin' June 19th with Canadian Bacon

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Wow :D !!

Another great day out carp fishing and this time Canadian Bacon joined me. What can i say, another fantastic result of big fish and perhaps a story too long to tell considering the number of fish we had on the rods.

Bacon arrives at my place at 6:20am and after a short drive we're on the st. lawrence, the rods are out and baited up for 7:20am.

I decided the best place to start was the area topwater and i fished last week as there could be larger numbers in the area getting ready for the main spawn. We saw a few fish spawning in the weeds far to our right but the main spawn still didn't seem to be in full flow.

Basically whenever i take anyone out they get the first fish then we take it in turns. If you lose two fish in succession then the other person takes the next one.. It seems fair and everyone catches something.

So here's the results with some great pictures below each entry: (As you can see we had a lot of action and a very nice average size for the day.)

1] 7:40am 22 lb 4oz (Bacon)

2] 8:00am Lost fish (John)

3] 8:15am 20 lb (John)

4] 8:35am 20 lb 4oz (Bacon)

5] 8:40am 22 lb (John)

6] 9:10am Lost fish (Bacon)

7] 9:30am Lost fish (Bacon)

8] 9:45am Lost Fish (John)

9] 9:48am 11 lb (Bacon)

10] 10:05am 21 lb 4oz (John)

11] 10:20am Lost fish (Bacon)

12] 11:00am 22 lb (Bacon)

13] 11:10am 22 lb (John)

14] 11:30am 25 lb 8oz (Bacon)

15] 12:20pm 19 lb (John)

16] 12:40pm Lost fish (Bacon)

17] 12:50pm Lost fish (Bacon)

18] 1:00pm 14 lb (John)

19] 1:15pm Lost fish (Bacon)

20] 1:35pm 15 lb (Bacon)

21] 1:50pm 34 lb (John)

22] 2:25pm Lost fish (Bacon)

23] 3:00pm Lost Fish (Bacon)

24] 3:45pm 14 lb (John)

25] 4:25pm 11 lb (Bacon)

26] 4:45pm Lost fish (John)

27] 5:20pm 21 lb (John)

Here's an action shot of bacon although i'm not sure which fish he had on or if it made it to the net. As you can see on more than one occasion we had an audiance :lol: :lol:

We were a little unlucky as a few of the fish were being lightly hooked and came off a little too easily... Also we had some thick weedbeds to contend with and we lost a couple in trying to get them out of the weed. My 34lber actually went through 3 weedbeds and i was very lucky to get that one to the net.

Total for the day:

27 - Runs (Fish on)
16 - Fish Landed
1 - Over 30lbs
9 - 20's
9 Fish for John
7 Fish for Bacon
Average size 18lbs 4oz
Total weight 294 lbs 4oz

The look on Bacons face after a great day carp fishing.. Priceless :D :D

I forgot to mention how strong the winds were 40+km/h and how i mentioned to bacon how fishing from the shore has it's advantages.

I had a lot of running around to do as we were fishing about 12ft above the water on a steep bank so every fish we caught had to be carried up.. Well atleast i didn't fall in although there were one or two close calls :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by SkeeterJohn on Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey John/Bacon..................Holy Carp...... wow...what a day you guys had :shock: very ,very impressive :D that 40lbs is not to far off John....congrats on a great day :D :!: :!:
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Pesronaly, I can"t belive it. That is some ausome fishing.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Outstanding!...Nice work boys!....Looks like Johnny ol chap has surely adapted his overseas carpin' to our waters... :lol:

John, I know how you say about people seeing big fish in the Ottawa river...and kinda roll your eyes...but I saw one the other night fishing with MuskyMagnet for gar that had to be 4 feet long...and fat....pstt...I know where it is... :wink:

RJ
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

YES

Post by jazman »

Nice one guys...john the 34 has a great gut on her....

Well Mr Bacon, the rush is there, it feels so good. I had a slow day and am hooked for life, I can just imagine.

How much fun is that screamin reel when it peels off 50 feet of line?

a beautiful thing.

John, you have exposed so many people to these incredible fish..... good on you.

Jaz
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

Outstanding day...I have never seen anything like that before

congrats
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

Awright guys way to go :D :D :D Bacon I happen to know of a few places you can buy carping supplies :wink: :wink: along with a list of what you need to get you started :roll: :roll: hopefully my gear will be in early this week :lol: and I can get out over my holidays for some of that action.
John you got to break that 36 lb mark yet :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

RJ wrote:John, I know how you say about people seeing big fish in the Ottawa river...and kinda roll your eyes...but I saw one the other night fishing with MuskyMagnet for gar that had to be 4 feet long...and fat....pstt...I know where it is... :wink:
With the ottawa i'd have to believe there'd be something huge in there... for some of the smaller rivers i certainly roll my eyes a little as i can't see them growing much over 20.. perhaps with the odd one being bigger but not many.

Our average size was amazing today althoguh a few smaller fish after midday brought it down. Our first 4 fish went over 20lbs and the runs came think and fast every 15 minutes or so.. heck we almost didn't recast as we needed a quick break. :lol:

Post by Guest »

If you are ever looking for someone to fish with please let me know!
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Unbelievable!! Great fishing trip you guys had there! WOW! 34lbs! Thats amazing! :shock: Way to go, nice to see your smiling faces with those beautiful carp!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

That 34lb carp looks awesome! So do the rest. Absolutlely stunning photos. Way to go lads!!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

SWEET!!!
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

It was the best of times....IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You read the whole story from John...but let me tall ya, for those of you who are like me and thought Carp was just a big ugly fish that ya didn't give a second thought to.....Well change that way of thinking!!
It's quite the setup to get ready...John had it all done in 5 minutes....the bait was throw and we waited...listening to his sensors. Well we didn't wait long....John handed me the rod and oh my god!!! The pull was incredible...this fish ran and ran and ran. Finally when he stopped I started to bring (her actually) in. Lots of work and I must say this fish had the best fight I can remember. Even better than last seasons Musky! John talked me through exactly what to do and how to play the fish and as you can see I landed a 22 pounder!! Well the day continued and almost none stop the fish hit, John sure knows how to findem. WE had a couple double headers..three actually...very exciting!
One thing I really want to point out about this trip.
John..thank you very much!!! John makes it feel like you’re in his house! He was very courteous and really did all the work! Netted all the fish and that meant up and down that bank many many times and that bank was treacherous! He weighed and recorded all the weights so we could tell ya all what we got!! He is a gentleman holds excellent conversation and a great host and I appreciated every second of it!!! Thanks again John for one of my best fishing days ever!!!
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

John, you're a credit to fishermen everywhere. Way to go man. One day I'll get out to do some carpin too, and perhaps get some pointers from the master.

Bacon, great job pal. It must have been the time of your life. Are you hooked now? (no pun intended)

This is what it's all about.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Absolutely awesome day guys! I too will have to get out one day with you John :!: Especially since I'm grounded nowadays :!: :wink:

PLEEEEEASE!!!!!

:lol: :lol: