Westmeath Adventure Weekend Reports & Pictures

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Marcus Wrote:
...just another benifit of fishing with power rope

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Thanks to everyone involved in the weekend for making it a lot of fun.
A big thanks to Hoss, who I fished with over the weekend. We weren't able to catch anything real big, but we sure had fun trying.
Going for walleye near the sandbar.
Here's Hoss with an average size pike we seemed to get for the weekend.
And a scrappy catfish on a rapala :shock:
I had a blast and enjoyed talking to everyone :D
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rider23 »

Misses Livewell wrote:Was anybody able to identify Joey's "Mystery Fish"?

d

We think it was a creek chub on steroids :shock:
Misses Livewell
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Misses Livewell »

Rider wrote:
Misses Livewell wrote:Was anybody able to identify Joey's "Mystery Fish"?

d

We think it was a creek chub on steroids :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: made me laugh out loud! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

If you don't know Hoss, his pics can be decieving...I'm guessing that's a 40 inch Pike he's holding. :lol:
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Wow! Those were all caught on the Ottawa River? Time for me to move. :shock:

What does a house go for in the Hull and Ottawa area. :)

I definately have to head up there for a week or two.......
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rider23 »

Markus wrote:If you don't know Hoss, his pics can be decieving...I'm guessing that's a 40 inch Pike he's holding. :lol:
Your right Markus, Hoss is defiantly one of the guys you want with you if you happen to get into a little dispute at a bar :wink: I asked Vince to squeeze his head when we first met him so I could match the avatar to the face :lol: :lol:
Hoover
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoover »

Wow awsome trip looks like i missed out! HOpe too see you down here for the Longpoint fish hawk! Put your name in for a seat ! lol

nice fish guys and gurls!

wish i was there!
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Awesome outing.

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Awesome outing, looks like a big group and lots of fun. Great pics all, hope i can make it to one outing soon. 8)
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Westmeath

Post by Legend »

:) Fantastic!

The organizers and the caterers did a great job this weekend... Thanks!

The trip up was a dandy. We met up with Skooter, Salmon and Dean and Hoss for the journey. The convoy was fun but I think next time Skooter should take P2. He only found the gas pedal at the base of a hill. :? With a Saturn towing a boat, I felt like I'd just done a Grand Prix by the time we made it up highway 41. (Scenic and very hilly) Anyway, around lunch time we arrive! :D

The First Day:

I head out with Topwater on my shakedown cruise of the year. The Battleship has had some mods done over winter and I needed to see the engine running again... We decide to check out a few likely spots and after a quick conversation with Nighttroller and Bucketmouth we found a shoal at the base of a moderate current. Even though the winds were keeping the creases out of the flags, a la Jordan Harbour, believe it or not we got fish here, Catfish, Perch.

Oh yes, and Topwater gets introduced to a Carp fisherman's hook set. :shock:

Later that evening it was fellowship and alcohol and we met Mr. J for the first time. :!:

The Second Day:

After a restful slumber (No Steve-G yet :twisted: ) I rise early for the Pike - Pickerel opener. MT was scraping the frost off the VIP and was gracious enough to allow me to accompany him and RUK to a secluded spot up river. :D I actually saw MT catch a fish, then one after another MT and RUK start hammering the OOS Smallies (One was quite big!)
Ethically, I couldn't join them in the Smalliefest :roll: so nothing in the boat for me but I did hook into a large fish that broke me off in about 4 seconds. :shock:

Back at the dock, I meet Topwater who clearly wanted to atone for the previous days effort. We trolled around a few choice sandbars and hit a couple of sledge-hammer handles. And then found a nice shallow bay where we tried to cast into a few spots... Rien, Nada, Zilch! So we head back to the place we tried yesterday.

Success! :P We hit the jackpot... Good consistent Catfish and Topwater's Mooneye!

Notice the bottom lip job on the Mooneye... (Hope you're feeling better :lol: ) We too picked up a few Clams!

Anyway, back at the dock Mr. J and Skooter are fishing/drinking and someone tells us that they are slaying them. :shock: So we visit the lads on the dock to see whats going on. Sure enough, one after another they are hauling in the Cats, and that's when it happened. :!: Mr. J is non chalantly bringing in another fish when... Bingo! It's a Nice Pike! We all scramble looking for a net, ET grabs one and badda-bing! Mr. J is in heaven. While trying to take the hook out of the beast it becomes apparent that the fish could conceivably slip back into the water. Mr, J is ready to throw his body on it as if it was a grenade. He then holds it for a well deserved picture. (pm me for details regarding the words he used at picture time :lol: )

The day came to a close with more fellowship and I was gone as soon as my head hit the pillow.

The Third Day:

I notice Steve-G had arrived at about 4 am. the following morning. Either that or someone had brought a Pratt and Whitney Jet engine boat! So rather than watch the linens move I arise to find JimW ready for a fish. :P

We head out to try the same place as yesterday but only hook into 10" Pickerel :? So a quick decision and it's off to the sand bar. Guess what? another 10" Pickerel! :? All in all, it was kind of a lack lustre start to the day... the weather was once again reminiscent of Bluffs Bar. (3 foot rollers) My kingdom for a nice day!

It was great meeting you JimW and I hope you have continued success with your outdoors program! :)

Later that evening, I park the Battleship and hook up with a gentleman and scholar, Big-O. We jump in his boat and make it down to the sand bar in about two minutes. :shock: So we set up and start jigging.

Soon after, Big-O gets introduced to my hook-set and up comes a 14" Sauger. (New species for me) It actually was 16 inches because the air bladder is sticking out of it's mouth (Derby point ruling please :lol: )

Two gentlemen named Reid and Tom are fishing close by and want the fish for dinner. So I toss it and like a Blue Jay fielder they miss it! and down she goes... for 10 mins. anyway. They didn't miss it the second time though when Big-O tossed it. (I guess they were real hungry by this time)

So we start talking and next thing you know we're plugging the website to them. Here they are... prospective members! :D

Good old Steve-G, who must have brought Markus's horseshoe with him this weekend, was battling a Catfish and Cracker was doing his best to keep Reid and Tom's tinnie off Steve's new ride while at the same time netting Steve's fish. (My side is still sore from laughter)

Sorry guys, but you wanted to be on the net. :lol:

Then Big-O gets a 22" Pike and I get another species I've never caught... A Ling! How the %&$# do you hold one of these things anyway! Big-O was enjoying every minute! :roll:

Back at the dock the festivities were underway... more great fellowship and a nice sing-song around the campfire, some presentations, a fish fry, thanks Big-O, Topwater, and Duck Gunner who went two hours with no pie! (inside joke), and par-tee-ing til' the wee hours of the morning.

See if you can fill in the blanks... "Hey, Mr J!" response:>"________!"

The Final Day:

Another restful slumber... Thanks Hoss for the ear plugs! :D
I decided to hit a little bay Salmon had mentioned. I didn't get anything but in 20 feet of water I had the most hooks I've ever seen on my sonar, one went from one side of the screen to the other. :shock:
Figures, I found them on the last day...

Thanks everyone (you know who you are) for a great time. You all helped make this trip worthwhile and I would encourage anyone sitting on the fence to jump in and participate in a Fish-Hawk.Net outing! And this was one without Markus! Who could have only made it better!

See you at Charleston Lake!

:) Legend
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Westmeath

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Legend wrote:See if you can fill in the blanks... "Hey, Mr J!" response:>"________!"
Great report Legend... i'm still laughing at Mr. J's response... too funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's not what he said but how he said it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I'm really enjoying everyone's pics & tales! (Thx for the bunny wabbit, topwater!) :wink:

Keep 'em coming...

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Cracker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cracker »

I had a great time! The weather sucked, but the great company made it all worth it.
First, thanks to SteveG for taking me in his new boat for the weekend. It's a great boat that he will get a lot of use for years to come. Because I put the first fish in his new ride, I decided to let him win our 'boat derby. Actually, like he alread said, I put the first 5 fish in, and he still beat me! :oops:
Thanks to 'Hawk, Bobber and RJ for putting on such a great weekend. Thanks to Big O, 'Gunner and Topwater for the fish fry. I hate the two ingredients in the dipping sauce, but together... it was great!
Thanks to BTS and WIG for the camaraderie, sausages and the beer.
Thanks to the people who did the catering... so much food and it was sooo awesome!
A special thanks to my roomie Hoss for not spilling the beans about my pillow-case. :wink:
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hoss »

Now I know why they call these adventure weekends. What a blast.

It all started at a local parking lot where I joined the SW Ontario convoy at 4:30am Thursday.
Several hours later we are at the launch and after a few mishaps got the boats in the water.
WIG and BTS with some finishing touches on the livewell pumps :P

Here's Skooter pushing the backhoe out of his way. :P

While getting my gear ready I spotted Jaz wrestling an oos pike(thursday afternoon) right beside me at the dock.
just in case there is any accusation he fed it and did the rolling pin trick to win the derby here is a pick of it swimming away.

Later that night I took a stab at the catfish with the noodle rod off of the dock and managed to hook into two small ones. Those buggers are fun.(no pics or measure)sorry Cap'n Markus

Here is a pic just for my boat partner Banjo, Unfortunately he was unable to experience a sunrise this weekend so luckily I have this shot... :P :D

Here is Banjo with a first for my boat.... a sauger

Banjo had a great fish on Sunday night that would have made a great pic and a possible contender for the prize. Definately woulda been the biggest pike in my boat.

As for the numbers I believe for the weekend the boat total was 9 pike, 1 catfish and 1 sauger. Plus two cats off the dock.

This was my second adventure weekend and look forward to more in the future. This was organized perfectly so a huge thanks to all who worked to make it happen. From the ride up with the SW Ontario dudes, the cabin, the roomates, BTS and WIGS Sausage with a side of the livewell fries, my fishing pardner, the food, the fishfry and the laughs around the campfire it all went great. It was great to meet and put some new faces to the names and pics. Some people I even met twice(when they would change their clothes)sorry RUK :oops:

A special congrats to MuskieMagnet and Jazman with the derby. Also to Salmon and Dean for the hours on the water and numbers of fish you guys put in the boat. I also thought that it was good of the Fish-Hawk boys to mention and give a little something to WIG, Carp John and Bacon for their contributions to the board.

Looking forward next time on Long Point Bay. :D :D :D
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Enjoyed my first fishing weekend with the Fish-Hawk crowd and to put faces to the names on the board. The times around the camp-fire were hilarious and thanks to Andre for taking me in his boat.
Can't wait till the next time.